Public charter
Denver, CO

Pioneer Charter School 1

Posted July 08, 2010
I'm very excited to see that a new administrator has been placed at PCS. As a former teacher at PCS, I witnessed so many challenges and problems that were not being addressed. The achievement level was so low. It was frustrating to be in the classroom and not have the support I needed to help these children gain necessary skills and knowledge for their grade level. We spent so much time in meetings on topics that were never put into practice. Knowing what I do about the school, I would never send my own child there. I often think of my former students and hope that they are able to succeed with the rocky start that PCS has given them. The PCS community needs a strong leader that is very knowledgable about elementary education and language acquisition. Good luck to the new principal. There is a lot of work ahead.

Pioneer Charter School 5

Posted June 17, 2009

Pioneer Charter School 5

Posted December 18, 2008
Pioneer Charter is a great school! The teachers have really gone out of thier way to help my student. The principal always takes time to meet with me if I have questions. My student loves going to school at Pioneer.

Pioneer Charter School 4

Posted December 17, 2008
As a staff member of Pioneer Charter School, I am saddened to see some of the postings about such a great school. Our administration strives for the best, an so sometimes that means that teachers have to move on. Our administration is in no way inept, but rather driven and focused on what is best for our students. Our principal absolutely has the character it takes to lead a community of learners and is doing exactly that. I am proud to be a staff member at Pioneer Charter School and truly believe that it is a great place for kids! I know that Pioneer only accepts the best of the best and that is what our students deserve. Pioneer is 'Denver's Best Kept Secret' because we do what is best for kids.

Posted September 24, 2008
The previous post is quite misleading. Turnover teacher is high at Pioneer, however, it has nothing to do with Pioneer 'not settling for the average teacher.' This statement makes it sound like administration is getting rid of unqualified teachers. Nothing could be further from the truth. Practically all of my former colleagues who have left Pioneer (and there are over 50 now) have done so strictly because of the inept administration, and not the students/parents. I know of only two teachers who were asked to leave. This current administration, rather than getting rid of unqualified teachers, is driving highly qualified teachers away from the school. I can't think of any other district that would allow the amount of teacher turnover that is allowed at this school without serious repurcussions for the admnistration. But as the slogan of Pioneer says: 'Pioneer, Denver's Best Kept Secret.' Unfortunately, quite true.

Pioneer Charter School 1

Posted September 24, 2008
Pioneer charter school continues to be a school worth avoiding. The principal is a poor example to the community and students when you consider the way she treats her staff and dominates the students. She simply does not have the character it takes to lead a community of learners. The unfortunate effect of this is that the students suffer. They suffer academically because talented teachers can't be expected to work in that environment. More importantly, they suffer economically because they may never recover from the acheivement gap they are dealt due to the poor curriculum and will face a bleak future career wise. Sending your child to PCS should not be considered, at least not if you consider your child's education to be important.

Posted September 16, 2008
Pioneer Charter School is indeed a great school. The administation and personnel strive for academic excellence. The teacher turnover rate has been high in prior years as PCS cannot and will not settle for the average teacher, but is only looking for those with the drive and dedication it takes to work with second language learners. PCS is not for everyone, only the best. Many that have left Pioneer Charter do see that the grass is not always greener, and many desire to return to Pioneer Charter. PCS has had teachers that have left for personal reason, nothing to do with administation. Pioneer Charter has developed structure that many are not used to. It is a safe environment for students, families and staff. PCS has a very welcoming environment, one that the community takes full advantage of.

Posted September 15, 2008
My students have been at Pioneer Charter for 4 years so far and it has been an outstanding experience. The school has great curriculum and teachers. My students are above grade level in math and reading due to the hard work and dedication of the teachers. I highly recommend sending your students to Pioneer!

Pioneer Charter School 4

Posted September 15, 2008
This is a great school, moving forward in the right direction. The building is well-kept, students are happy and teachers really care! State scores aren't everything; they have quality after-school programming and continue to move in the right direction. 4-stars to a great school.

Posted July 09, 2007
A couple of years ago, I was a student from Denver University who volunteered at Pioneer Charter School. I remember walking into the building and immediately noticing a chaotic and unruly atmosphere. After a few weeks into my classroom experiences, I was appalled at the low level of achievement. As a parent of a bilingual child, I would never consider sending my daughter to this confusing school with such low standards for their students. It was such a disappointment.

Pioneer Charter School
3230 East 38th Ave, Denver, CO  80205
Last modified Pioneer Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pioneer Charter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top