D'evelyn Junior/Senior High School

Public | 7-12

Posted April 4, 2011

D'Evelyn gave me the opportunity of a lifetime. Thanks to committed teachers and a rigorous curriculum, it has set me on a focused path and prepared me for both college and future career endeavors. Teachers here develop intellectual students who enjoy learning, rather than students who go to school merely for the diploma. Indeed, D'Evelyn teachers make the students actually interested in the material. Also, having played a sport here for 4 years, I will undoubtedly vouch for this school's extracurriculars. Our teams have improved significantly each year, and are no longer the weak 4A teams we have been in the past. But remember, the most important aspect of the school is indeed the quality of learning. Oh, and if you're a kid, not a parent, don't worry about any lack of partying. Nuff said.

Posted October 30, 2010

We have two kids at D'Evelyn and they have really excelled. Yes they work hard and it appears to have bostered their own self-esteem. Their attitudes are terrific, excited about learning and working hard ... ignited their competitive spirits. It is a competitive world out there and for them this is good preparation.

Posted September 25, 2010

I really do not know who is writing all these reviews, but I guarantee they are rigged like everything else in this school. My child is in 8th grade and I cannot wait to get her out of this place. She has had some good teachers but she has had some awful teachers. The ineffective teachers in this school are lazy, burned out, and only here for a free ride. This school is ONLY interested in test scores! There is no interest in developing the entire person. The homework load is from the time they get home until they go to bed. Homework is also loaded up on the weekends. Yes, this school does have good test scores, but at what price? If you want a positive educational experience for your child, pass this place up.They will be burned out by college, many are.

Posted October 7, 2009

I've been a student here since 7th grade and am now a Junior. D'Evelyn is the absolute best thing that could have happened to me! Yeah, I'm sometimes jealous of some of my friends from other 'easier' schools; but I would never want to trade places with any of them now that we're all starting to look at colleges. If you're fortunate enough to get 'lotteried' in here, you will definitely walk away with an AMAZING education when it's all said and done! As for the few sour grapes below; in the 4-plus years I've been here, the D'Evelyn faculty have always been very respectful and fair to me and all of my friends. As for the students, I'm very proud to say that we're among the nicest, most helpful people you'll find ANYWHERE!!!

Posted October 3, 2009

Best school in the district, and one of the best in the country for a public school. Even if your child does not make it to higher education, every lesson taught there is a positive thing stays with them for life .

Posted May 12, 2009

D'Evelyn will definitely prepare you for college and encourages you to be whatever you want to be. The vast majority of the teachers are great, they offer help and make sure you understand the topic. Sure, we have alot of homework. But you can get alot of it done in a study period at the end of the day, and its really not that bad. However I agree some people below me, the administration is unorganized and too overpowering. Our assistant principles tend to pick 'favorites.' Administrative staff cannot seem to listen, if you have to talk to them about something. And you can be criticized. Lack of communication between the school and parents can be a problem too. Also, students are not given alot of independence. Upperclassmen are not too friendly to the lower, especially Jr. High. But otherwise D'Evelyn is a challenging but rewarding school.

Posted February 4, 2009

Most of the teachers are good to excellent and buy into the concept of challenging students to live up to thier potential. All three of our kids received college scholarships to top schools due to their high school preparation.

Posted January 16, 2009

The academics at this school are superb. The biggest problem is with the current principal who singles out and bullies students and treats them like they belong in a correctional facility, not like the hard working, over acheivers they tend to be. This creates serious attitude problems within the school. Difficulties tend to be of the lesser variety such as dress code violations, which are met with punishment not fitting the infringement. If you want your child only to get a good education, this is a great school. If you want your child to get an education and enjoy school, pick another one. This one instills good work ethics but leaves the student with many bad memories of their high school years.

Posted January 16, 2009

My Daughter attends D'Evelyn. She was fortunate enough to get picked through the lottery as an eighth grader and is in her second year. Before D'Evelyn she attended a small private school. The transition has been seamless. Academic load and student pride remains high, if not higher. Do not be fooled by the rumors that these kids are 'Nerds'. They bully larger schools on every court and field in Colorado, as evidenced by CHSAA, the District and State Championships that they have won in their young existance. Any parent who would not want this high standard of Excellence for their child both in the classroom and in extra curricular activities has to be nuts. I for one am grateful for the structure for which the school is ran, including the strict disipline. It simply is the best Junior/Senior High School in Colorado.

Posted January 15, 2009

I am a D'Evelyn parent and I have to agree with the posting from December 27, 2008. Both my children received an excellent education, were well prepared for college, and received scholarships. I am glad they went there, but as stated the atmosphere in the school could be improved greatly! The conservative Christian majority of the school tend to run things. There used to be a 'diversity' club; no more. My own children were criticized by other students because they believed in evolution, harassed because of their political beliefs and at times made to feel unwelcome. For the most part the teachers are great; think the administration could do better.

