School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

We've attempted to contact the Great Schools team in order to resolve the issue of our ranking being lower than a neighboring elementary school. Both our latest reported TCAP status (% of students proficient) and growth (ability for students to perform better each year compared to the last year) rank among the top third of schools in DPS. We've also won a Colorado State Award as a Center of Excellence from our Governor for the last several years. Our Eagle Time Block and teacher planning practices help us make sure every student gets what he or she needs every day. Your student will be challenged here if he/she is gifted or if he/she needs more support. Please stop by for a visit as we'd love to show you the many amazing things happening in our school!
November 10, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Message to families

Teacher effectiveness:
SCHOOL LEADER
Teachers receive feedback on their practice every other week as well as plan 2 hours together each week in order to ensure students are getting the best!

Develops character:
SCHOOL LEADER
When students have issues they work through them together using a technique called restorative approaches.
Posted November 10, 2015

The STEM Lab is amazing! Students learn to code, build robots and make films, all while feeling like they are playing! Students also get an hour of time on Chromebook computers each week and are learning to type. All this and regular specials like gym, art and music too! The academic track record of the school speaks for itself, and the new building is beautiful!

Develops character: Agree

The children are reminded daily to own their actions and behavior, whether good or bad and to improve upon that. There is a real sense of fairness that I respect.

My children thrive at Samuels. I have nothing but positivity for their school. All the staff make a huge impact.

Develops character: Strongly agree

One of the Samuels values is "You Own It!", which encourages students to be accountable for their behaviors, good and bad.

I am not sure what the parent who claims her child was being bullied is talking about. Our son has had positive experiences at Samuels. When there was an incident between he and another child, the school staff talked to he and the other child separately and then as a pair to help them work out their issues together. My son now has better tools for advocating for himself. We feel that he has learned a great deal at Samuels, which is one of the reasons the school wins awards each year from the state for achievement. Looking forward to him returning to 3rd grade this year!

his school is full of bullies that never get handled. In the small community area I lived in, there were 4 families who had children who went to school at Samuels and each family experienced EXTREME bullying of their children and a school who did nothing about it. My child was hit, spit on, called names and cursed at and the school's response was there were "steps that needed to be followed" before the offending child could be removed, regardless of the fact that the kid was assaultive and placing others at risk. The other families I have spoken to have reflected the same concerns--bullying that never gets addressed by the school. It was so bad in my case that I pulled my children until the school agreed to follow the plan I created for safety. My kid went from being thrilled to being in school to hating to go---even faked stomachaches to get out of class because of the bullying. I would NEVER recommend this school to anyone. The staff is mostly rude and I'm pretty sure my kids learned nothing here.

Samuels is changing with the times and the student/parent involvement at the school shows it. The community garden, the massive turnout for international night and other events all are recent additions that have coincided with increased test scores and an overall increased feeling of positivity around the school.

Last modified Samuels Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.