South High School

Public | 9-12 | 1400 students

We are best known for our strong academics in a cross-cultural/global environme

Posted Monday, November 24, 2014

The principals only care about test scores and sports. All students are not of their concern. Do not go here!

Posted September 8, 2014

South is a special place that truly must be experienced to really understand how unique it is among all other Colorado high schools. Visionary leaders and thoughtful, engaging teachers. Incredible.

Posted May 22, 2014

There is a culture of inclusiveness and positivity permeating the halls of Denver South. My daughter is just completing her freshman year and South has far surpassed our expectations. She is already earning college credit and could potentially earn more credit if she did well on her AP exams. We love the international students and have realized that the roughly 25-25-25-25 attendance breakdown by race/ethnicity creates a very compelling dynamic. You won't experience any of this in any other Colorado high school.

Posted April 10, 2014

Our daughter is a freshman at Denver South this year. She grew up in the neighborhood and had other high schools she could have chosen to attend but wanted to go to South and has never regretted it. She takes regular, in AP and honors classes, utilizes tutoring and has a good relationship with her supportive teachers. She is involved in sports and in a leadership building elective. She, and we, enjoy the diverse student body which helps her understand different points of view and she has found friends and kindred spirits. We are so glad she is a part of Denver South and so is she!

Posted April 9, 2014

Denver South High school is a hidden gem in the DPS system! The diversity at South is a treasure that is unparalleled and creates a rich learning environment, an opportunity for the students to not only study other cultures in textbooks, but from their fellow students. The teachers at South embrace their unique opportunity, and are led by Dr. Kristin Waters, who is in no uncertain terms, a rock star, charismatic leader, and Principal who is willing to think outside the box and not afraid to implement new ideas.

Posted April 9, 2014

Excellent cultural environment. Teachers, staff & Principal are awesome. It would be fun to have a music band for all our great sports games.

Posted April 9, 2014

Denver South High School My son is a freshman at Denver South High School. We absolutely love the diversity of Denver South. Everyone is from somewhere else so there are no clicks or majority/minority. Students seem to focus more on what can bring them together than what separates them. I have been so impressed by the quality of students that I have interacted with and my son is truly happy to go to school each day! As a parent I also love the communication between the teachers and home as well as the accessibility of the school administration. I know we made a great choice in choosing Denver South! A bonus is that they have great athletics programs and many of the athletes are honors or AP students. Student athletes are held to a higher standard than at other schools we looked at and this was important to me as a parent. At South my son is treated as a young man, a student then an athlete (in that order).

Posted April 8, 2014

I teach French and Spanish at Denver South High School. I love working at South because it is by far the best high school in Denver Public Schools. The student body is very diverse, and our principal, Dr. Kristin Waters is doing an outstanding job. It takes great leadership to run a school as diverse as South. Too bad, my youngest graduated high school last year, or else he would be attending South!

Posted April 8, 2014

I have found South HS to be very open to assisting my daughter and willing to work with me to understand her needs and learning challenges. I really appreciate the teachers being willing to contact me and inform me about what they are working on, what tasks my daughter needs to do, and how I can support her at home. This is very important to me as her parent!

Posted April 8, 2014

This is my second year at South and I have truly been pleased with my children's academic experience here. The teachers are engaged and push the students to aim high. The diversity and culture at South asked the students to interact and learn about other nationalities that you won't find in other schools.

Posted April 7, 2014

My school is a great academic environment,..... it's friendly, warm and inviting to students, staff and parents!

Posted April 7, 2014

There's something special happening at South. When I walk these halls I see diversity being celebrated in the athletics, classrooms and friendships that thrive here. There is an atmosphere of respect and an honest desire to learn from our students. I feel incredibly lucky to be a part of it and cannot wait until my own 2 children walk through these doors as Rebels.

Posted April 7, 2014

South High School is full of wonderful students with different backgrounds. Every child has an opportunity to grow and learn from different perspectives.

Posted April 7, 2014

My school is one of the most extraordinary high schools on the planet. With students from all over the world, it is impossible to not expand your perspective and understanding of the world at large when you go to South. I am impressed by my colleagues and their commitments to our kids. Next year my beloved niece will start school at South--having come from a very privileged and fancy education myself, I would NEVER let my niece attend a school that I did not believe offered an EXCELLENT education. I am so proud to work here.

Posted April 7, 2014

My school is a place I look forward to going to everyday. The students, community, and staff contribute to an atmosphere of mutual respect, diversity, and continuous learning that is palpable throughout the school.

Posted January 28, 2014

I love this school. I came from a worse school, and this is an improvement. I love the variety of students from different places all over the world. The principal and teachers actually seem involved and seem to care about the students. The students seem interested in learning and are accepting of everyone. I recommend this for your child; and if they feel they don't fit in or afraid of being bullied, they don't have to worry about it here.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 21, 2014

I love South. It is literally the best school I've ever attended. I transferred from Wheat Ridge my junior year, and instantly fell in love with the charm this school has to offer. I have had a few issues with some teachers, but that's expected. I've also had some incredible teachers. South is also very diverse. At least 5 kids in each of my classes are from a different country. What a way to learn about about the world! I'm graduating this spring but can't wait to come back and visit. Would definitely reccomend this school!
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 28, 2013

I highly recommend South High School to parents searching for a school that is culturally diverse to embrace the chance to get to know the students, teacher and staff. I have enjoyed the atmosphere every time I go to South I learn a few new words of a different language spoken. As a parent of two teenagers at South the school has broadened there horizons. They are taking honors, AP classes and succeeding my expectations.

Posted October 29, 2012

Our family has recently experienced how caring the teachers and staff at South are. My daughter has had some health issues which inluded being hospitalized 2 times and missing at least 11 days of school. Each teacher made sure to check in with her when she was able to attend school and they are helping her catch up. Everyone was concerned for her wellbeing. I would like to also add that her big sister (South Alum) is a Freshman at CSU, is currently taking advanced courses & is earning 4 points in all her classes

Posted August 25, 2012

We do good work here. I am bringing my own daughter here. She wil have more opportunities at South than at her home school.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

403 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

404 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 55% in 2013.

404 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 51% in 2013.

280 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 49% in 2013.

All Students21%

Proficient in English53%
Immigrant4%
Neither migrant nor immigrant35%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

3 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Colorado high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 18% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 73%N/A41%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Merrill Middle School
Grant Beacon Middle School
Morey Middle School
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 30% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 65% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 2% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 2% (2013)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 1% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation University of Colorado
Colorado State University
Metropolitan State College
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Amharic
Arabic languages
French
Japanese
Russian
Spanish
Several Others
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Daniels Funds Scholarships (2014)
  • Mile High Scholars (2014)
  • Mayor's Council (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Special olympics

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Robotics club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room
  • Yearbook

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club

• 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
  • Dr. Kristin Waters
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Global
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs
  • Other
  • Spanish
Vocational or skills-based training offered
  • None

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Acceleration
  • Career/college counseling
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Media arts
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Amnesty international
  • Drama club
  • Drill team
  • Drum Circle
  • Environmental
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
  • Foreign language and culture club
  • Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
  • Homework help/study buddy club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Community Partnership Board
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor