Denver, CO

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

At Teller we always … Ask questions. Share ideas. Cite evidence. Celebrate growth! Our staff is committed to living out the shared values within Denver Public Schools. These values are Students First, Integrity, Equity, Collaboration, Accountability and Fun!
August 13, 2015

Posted August 20, 2015
I transferred my son, who has special needs, into the 4th grade at Teller last year and I couldn't be happier with the school. His classroom teacher was outstanding. She made school safe and fun for him. He reported no issues with being bullied, which is a big deal for him. He also made excellent academic progress. My son's whole demeanor changed because he felt valued by his teachers and peers and because he was being challenged and included at school. I owe a debt of gratitude to Teller Elementary. I feel that it is a hidden gem--a neighborhood school with well-rounded instruction, enrichment classes like music and art, in an urban and diverse setting.

Develops empathy: no rating

- a school leader
Teller Scholars come to school daily with a positive attitude and ready to learn. Teller Scholars always: Engage in their learning with joy, enthusiasm and zest. Make positive assumptions about the actions of others. Work as a team. Are kind to others. Show optimism about their learning and the learning of others. Appreciate beauty and excellence. Love learning.

Develops honesty: no rating

- a school leader
Teller Scholars show integrity in their actions. Teller Scholars always: Choose to do the right thing even when no one is watching. Stand up for Scholars who may be treated unkindly by others. Bravely stand up for what is right. Tell the truth even when it is difficult. Know and follow school rules. Take care of their school as a place of excellence for all. Know when to use their best judgment or ask for help in tricky situations. Use self control.

Teller Elementary School
Amount of homework: no rating

- a school leader
At Teller Elementary School academic excellence for all Scholars is the standard. We strive to provide rigorous learning experiences throughout the school day that extend learning beyond the classroom by providing engaging and challenging homework. These experiences support learning in the classroom, while preparing Scholars with the necessary study skills they will need to be successful learners in middle school, high school and college. Homework will be assigned Monday through Thursday. As a general rule, Scholars should have fifteen minutes of homework each night per the grade in which they are. For example, a 3rd grade student will have 45 minutes of homework, while a 5th grade student will have 75 minutes of homework.

Develops grit: no rating

- a school leader
Teller Scholars are determined learners. Teller Scholars always: Keep trying even when a problem is challenging. Show grit and perseverance! Ask questions when they want to know more or when they don’t understand. Say, “I can…with help...” instead of “I can’t” when they are challenged. Have confidence that they are all inspired learners. Back up their claims with evidence from their learning.

Develops respect: no rating

- a school leader
Teller Scholars show kindness and respect to all persons in the school. Teller Scholars always: Track the speaker and give their full attention in class. Celebrate their own successes and the successes of others. Win and lose games with humility. Work and play fairly. Help others continue to persevere. Use appropriate language. Share joy in laughter. Think carefully before they say things to or about another Scholar. Keep hands, feet, and objects to themselves.

Posted November 30, 2014
I can't say enough about our amazing school. We have an excellent theater, music, art and physical education program. The teachers and staff are phenomenal, as well as the family involvement is beyond amazing. We are so lucky to be a part of this community. We have a school garden and the produce is served in the cafeteria. Other special things about our school is the back pack program, sending food home on Friday's to families in need. The Penny Harvest teaches our kids to be young philanthropists and donate pennies collected to organizations of their choice. We have a wide range of enrichment programs including Math rocks, knitting, cooking classes, fashion classes, hip hop, ballet, gymnastics, soccer, etc. Overall, I feel privileged to send my two kids to this great school!!

Posted May 24, 2014
My 3 children attend(ed) this school. We have nothing but positive things to say. The three of them have different learning styles. Each of their needs have been met. Love all of the staff and teachers.

Teller Elementary School 4

Posted May 24, 2014
Teller Elementary is a wonderful community based school that provides a good education and a diverse student body. Our music department led by Jennifer Bartos is amazing and I love that my children go to a school where the arts are appreciated and celebrated. Ms. Down's, the principal, attends all PTA meetings and makes herself available for parents as well. Anytime there has been a situation at Teller, Ms. Down's has made every effort to be involved and rectify the situation. There has been teacher turnover in recent years, but in my opinion, that has been necessary to create a stronger teacher community and keep Teller moving forward. My son has since graduated from Teller and was fully prepared for the rigorous academics of his chartered middle school. I am confident that my two children who still attend Teller will be amply prepared as well.

1150 Garfield St, Denver, CO  80206
Last modified Teller Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Teller Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 52 reviews. Top