Erie Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted January 7, 2014

my daughter is in 6th grade and this school has been excellent so far. she needed to be challenged and required advanced classes, all of which this school provides. they have a pre-ap curriculum called springboard. the electives are many and varied with excellent teachers.

Posted September 26, 2013

I attended this school for three years and I feel most teachers did not care for the students if they had less than a B. The 8th grade social studies teacher that I had did not treat me well at all. She didn't even try to help me get my grades up. At one of my parent teacher conferences all my teachers printed out missing assignments to help with and show me the work i needed to do except her, she said in quote " i didn't think it mattered because I know he wont do it anyway,' not only did that hurt my self esteem but it made my parents feel like they were doing a bad job as parents. And I do not think that's acceptable under any circumstances. I thought every schools policy was no student left behind but I guess it's different here. However, I had band for all three years and I loved it! The teacher was phenomenal and I didn't just see him as a mentor but as a friend. The principals were great and very helpful to me. In conclusion I did not enjoy how most teachers treated me. Now I feel that no teachers will like me because of my past experiences with teachers.

Posted September 8, 2013

This is a great school, not so great teachers, while they all 'act' nice, they overwork the kids, not really bothering to ask them if they get the concepts, nor to see if they have learned it periviously before. The teachers are really nice to you-as long as they like you. It seemed as though if you don't have good grades, aren't kissing up to the teachers everyday, then you aren't really important to this school.

Posted August 7, 2012

Our daughter attended this school for one year, grade 8. (We had to relocate a couple times, unfortunately.) We found it to be an excellent school, particularly (but not only) the science teacher, the art teacher, the math teacher, the English teacher our daughter had. We also particularly loved the vice-principal, Mrs. Hoople. We got to know her moreso than the principal, owing to a medical situation our daughter contended with during her time there. She was and is the the kind of administrator any school d be blessed to have, with wonderful people-skills and genuine, genuine caring for all the kiddos. Importantly, we believe our daughter learned a great amount during her time there.

Posted July 24, 2012

I sent my 2 children to EMS and we loved it. All of the teachers were very supportive and if my children were having troubles they would email me and we would set a day up for them to stay after and get help. My kids loved the teachers and they got all of the help that they needed. My daughter made a ton of new friends as soon as she got there. The students seemed to have welcomes my kids with open arms. Like every other kid they don't like getting up for school but after words they seem to always come home with smiles on their face. The homework scale is very reasonable and if you have a special occasion you can contact the teachersand they will usually work something out. After one year of going to EMS i decided to put my younger one in EES he had a hard time at first and then he started to warm up to the teachers and students. Ever day he would ask me when he was going back to school and see his friends. All of my kids love Erie and they say that they would like to go to EHS also, which is fine with me. Erie Also has an amazing baseball, football, and softball league. I'm pretty sure that their other sports are just as good but my kids only play those 3. WE LOVE ERIE!

Posted February 2, 2012

Our son is attending his third year at EMS and we are so very pleased. We came from a suburb north of Atlanta with top notch, so we were curious to learn what the Saint Vrain Valley Schools had to offer. The teachers are very, very good. Most have advanced degrees, which we've learned is typical for a place as desirable as Colorado. EMS received the Governor's Improvement Award for being in the top 5 highest improved CSAP scores. We have found that the communication between the school and parents is excellent. We receive a weekly newsletter via email. The school sends voice messages to parents whenever there is an important meeting, poor weather, a crisis. They also follow up via email. Our experience has been that the teachers and administration are very eager to meet regarding our son's progress. They've taken the initiative when they learned he needed to be in an advance Language Arts class. Thanks to Infinite Campus we can stay on top of our son's grades, as well as projects and daily activities. The teachers respond to emails typically within an hour. We really couldn't be more pleased and thankful for a strong learning environment for our son.

Posted July 16, 2011

Erie Middle School is a great school and all, however, the past principal's and teachers are TERRIBLE. Teachers really just yelled at kids, even for no reason, and would have unfair rules. However, this teacher would basically make you dread coming to their classroom. He spent the entire 45 minute class time explaining instead of us doing. The classes are lots of fun, however, the important classes are WAY too short. Science and Social Studies are now 45 minutes. The teachers do complain about this too short of class time. The principal's are a different story. Our newest vice principal, Ms. Hoople, is amazing! She loves having the presence of kids around and isn't your adverage principal. She doesn't yell, but likes to support both sides of the story. The princpal doesn't really take care of things. He kinda just sits. Overall, the school is okay. There are renovations occuring now, and the school NEEDS it. It is literally falling apart. The school is too small, and holds too many students. I love the programs that help the school, however, they don't really have much. The students are very annoying. Most don't even care for school. Overall, your adverage school, but bad teachers

