Denver, CO
Before care: Yes

Posted October 11, 2014
I've watched the school only improve since our new principal came on board. The staff knows all the children really well and what their needs are. They strive to support all kids at all levels. It's been great. My only complaint is that they combined the K/1 classes. I don't think that first graders and kindergarteners should share a classroom, at least for the first part of the year. Still, they made sure that my kids were learning and having fun. The support from the community makes it a very special school.

Posted March 24, 2014
We had our child enrolled at a well regarded private school but Steele contacted us a little over a week prior to the start date to let us know they had a spot for our child. We had to forefeit one full year of tuition to opt with Steele which we ended up doing and have been pleased. There is a high degree of parental involvement and much success with fund-raiding which means the kids have access to amenities they might not otherwise (including a second teacher in every room). As is the case with any environment, there are flaws. But my child now has an enthusiasm for learning that she never had in several years of pre-school and every day she looks forward to school. Worth it at any price.

Posted November 13, 2013
We have choiced this school 2 years ago for my 2 boys. I've never been pleased before like I was when they were at Steele. I am very sorry that we had to leave the school because we moved to another district. Teachers are very friendly, they welcome each parent as if they have known you for years, very responsive to parent's questions. Very friendly environment. We loved the British classrooms, it has been very helpful for my kids. Really for us it was a super school.

Steele Elementary School 1

Posted February 01, 2013
the school has lack of diversity and poor special education services. we live here but have tried to choice out for a couple of years running. the school is great for the average kid but lacks creativity in helping the child that lands outside of the box to thrive.

Posted February 21, 2012
The PTA is very involved and raises enough money to help provide a second educator in every single classroom at Steele, cutting down the teacher to student ratio. This is unheard of in almost any other school in Denver. There are wonderful teachers, a successful dedicated leader in Principal Boyer, and combined age classrooms (ie-1/2 and 3/4/5) in the British Primary classrooms and the contemporary classrooms. And the school's innovative and award winning garden program provides healthy eating options in the cafeteria. The enrichment options are endless: healthy cooking, sports camp, dance, running programs, drawing and art, science, 4H, and Spanish. As parents, we have been very happy with the social and academic education our child is receiving at Steele.

Posted April 03, 2011
I choiced into Steele Elementary about 8 years ago, and I really liked it. I had a lot of great friends, and great teachers. I also was very prepared for Middle School, even though I am in the IPM program at Hamilton. I think this was mainly because of the homework I got in third through fifth grades. While it wasn't much compared to the amount I get now, my teacher's style forced us to plan our time wisely, making it much easier to finish the assignments well that I get in Middle School. Also, my teachers cared for the students and did their best to give their students the best opportunities. For example, if you excel at spelling, you may get spelling words from online sources like the Scripps National Spelling bee instead of from the other students' sources. Overall, I was very pleased with Steele, and I felt it was a great choice that my family and I made when deciding to choice in there.

Steele Elementary School 4

Posted February 25, 2011
We choices into Steele 5 years ago and our daughter has been very happy. if it is any testament to Steele our daughter was just excepted to the advanced IPM program at Hamilton middle school, she also got inTo Morey high strides and GALS. As with all schools it's the teacher that matters most. We have had a couple issues but overall she has done very well. We were contemporary for one year and BP for four. Both programs are great and equally represented in the school. Chef Andy and the seed to table program are truly awesome- we even got a salad bar which we supplement with our own garden produce put into our cafeteria! It is true that Steele has had way too many principals but this was due to a voracious parent population which was both positive and negative- we have one of the strongest PTAs and are able to fund extra educators in every classroom reducing the student teacher ratio because of parent involvement. Overall I would send my child here again and will be sad to leave at the end of this fifth grade year!

Steele Elementary School 3

Posted May 25, 2010
I think this is a fine school if you have an average child, e.g., one who does not have special needs or is gifted and talented, highly gifted and talented, etc. The front office staff is great, and very responsive to parents. The school is becoming overcrowded, like most schools in Denver. This is not a terribly diverse school, though, but that may not be a priority for some.

Steele Elementary School 0

Posted September 25, 2009
The school has a wonderful sense of community through it's parent involvement, community garden (and seed to table program), farmers market, and student activities. The children (and parents) love the facility with a planetarium, well stocked library, and wonderful, caring teachers!

Posted September 25, 2009
Everything. Great school, great pta, great teachers.

Steele Elementary School
320 South Marion Parkway, Denver, CO  80209
Last modified Steele Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Steele Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top