Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted May 04, 2016
We came from a terrible middle school experience and have found that under the leadership of Dr. Waters, all of the teachers have been wonderful/caring mentors to our daughter. The sense of community is very strong and we love the international aspect of the school. Much more like a real world experience!

South High School
Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 04, 2016
Mr. Aubin has gone above and beyond to offer guidance and support to our daughter over the past 2 years. He checks in with us from time to time to get our take on how she is doing. He has even given her alternatives for doing coursework that works best with her learning style. He has been an amazing mentor to her and partner with us during her high school years.

Posted February 14, 2016
I shadowed at this school and it was amazing very diverse the students are very nice and helpful hopefully i get in this school. I would definitely recommend your kid going there

South High School 4

Posted May 24, 2015
I must admit to having a great deal of anxiety as I performed my due diligence on High Schools for my children to attend. I even investigated private school options and expanded my search to encompass most of the Denver Metro area. I have relatives in the southern suburbs and heard a great deal from them as to why I would be crazy to enroll my kids in a DPS High School, so I even contemplated moving in order to ensure my kids benefited from the best education I could provide them. Between such strongly worded counsel and the less than glowing appraisals of South at places like this site, I was on the verge of making a huge leap. Then I remembered what brought me to the Washington Park neighborhood in the first place. Traditional neighborhoods and tree lined streets, active parks and big porches that draw economically diverse people out into the open where community can take form. Its streets are narrow and sidewalks are old but there is a sort of genius visible to those willing to see beyond its surface. So, I made the effort to look again at our neighborhood school and see if there was something deeper than raw test scores and economic struggles of many students and their families. It was there all along, I just hadn't taken note as I maintained my focus on the caution lights being flashed in my face. If you spend time speaking with the people who work there and the students they serve, it rises like smoke from a concealed flame. There is an opportunity here for the kind of education that goes well beyond IB programs, AP classes, and athletic programs. Give it some time and I think you'll see it, too. The truth is that my children have been high performers their whole lives, the beneficiaries of attentive parents with economic resources to spare. There are many good schools with caring faculty and competent administration, and my children were likely to thrive in any safe environment with opportunities to learn. This is bigger than that, though. South High School is an opportunity for them to experience life in all its diversity and attendant challenges and beauties, to understand struggles they have never known, and to see beyond societal veneers and broad labels which plague so many in the world today. I can't guarantee that South High School is for you or your children, but I challenge you to find greater opportunity than what is found here.

South High School 1

Posted November 24, 2014
The principals only care about test scores and sports. All students are not of their concern. Do not go here!

Posted September 08, 2014
South is a special place that truly must be experienced to really understand how unique it is among all other Colorado high schools. Visionary leaders and thoughtful, engaging teachers. Incredible.

Posted May 22, 2014
There is a culture of inclusiveness and positivity permeating the halls of Denver South. My daughter is just completing her freshman year and South has far surpassed our expectations. She is already earning college credit and could potentially earn more credit if she did well on her AP exams. We love the international students and have realized that the roughly 25-25-25-25 attendance breakdown by race/ethnicity creates a very compelling dynamic. You won't experience any of this in any other Colorado high school.

Posted April 10, 2014
Our daughter is a freshman at Denver South this year. She grew up in the neighborhood and had other high schools she could have chosen to attend but wanted to go to South and has never regretted it. She takes regular, in AP and honors classes, utilizes tutoring and has a good relationship with her supportive teachers. She is involved in sports and in a leadership building elective. She, and we, enjoy the diverse student body which helps her understand different points of view and she has found friends and kindred spirits. We are so glad she is a part of Denver South and so is she!

Posted April 09, 2014
Denver South High school is a hidden gem in the DPS system! The diversity at South is a treasure that is unparalleled and creates a rich learning environment, an opportunity for the students to not only study other cultures in textbooks, but from their fellow students. The teachers at South embrace their unique opportunity, and are led by Dr. Kristin Waters, who is in no uncertain terms, a rock star, charismatic leader, and Principal who is willing to think outside the box and not afraid to implement new ideas.

Posted April 09, 2014
Excellent cultural environment. Teachers, staff & Principal are awesome. It would be fun to have a music band for all our great sports games.

South High School
1700 East Louisiana Avenue, Denver, CO  80210
Last modified South High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.