Denver, CO
Before care: Yes

Park Hill School 5

Posted March 23, 2014
I have been a PHE parent for 4 years and couldn't be more pleased. My children could both read before entering K and we had no problem sending them there. While certain we could have tested into Polaris, we wanted our children to be part of a community, something hard to find in a large city. We chose not to be part of the crowd outsourcing education for the convenience of dropping off our children downtown. The parental involvement is amazing!. I have no opinion on Dr. Potts as I have had little interaction with her, but I have never heard anything bad on the playground. What most of the reviewers on here lack the courage to say is that there are several kids in every classroom that may require a little more attention as their home situation is less than desirable. Yes, there are minorities who attend Park Hill who don't live on Montview. Yes, there are 7 year olds who have trouble reading because they didn't see a book until their 1st day of school. I will gladly spend a little time with my kids so these children can get an education. In summary, if you think you children should be at a 8th grade after 5th grade, then PHE is not for you.

Posted January 07, 2014
This is an ok school in a great neighborhood. The curriculum is heavily focused on prepping kids for the state standardized tests and very little is done to differentiate in the classroom for gifted students. Class sizes are large and there is a wide disparity of learning abilities in each class. Park Hill teaches to the middle. If your child is highly motivated and working above grade level, don't count on this school to adequately meet their needs.

Posted December 10, 2013
Park Hill is a great school for families who are looking for an "in the box" option. It is a test-heavy, traditional elementary school. Worksheets are a regular at night. Creativity is squelched by a heavy requirement to follow dictated curriculum. I would agree with the other reviewers in terms of the principal. She's average and isn't particularly good with individual concerns. Not seeing she is a good listener when there is a need. This means it is a good school for some, not good for others - thus the average rating. It is a fantastic neighborhood and a good option for a neighborhood school - parents are certainly involved. Heard another parent comment that the principal cultivates parent relationships who become "groupies" and those parents create an environment that can be good for all kids - the parents work very hard to be inclusive and aware. LOTS of amazing enrichment and after school activities.

Park Hill School 5

Posted November 17, 2013
This is a great school with a wonderful community. Lots of parent involvement leads to a great school and Park Hill has this. My student is in 2nd grade and he enjoys his teacher. She is in tune to his strengths and weaknesses. In his weaker areas she has provided helpful advice and work for us to do at home to accompany his work at school. My child's teachers have been accessible and helpful over the past few years. Park Hill has a great music, PE and Art dept as well as a well stocked library. After school there are lots of kids around playing together and making friends.

Posted October 06, 2013
I agree about this school being very average. It's location in this particular neighborhood can't be beat. The hometown feel is very nice. There are some really good teachers here- each grade has one (sometimes two) stand out teachers and if you're smart enough and lucky enough, request your child have them. If you have problems, admin can be less than helpful- the squeeky wheel saying doesn't necessary apply here.

Park Hill School 4

Posted August 22, 2013
This school has really been turned around in the past couple of years by the principal, Tonda Potts. She has improved the teachers and overall feeling at the school. The parent involvement has grown enormously and improving every day.

Posted February 06, 2013
I think this school is average. Considering the neighborhood, the amount of volunteers, education level of the parents and their incomes, it should be exceptional. Our daughter went there through 3rd grade. The teachers are alright but I agree that the leadership is not. We dealt with some bullying type issues and I felt like I got a bunch of lip service. I felt like Dr. Potts did what she had to do to not get into trouble legally but really did not want to be bothered or do any follow up. If you have a kid that needs extra help, you will get it. If you have a middle performing child I think you will be pleased, but if you have a high achieving or bored child, this is not the place. If you are fortunate enough to easily test into a stronger academic school, you will see the difference between average and exceptional.

Posted January 25, 2013
I've had 2 children that have gone through Park Hill. The teachers overall were very good, a few teachers were exceptional. Concerning my last child that had attended Park Hill, I kept thinking that we should change schools but I kept holding out for things to get better. I felt like the boys were treated poorly at Park Hill. It seemed as though they assumed that the boys would be doing all the negative behaviors and many a girls behavior were overlooked. My other concern was that the administration was too quick to bring in the police. I felt like some of the african-american students were treated as if they were criminals. It seemed as though during the last few years that the environment was not up to the previous years. Both my children had there ups and downs at Park Hill. Some of the negative experiences at Park Hill pushed them into choosing schools that they were interested in and in the end motivated them to find an environment that works better for them. I feel fortunate that DPS allows for choice in finding a school that fits.

Park Hill School 2

Posted January 22, 2013
Have to agree with recent posts. Too many concerns about the rigor here. Administration does not do enough to differentiate for higher performing kids. Due to "no child left behind," the higher performing kids get left behind. And don't bother trying to express your concern to the principal here. It won't matter. I so wanted to support my neighborhood school! Sad. The best thing about this school is the wonderful people in the neighborhood.

Park Hill School 1

Posted January 18, 2013
The principal is riding on the coattails of a fairly high-performing student body. I know 2 parents (both DPS teachers) that had concerns with cirriculum and lack of rigor in the classroom. Both had lengthy conversations with school leadership and unfortunately left the conversation feeling more frustrated than before and completely ignored. She's good with talking the talk but not proactive with parental concerns. You have to engage the higher ups in DPS if you want anything done. When you have parents that live within a few block radius from the school, pulling their children out of Park Hill in 3rd and 4th grade, something isn't right...

Park Hill School
5050 East 19th Ave, Denver, CO  80220
Last modified Park Hill School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Park Hill School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top