Denver, CO
Students enrolled: 1,400
After care: No

South High School 1

Posted November 24, 2014
The principals only care about test scores and sports. All students are not of their concern. Do not go here!

Posted September 08, 2014
South is a special place that truly must be experienced to really understand how unique it is among all other Colorado high schools. Visionary leaders and thoughtful, engaging teachers. Incredible.

Posted May 22, 2014
There is a culture of inclusiveness and positivity permeating the halls of Denver South. My daughter is just completing her freshman year and South has far surpassed our expectations. She is already earning college credit and could potentially earn more credit if she did well on her AP exams. We love the international students and have realized that the roughly 25-25-25-25 attendance breakdown by race/ethnicity creates a very compelling dynamic. You won't experience any of this in any other Colorado high school.

Posted April 10, 2014
Our daughter is a freshman at Denver South this year. She grew up in the neighborhood and had other high schools she could have chosen to attend but wanted to go to South and has never regretted it. She takes regular, in AP and honors classes, utilizes tutoring and has a good relationship with her supportive teachers. She is involved in sports and in a leadership building elective. She, and we, enjoy the diverse student body which helps her understand different points of view and she has found friends and kindred spirits. We are so glad she is a part of Denver South and so is she!

Posted April 09, 2014
Denver South High school is a hidden gem in the DPS system! The diversity at South is a treasure that is unparalleled and creates a rich learning environment, an opportunity for the students to not only study other cultures in textbooks, but from their fellow students. The teachers at South embrace their unique opportunity, and are led by Dr. Kristin Waters, who is in no uncertain terms, a rock star, charismatic leader, and Principal who is willing to think outside the box and not afraid to implement new ideas.

Posted April 09, 2014
Excellent cultural environment. Teachers, staff & Principal are awesome. It would be fun to have a music band for all our great sports games.

Posted April 09, 2014
Denver South High School My son is a freshman at Denver South High School. We absolutely love the diversity of Denver South. Everyone is from somewhere else so there are no clicks or majority/minority. Students seem to focus more on what can bring them together than what separates them. I have been so impressed by the quality of students that I have interacted with and my son is truly happy to go to school each day! As a parent I also love the communication between the teachers and home as well as the accessibility of the school administration. I know we made a great choice in choosing Denver South! A bonus is that they have great athletics programs and many of the athletes are honors or AP students. Student athletes are held to a higher standard than at other schools we looked at and this was important to me as a parent. At South my son is treated as a young man, a student then an athlete (in that order).

Posted April 08, 2014
I teach French and Spanish at Denver South High School. I love working at South because it is by far the best high school in Denver Public Schools. The student body is very diverse, and our principal, Dr. Kristin Waters is doing an outstanding job. It takes great leadership to run a school as diverse as South. Too bad, my youngest graduated high school last year, or else he would be attending South!

South High School 4

Posted April 08, 2014
I have found South HS to be very open to assisting my daughter and willing to work with me to understand her needs and learning challenges. I really appreciate the teachers being willing to contact me and inform me about what they are working on, what tasks my daughter needs to do, and how I can support her at home. This is very important to me as her parent!

Posted April 08, 2014
This is my second year at South and I have truly been pleased with my children's academic experience here. The teachers are engaged and push the students to aim high. The diversity and culture at South asked the students to interact and learn about other nationalities that you won't find in other schools.

South High School
1700 East Louisiana Ave, Denver, CO  80210
Last modified South High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 56 reviews. Top