Posted January 15, 2009

I am a parent of four children that have attended D'Evelyn and I couldn't be happier. The best thing about the school is that it fosters a good work ethic. There is a lot of homework but since almost all of the students are college bound most students do the work. That makes for interesting dicussions in class where most participate. It really prepares the students for college. Many other schools have poor participation both by parents and by students but that isn't true at DHS. The amazing thing is that even though it is a lottery school (it doesn't get to select the smart kids like IB) we still have the top ACT score in the state, but we also had the top track and field runner last year (Kevin Williams). This year we have won the 4A golf finals and were in the final four for the state football.

Posted January 15, 2009

I am a D'Evelyn parent and I love most everything about the school. Great student body, great administration, many great teachers! Sports and extra-curriculars do not suffer from the academic rigor, and enhance the overall educational experience. I have to comment on the perceived 'lack of diversity' commented on by previous reviewers. This is a lottery school, and a public school, it cannot favor students based on religious beliefs, nor can it push a particular religion. All students and parents are welcome to participate. The 'overpowered administration' is actually overseen by a steering committee and a very strict series of rules and regulations which were part of the school's charter. The lottery system makes this school difficult to get into. One would think Jefferson County would see the results of this program and model more schools after it, so that more students would have access to this level of excellence.

Posted January 15, 2009

I am a teacher at D'Evelyn. I have never worked in a school with a better prepared and knowledgable staff. Most of the staff is also continually striving to improve their teaching and their knowledge base. Our students graduate extremely well prepared for college if they put forth an effort to succeed. There is a lot of homework but it pays off. We have very strong languages, arts, music and theater. Many of our athletes also participate in these activities. Our athletic program is successful and as a smaller school, a greater percentage of kids get to participate. I have taught at several other schools and D'Evelyn is by far the best place I have taught. The facility is outstanding, the kids are great and I feel I am a part of an intellectually exciting and caring community. I plan to be here until I retire.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 15, 2009

I am an extremely happy camper. Both of my kids went to the elementary feeder school, Dennison. We experienced no hazing in the junior high/middle school years and my kids feel (felt) welcome and safe every day. The school has a closed campus, so kids are not out getting into trouble on their lunch hours. The teaching staff is very talented and cares about their students greatly. There are plenty of resources at the school for kids that fall behind or are having trouble grasping a subject. My family has not really experienced any of the conservative christian influence mentioned in other reveiws nor have we had to listen to the global warming/save the planet fanatics on the other side of the political isle. We consider that a positive on both counts. If you can get in to D'Evelyn, go for it! It's a private school education at public school prices.

Posted December 27, 2008

I am a D'Evelyn alumni, and thought the curriculum was first rate, the teachers are great, and the sports and extra-curricular activities are a great place to mature as an adolescent. However, the overpowered administration creates an oppressive atmosphere, and struggling students are often ignored and discouraged from attending the school. Furthermore, the Christian Conservative demographic dominates all aspects of the school, and creates a uniform atmosphere in which diversity is hard to come by. Great school, terrible environment.

Posted December 18, 2008

teachers think they know every way of teaching when they only know how to teach good learners

Posted November 17, 2008

I am a student at Develyn and I love it. Although there is a lot of homework the nice atmosphere and teachers creates a great learning area for seventh greaders and 12 greaders. Develyn is great for preparing students for the exciting world of college.

Posted September 29, 2008

D'Evelyn is helping me so much with college. When I was in High School I felt like a lot of pressure and work was put on me that other students didn't have in Jeffco. Now as I am more than a month into college, I am finding that I excel over other students and that I am not working nearly as hard as them to keep up.

Posted August 16, 2008

Bottoms up D'Evelyn is one of the best schools in the state! The kids there are polite and are not rude like some of the kids at schools in lakewood like Lakewood High school. My son went to Lakewood and it was the biggest mistake i have ever made!!!

Posted May 24, 2008

We are proud to be the D'Evelyn Nerds!! The kids are like any other school. You have the kids who dont and wont ever do homework, and the extremely talented sports people, and the extreme nerds. The kids dress like normal kids. We have a great volleyball program, sucessful football team and so much more. I didnt chose to go here but now I wouldnt leave if I had to. It is a big adjustment but the teachers are willing to help you anytime. Seniors often help kids also which is nice because it is sometimes easier to learn from someone who is more your age!

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 55% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 51% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 49% in 2013.

All Students97%

Students without disabilities88%
Proficient in English87%
Neither migrant nor immigrant88%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

3 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Colorado high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 6%N/A41%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Drama

Staff resources available to students
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Band
Performing arts
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

10359 West Nassau Ave