Denver, CO
Before care: Yes

Posted November 28, 2011
This school has a clear understannding of the population and community it serves. Almost all the staff has been there for some time and the school culure provides effective maangement and discipline techniques in the classroom and out.

Posted November 02, 2011
This is our first year at Whittier. My daughter (ece) and my son (middle school) loves going to school every day. I love the small class sizes and strong parent/ teacher involvement. I am really impressed how active the principle, Mr. Palmer is with the students. The spirit of Whittier is unbeatable, no wonder they are now a "green" school! (One of very few in the NE district)

Posted October 08, 2011
I am an active parent and I treasure Whittier K-8. Are you a potential Whittier K-8 parent? Come visit Whittier and see for yourself. See the smiling faces, hard-working students and staff and the small school environment filled with high expectations which makes Whittier one of the top-ranked schools in the Near Northeast. Come to a PTA meeting (every 2nd Tuesday, 5:30-7:00 pm in the cafeteria) and witness our PTA which is deeply involved, diverse, fun and beloved by the staff and the students. Come spend a day in our middle school and see what I see which is engaged students, passionate teachers and a safe, structured environment. Do not base a decision on what you read below. Come see for yourself.

Posted August 28, 2011
I was very sad to leave Whittier K-8. My son attended from Kindergarten to 5th grade. The principal, Mr. Palmer, is exceptional with the students and his staff. He always made time for me when I had questions or problems. The teachers and paras are loved by the students. I must say, I am truly impressed by the art teacher Ms. Lee. My son came home with such wonderful art work, I framed it to hang up. I miss my Whittier 'family' already!

Posted March 10, 2011
My son and daughter both attend Whittier. I love that the school is smaller, I know my children won't fall between the cracks academically. The principle is VERY active in the school, I know he wants every child to succeed. Whittier is a great choice.

Whittier K-8 School 1

Posted March 10, 2011
The adminstration staff is lackluster, they tend to ignore problems and make it out to be the child's issues. Parent teacher conferences are non-existant, bullying is a major issue at this school. Please don't send your child here for middle school. Try any of the other schools in the area first.

Posted March 01, 2011
As a very active parent at Whittier, I don't disagree with the concern expressed by the review below. Whittier is working hard on the issues raised through those questions. But, it is also important to compare Whittier's 3rd-5th grade student responses to the district averages as well as other schools in the neighborhood. For example, the Whittier student responses on question 14 are similar to other students at other schools.

Posted March 01, 2011
This school inspires me everyday as I walk its halls. The majority of the negative reviews you will read come from a group of parents that left the school over 3 years ago who equated parental involvement with parental control. They demanded special privileges for their children and tried to force the staff to change the entire culture of the school. When the staff refused, they tried to get the principal fired. To me, that is not parental involvment. Whittier has a strict, but warm atmosphere. Whittier is a safe place. Whittier has implemented many positive discipline techniques. Whittier fosters amazing academic growth. Whittier has 0% teacher turnover. Our 1st grade daughter reads above grade level and adores her school. Whittier has an active, diverse PTA. Whittier's principal listens and acts when the PTA shares concerns. Prospective parents: visit the school and talk to current Whittier parents.

Whittier K-8 School 1

Posted December 08, 2010
Before sending your child to this school check out the DPS web site and read the School Satisfaction Survey filled out by the students. Pay close attention to the answers to questions 13 and 14 for the Grade 3-5 students. I'm glad I did before enrolling my child.

Posted October 20, 2010
I have had my son at Whittier since Kindergarten and he is now in fifth grade. I have seen the school go through some changes: There is now a PTA, the CSC is active and the students now wear uniforms.. The things that haven't changed are the strong leadership of the principal, most of the staff and the strict, caring environment. I am so glad this is my neighborhood school.

Whittier K-8 School
2480 Downing St, Denver, CO  80205
Last modified Whittier K-8 School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Whittier K-8 School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top