Bad
Good

best community of parens and teachers around! cafeteria staff wonderful and on site breakfast program as well as before and afterschool care terrific!

Please don't let the Great Schools rating fool you. I am not sure how they come up with their rating system as we have been at a 1 since we started at the school and our scores have gone up every year. Last year's 3rd grade class had 60% proficient or advanced and those stats were for both native English speakers and native Spanish speakers. That means that we do not have an achievement gap between those 2 populations (which is amazing!). Kids who are learning a 2nd language also often have a dip in standardized test scores before they end up surpassing their peers after about 3rd/ 4th grade. If that is the case here then our kids are doing even better than expected. I don't think GreatSchools takes into account our improved test scores, our amazing parent involvement (including the fact that the PTO provides funding for our art teacher, free or reduced cost enrichment classes for all students, Spanish and English classes, etc). In addition, to they take into account that all of our students in ECE thru 5th grade are mastering English and Spanish? This school is an amazing place that is unfairly rated a 1 by Great Schools.

Valdez Elementary is one of the most progressive, energetic schools in the DPS system. My child is thriving there, and has made enormous progress in learning Spanish. The teachers are inspired and devoted, and families are dedicated to making this exceptional school work.

Compared to other schools don't know, but the culture at the school seem to lack substance. The way the no child left behind is implemented in this school is leaving the English speaking children out in the cold. Bilingual program is the worst I have ever seen. My child was bilingual before now she will not speak two languages, I believe its because of the way it set up at this school. 15 minutes of sitting out in the hall way to have someone read in a 2nd language is not what I imagined their bilingual program to be.

I have a problem with some of the staff at Valdez I have children and siblings that go to this school. One of my kids that happens to be my little brother has been Bullyed for their weight and teased cause our mother passed as for my little sister she gets made fun of. So when I go and talk to the staff all I get is that they will talk to the kids and call the parents. Things don't change they keep happening. I've have asked for a conference between the other parents and my self they just say we don't do that here but they do it in Jr high and high school to help fix the issue. It's sad that when a parent is asking for help there is none. Whether wait for a TRAGEDY to say there should have been more done.

Wonderful school!! I have three children here and am happier each yr. with the consistent progression of every part of this school!

the teachers are the best they always let me know how my kids are doing and let me know tips on how to help keep learning at the level at home if they have concerns or questions they always let me know asap they are always on top of my childrens learning i trust them completely with my kids learning and well being!!!

It combines Dual-Language (Spanish and English) and Montessori curricula, helping Spanish-speaking students get a head start toward academic excellence, and English-speaking students get an enriching immersion experience in a second language.

The youngest children are in Montessori dual Spanish-English program that encourages creativity and self discipline and celebrates the diversity of the neighborhood.

My son attended first grade here after transferring from out of state. The caliber of the teachers and prinicpal is fantastic! My son's understanding of spanish has skyrocketed and he has excelled in literacy. At the beginning of the year I will say they were disorganized, but that quickly got fixed. I always felt the teachers were accesible and always took a minute with me to discuss my son's progress. I encourage parents to send their kids to this school!!!

Last modified Valdez Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.