Denver School Of The Arts

Public | 6-12 | 1051 students

Posted September 16, 2009

Denver School of the Arts is a place where all students are valued for their gifts and individuality.

Posted September 16, 2009

This the only school I've ever worked for that puts the arts first rather than sublimating it to 'elective' status. As a visual arts teacher, I work with students in a 7-year program to develop artistic skill and personal voice. We teach everything from math to professional business skills through the arts here. Our students are motivated through their art form to become responsible citizens of the planet and the creative thinkers of tomorrow.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 7, 2009

My son is in his second year (10th) of going to DSA. This school has changed his life for the better. He loves the school so much that he is willing to wake up at 4:55 am to attend. The experience and exposure DSA has offered my son makes it the place to be when you want to become an experienced professional in your major. To be honest, going in, I had doubts about the school, but the change it has made in my son, makes it all so worth it!

Posted August 30, 2009

I have been attending Denver School of the Arts since I was in 6th grade, making this my fourth year. Denver school of the arts is an excellent school for students dedicated to their art and want to get professional help for your art. It provides over the top education both for academic and in your major. Some students may not agree, but in order to truly enjoy this school, you must have a strong passion for it. I love Denver School of the Arts, and I hope you decide you do too.

Posted April 14, 2009

Hello!! I go to D.S.A and right now i'm in 6th grade. The most heard rumour outside is that this school is for preppy kids. That is not true. i have many friends who don't even get enough money to liv ein a small house. The elctives and teachers there are great too. Especially Mr. Mediatore, the math teacher. if your kid never liked math like i did, they will when you get in 6th grade math. Mr.Mediatore is a very generous person. He is funny, and every body at our school thinks he is awesome. The electives can teach great things too, like piano or typing. Those are just one of many electives. If your kid gets in ti D.S.A, Congrats!!!

Posted March 14, 2009

My student has been at DSA for 3 years and will graduate next year. I would not recommend DSA for every student. What I usually tell friends who ask is, 'If you are happy where you are and feel you are being academically challenged, then stay put.' Otherwise, DSA is a good option. Academically it is adequate and AP classes offer some challenge. What makes the school special is the environment. Nobody is considered 'popular' because everybody is generally accepted for who they are. The diversity prepares students for the real world. My student has loved it and wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Posted February 28, 2009

hi, i'm a student at DSA and i've been attending since sixth grade. although things are kid of disorganized at school once your in the rhythm of you students and teachers you know your way around. Fitting in isnt hard at all because in the end you always have something in common with everybody in your major. Although as a student, we complain its really the best school you can attend if your passionate about your art form. There is rumor that the acedemics are weak because of our arts but i've had a pretty great education because the teachers acknowledge our demands of our art major and try to encorporate the majors into their projects and classwork. When in your major they can be pretty demanding because all the majors have some sort of deadline or another but when you love your art it doesnt seem like school work anymore!

Posted February 1, 2009

Great school for the artistic. My granddaughter attends with a dance major. My concern is that at DSA they are required to pick up so many dance class outside of the school. She just participated in the International Association of Black Dancers and the more proficient performers attended schools (i.e., Duke Ellington and Cleveland Schools of Arts) where all their requirements were met in the school. They took their academics during regular school hours and they danced three hours at the end of the day. This frees up students to do homework and be kids as well. Maybe DSA could incorporate this into their curriculum.

Posted December 31, 2008

I attend this school and believe that im not challenged at all! The teachers seem to all have issues and i dont enjoy it at all

Posted December 16, 2008

just commenting on the comment made on Nov. 26 DSA is an amazing school. I am a new student this year, and it is weird. It took me a month to adjust to the diversity and freedom. It does not lack disipline! they just alow use to be ourselves. also passing period is a time to socialize and let extra energy out, because we work llyrea hard during class, and can't be to crazy during that time. Also you are correct most kids wouldn't be accepted socially in 'normal' schools, but give me a definetion of normal... its common... like everyone else... but 'normal' people don't have exciting careers. They work at stores and restraunts. DSA is a fabulous school for anyone wanting to pursue a vigorous career in the arts!

Posted December 12, 2008

I can't imagine going to any other school, I've always struggled academically, and through DSA I have been able to really except my education and become motivated to make good grades. My major, although very demanding, has taught me so much about who to achieve and meet my deadlines. I've met the greatest people at DSA: the most wonderful teachers and lifelong friends :)

Posted December 5, 2008

I am a recent graduate of the Theatre program at Denver School of the Arts, and I could not have asked for more out of my education. Having attended the school for 5 years, I experienced many changes that took in the program, but through these adjustments, I was continually pushed by both my academic and acting teachers. I now attend one of the top Theatre Performance schools in the country, on a high talent scholarship, and am achieving much success here, due to the training I received at DSA. I can only talk about the Theatre Major, but know that it is not for the light of motivation and skill. For those looking to audition, be extremely sure that this is not just an extracurricular activity for you, rather a life / career choice. If so, grow for it! It is a wonderful place to grow and learn!

Posted November 6, 2008

I having experience of cheater school, public and this school is the best school that I ever meet and I love that my douther could be attend in this school.

Posted September 2, 2008

I have been going to Denver School of the Arts since 6th grade and I am in 8th now. If you are looking for a safe, diverse, artistic school accepting all walks of life, D.S.A. is the place to go!

Posted July 17, 2008

I've gone there for years and have never been tired of my major. We do different things every year!

Posted May 3, 2008

I am a former student of DSA and recently left in the middle of the year to attend my local middle school because of DSA. They failed to meet my academic needs and the teachers were really mean and very rude to me and my peers. Along with the teachers being rude the students were also extremely mean. They bullied me and made my life very hard. I would come home everyday and cry. It makes me sad that I tried so hard to get in and then find out that I hated it. Overall I had a really awful experience at Denver School of the Arts.

Posted March 3, 2008

When I heard about this school, I immediatly wanted to audition. Violin has always been my passion so I tried out, and got in! I love this school. The teachers, both academic and major teachers push you to do your best. That's just what I needed. Before being here, violin was many times annoying, but now I have friends that do the same. I love being around people who want to pursue their dreams. I've seen the most amazing kids here who have done so much just to be here. This is my favorite school ever! Plus, you can dance or sing in the hallways and you won't get yelled at!

Posted November 8, 2007

I'm a third year vocal major at DSA and that school is my life! This is the best school i've ever been to. I will be going into Highschool next year and i cannot leave this school. It is my home.

Posted October 17, 2007

This is our daughter's 7th. year at DSA. For a student who has a desire to pursue the arts, this is the place to be. Academics are equal to any of the best schools. These kids are very busy, and on the whole they love it. Great school spirit and loyalty. Great parent involvement.

Posted February 26, 2007

I have two children who have attended DSA. We have had overall positive experiences. The school has very high expectations of students, in both their academic work and their art work. There are no sports programs at DSA, however students can elect to participate on their 'home school' sports teams. This school is leaps and bounds better than the 'home school' that my children would have had to attend.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 55% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 51% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 49% in 2013.

All Students87%

Not eligible for free/reduced price lunch78%
Proficient in English79%
Neither migrant nor immigrant79%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

3 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Colorado high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Advanced placement courses
  • Honors track
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service
  • Student council/government

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school