Denver, CO
Before care: Yes

Posted December 22, 2014
We are new to Slavens this year--our son just started 6th grade and our daughter is in 3rd. We are so impressed with the dedication, knowledge and professionalism of the teachers and staff. Our kids are challenged and valued as learners and leaders--the new Leader in Me program has established a strong school culture and character development. The students get PE every day, full-time paraprofessionals at each grade level, and state-of-the-art STEM lab instruction all supported by community fundraising and involvement. We are so happy to be at Slavens!

Posted June 18, 2014
This school is amazing! 5 stars all the way! I had 3 kids here one who just graduated and he loved it! He liked the teachers and students. He made many friends throughout the year. He had very many academic troubles in the beginning of the year but by the end he was an advanced student! I also have a now 7th grader who couldn't love slavens more she was new last year and they all gave her a warm welcome. She is advanced in all subjects and her teachers helped her be this way. She comes home everyday having a new story to tell and has new friends! She's a very popular girl. Her friends love her and they are great influences. Also, I have and 4th grader and she is a genius because of her teachers who are amazing they have helped her south this year! And she has great friends and I couldn't be happier with my kids experience with slavens! Slavens is an amazing school I would highly recommend for you to send your kids to slavens they will love it!
2 people found this helpful

Slavens K-8 School 1

Posted March 06, 2014
This is an awful school there's so much racism going on here. Not only the students but the whole administration. I've wrote a few reviews on our experience here at Slavens and for some reason someone keeps deleting them. Please be aware if your not white or rich this is not the school for you because you will definitely be treated different. It is sad that such a great school has much racism going on.

Posted January 21, 2014
This school is exactly what it is proud to be: A public school that offers a private school experience. The parents are elitist and pass that attitude on to their children. Low-income need not apply. My daughters were both bullied throughout their middle school years for not wearing name-brand clothing, for wearing band T-shirts, and for being on the reduced lunch program. I was told by one of the teachers that we would have fewer problems if I would just "make her wear pink more often." My older daughter's best friend was bullied for being gay so constantly that he transferred out of the school at the end of the year because the attitude of the administration is that "our children know better" so there are no consequences handed down. Slavens is a good school academically, but it's also a socially elitist school, and does not provide an equitable experience for all students.

Posted November 17, 2013
As a parent of two children (a boy and a girl) on her 10th year at Slavens, I can say without reservation that Slavens is a unique and wonderful school. The parental involvement is off the charts, and various fundraising mechanisms allow this school to have all the "extras" associated with private schools, including paras in all elementary school classrooms, an arts program, a brand new STEM lab (2013-2014 year), and thanks to the DPS Bond offering, a new building wing with a large gym, cafeteria, library, band room and more. At the same time, the school only has 3 classrooms per grade (including in Middle School), so that is a nice bonus. The only downside is that it is not very socio-economically or ethnically/racially diverse.

Slavens K-8 School 1

Posted August 02, 2013
My niece moved to Denver last year and we were so excited for her to go to Slavens because that is where my siblings and I went. However, she has had a terrible time there. The school is very elitist and if you are not in the clique, you don't count. She has been bullied to the point that she doesn't want to go back. Her mother is looking for another school for her. The academics are O.K., but the atmosphere breeds snobbery and condescending attitudes among the children. Something we certainly don't need anymore of in this world!

Posted July 17, 2013
I went to Slavens from kindergarten all the way through 8th grade and although the education side is fantastic the teachers, parents, and even the children have this sense of "entitlement." My brother was bullied quite a lot by the kids because of his learning disabilities and the administration didn't do anything to see that this was no longer an issue. Hardly any diversity and there's a "no liberal" think attitude towards anyone that isn't a rich, white republican that has some kind of title on the school board and this is exactly the sort of thing that makes kids that transfer school enjoy their new school better. Overall, great school but too conservative in their thinking.

Posted April 06, 2013
We are relocating back to Denver, and I have made three attempts to contact the staff to schedule a tour and to find out how the middle school transition works. The office staff is not welcoming and seems to have a sense of entitlement, I suppose because of the school's reputation. Calls do not get transferred properly, so I have yet to successfully reach or leave a message for the administrative staff. These communication failures by the frontline staff are very concerning because, since they are being tolerated and perpetuated, it signals that there are communications breakdowns that run much deeper, likely from the top down. The impression I get is that this is a school that is riding on coattails of prior performance and that genuine caring and continuous improvement efforts are dwindling. I also get the impression that this school is over-burdened because everyone is trying to funnel into the best dpsk12 schools. There are just not enough "excellent" schools to accommodate the population expecting strong education options. I am not impressed with what I have experienced despite the scores and reputation.

Posted April 04, 2013
My son is in the fourth grade and has attended since Kindergarten. We are extremely pleased with the teachers, environment, and classmates at Slavens. Slavens was recently won an "Excellent" rating by DPS for both elementary and middle school, as well as the prestigious National Blue Ribbon, given to only 269 school in the nation. In addition, they've recently added on to the school's buildings and infrastructure. As for the teachers, I'm constantly amazed how engaged, productive, and available they are. They do amazing work. The parents are super-involved, which, despite the naysayers, is a good thing. Better to be too involved than not enough. In summary, we're very pleased with Slavens. I feel that my son is getting an excellent education, in a healthy environment, with a good bunch of kids.

Posted March 07, 2013
We have two children at this school. Our oldest child struggled to learn to read in Kindergarten and by 1st grade the teachers suggested a school reading specialist pull her out to help her get to grade level. She continued with this reading and writing specialist and by the end of second grade she was on grade level in reading. Her math struggles were so severe that she entered special ed for math in the second grade with the introduction of an IEP (Individualized Education Plan). She was so far behind in math in 2nd and 3rd grade, but she made progress at a speed that was comfortable for her, meaning she did not follow the same curriculum as the rest of her grade. Now she is in 4th grade and because of the specialized attention from her special ed teacher, she is now doing the same work as the rest of the class and has gained a tremendous amount of confidence. Slavens is a community of families who care about the quality of the education provided to its' children. Fundraising is a necessary part of this process. The school is growing with the addition of classroom space, new gym, new art room, new music room and new library, and in 2013-14 a STEM lab.

Slavens K-8 School
3000 South Clayton St, Denver, CO  80210
Last modified Slavens K-8 School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Slavens K-8 School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top