Posted March 13, 2010

I have been at this school for about two and a half years. Most of the teachers really do care and help and are over all great, but I found that quite a few were uninterested and were there just for the paycheck. One of my past teachers at the school would miss a day of school when it snowed to go snowboarding. I am honestly telling the truth. Our past principle never looked happy and seemed grumpy all the time. The current vice principle literally struts around the school looking for miss behaving students to get in trouble. The hall ways are dangerous and I dread going in them during passing periods. Over all, the school lacks organization, any sense of cheerfulness, and a good vice principle. Go and see for yourself, trust me, you will be disappointed.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 17, 2009

Each year our public schools in Erie do a lot to raise awareness on recycling. Each grade level have contest amongst the other classrooms on who can bring in the most box tops, campbell soup labels, ink cartridges, etc. It's so nice to see our kids pay attention to the products we purchase to make sure that they are getting a box top for their school.

Posted July 17, 2008

Mt child loves Erie Middle School not only because of her friends but because the staff and teachers are very welcoming and friendly. My child being a new comer as of 2007 was welcomed into the school with open arms. The one problem is that my child be leaves that the academics are to easy and should improve them. I think she learns a lot but as a parent I think that the work there is to easy.

Posted January 22, 2008

I have to say, I love the teachers and administration at Erie Middle, but it is a below average school. There are serious funding problems, and no matter how you look at it, Boulder Valley schools are at least 2 years ahead of the kids at this school. That does not mean these teachers and administrators do not love and do everything they can for the kids. They do! I have also noticed that some parents help around the school whose kids are the bullies. Therefore, it seems like they get away with some things they shouldn't because everyone knows their mom. This is not a school you should send your child to if you do have high hopes of academics, extra curriculars, etc. However, it is a school that cares about our kids and is doing the absolute best they can with what they have.

Posted August 24, 2007

I am a parent, and I am also proud to say, a teacher at EMS. I have been teaching for 14 years and I was thrilled when I was given the opportunity to work with the staff and administration at Erie Middle. Not only is Erie concerned about education with high expectations for all learners, we also strive to make our middle school safe, welcoming and with a lot of school spririt. The extra curricular activities are plentiful and always have a lot of student and staff involvement. I wouldn't take my children to any other school, nor would I want to teach anywhere else. I am proud to be a mighty, mighty tiger.

Posted August 23, 2007

Principal leadership is lacking and unfair. Teachers are just at this school until they find a better job or retire. Counselor is worthless, with no backbone. Have over-loaded students with mandatory classes but no chance to pick classes that a student needs to relax and have a little fun.

Posted August 23, 2007

Erie Middle School is an excellent school! The teachers, counselor, and administration are caring and excellent.

Posted July 23, 2007

this school is awesome. my child has gone here for years and always says its a great school

Posted July 22, 2007

New to the Erie area? Look no further than EMS. I love this school. As a former teacher who moved out of state, I want to say that EMS is a great school. It is full of passionate, devoted teachers, the administration is very acvtive in the school and community, the students strive for excellence in the classroom, on the playing field and in volunteer work.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 19, 2007

My son was bullied at Erie Middle and was afraid to go to school. He was told if he did not feel safe to tell someone.it ended badly for him in one way but good in another. He changed schools! Teachers were fair but demanding.

Posted November 14, 2006

I am very dissatisfied with this school. The principal is unwilling to make sure the children receive the academics they need, the GT program is non-existent. My child is bored to tears, and hardly has any homework. My kids are being taught now what they already learned in a previous district 2 years ago!! There is a total lack of structure and organization, just attend an assembly, or after school activity. If you have a choice, choose elsewhere, I will be doing so, next year.

Posted October 11, 2006

Erie Middle and Elementary are excellent schools (I do not have a child in HS yet). Although overcrowding is an issue at both, the teachers and administrators are top-notch and clearly care deeply for the students and their education. This (2006/07) is our third year here and have had opportunities to move elsewhere. We have decided to stay however, in large part because of the quality of the persons in the Middle and Elementary schools. If you are considering moving to Erie, I would visit the school in person. Do not take my word or the word of a parent whose child got a poor grade because he/she performed poorly or because the parent delegates 100% of the responsibility to educate their child to the public school system....go and see for yourself.

Posted May 13, 2006

this school needs to challenge people more and do more than what is expected.
—Submitted by a student

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

All Students78%

Students without disabilities79%
Proficient in English73%
Neither migrant nor immigrant73%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 16%N/A41%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Nurse(s)
  • Gym

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Orchestra

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

650 Main St