No rating

St Joseph Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 15 students

Living in Fort Collins

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $188,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $720.

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted June 1, 2014

We LOVE this school! Yes, if your child has significant learning needs this may not be the school for you. The school does not have the resources to provide what a special education program in the public school has. St joseph, however, has the most caring teachers and staff. The teachers will go out of their way to help your students succeed. The academics are very rigorous. The teachers are excellent with keeping up with the times. In fact, there are several new teachers who are innovative and fun! The school is constantly integrating new textbooks and technology. Parents are not kept out of the building any more than a public school. We are allowed to come to many events, birthdays, volunteering in the library and lunchroom, and attend biweekly lunches with our children. We didn't get to do that much with our children when they attended public school. We LOVE every aspect of this school and would highly recommend it to anyone in the Fort Collins area!!

Posted May 22, 2014

We had a terrible experience at SJS. The administration doesn't listen to parents needs or concerns and when they do you are labeled a problem parent. The teachers are way behind the curve with teacher training and technology. Our children were struggling at SJS and when we met with teachers and administrators it was put back on us, there was no accountability on the school's side. Parents are no longer allowed to volunteer in classrooms and it feels like the administration is hiding behind closed doors. Parents, you have a right to see what is happening in your child's classroom! We have since placed our children in a public school and they are thriving and happy!

Posted February 12, 2014

Our daughter didn't do well at St. Joe's and that is what this forum is for: to tell you what our experiences are. We weren't helped or offered help and my husband and I met with the Principal and with Father and our concerns and needs were ignored. We have been active members of the church for several years. And, I find it very sad. Our daughter has since started at another school and it quite happy, and is doing much better. The "closed campus" verbiage is taken straight from an email from the administration and that is what we were told this school year. I hope St. Joe's does improve, because it was a much better school for us at another time.

Posted February 11, 2014

Our 3 children previously attended a Christian school & we realized after our oldest completed 6th grade, a move was necessary. While we enjoyed the teachers & staff, our children were not at the academic level they should have been & outside testing proved it. Our kids were also being confused by others opinions & lack of knowledge of our Catholic Faith so we knew a solid Catholic Christian environment & teaching was absolutely necessary. We transferred our 3 kids to STJ & what an incredible & blessed experience it has proven for us. The teachers worked with our kids & even met with the outside tuturing agency who helped our kids the prior year. Our kids were welcomed with open arms by their new teachers and staff & they so enjoyed the day they shadowed their new classmates before summer began & they started as new students in the fall. By the end of their first year at STJ, our kids were at the academic level they should have been. We are very grateful for the teachers diligence & academia expertise. Two of our kids are now in HS & much of their preparedness was due to STJ. We've enjoyed the past & present leadership of STJ & appreciate the feeling of being a family. We are home.

Posted February 6, 2014

St. Joseph Catholic School has been a great choice for our children. They are getting the best education and are surrounded by intelligent, positive, and caring teachers and administrators. My children know many students in all grade levels because the older students are "buddies" with the younger students which really creates a nurturing community. The principal truly cares about and takes a genuine interest in each and every child. We could not be happier with St. Joseph Catholic School...what a blessing it is to have this school in our community.

Posted February 5, 2014

We have been a part of Saint Joseph School for 19 years. Our last child will be graduating and moving on to high school in the fall, and we will miss this awesome faith-filled second family. Our children have benefited from rigorous academics in an accepting, nurturing environment.

Posted February 5, 2014

St. Joseph Catholic School delivers an outstanding education! The leadership and staff are highly qualified and professional. Sr. Rosemary is the most wonderful example of our Catholic faith. She absolutely leads by example. She wholeheartedly loves every child at St. Joseph and pushes her staff to achieve the highest standards in education. I love that my children are safe at school and that their education is unaffected by outside social and political influences. My kids are shielded from inappropriate material at St. Joseph, which is unique to a Catholic school environment. I would highly recommend St. Joseph Catholic School if rigorous academics, moral development, and faith formation are your primary goals for the education of your children.

Posted February 4, 2014

Four of our six kids have or are currently attending St. Joseph. We put our oldest two in neighborhood public schools, and while they had good teachers and care, I would find a way to have given them an education at St. Joe's if I could do it again, particularly in middle school. There are some things that lots of tax dollars and fancy new programs just can't buy-among these are traditional values and Catholic teaching, administration and staff dedicated to the total well being of each child, respect for our fellow man, and a rigorous, no-nonsense curriculum. We have enjoyed the addition of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy these past two years, who we parents can infinitely trust to love, care for and challenge the students to be the best human beings they can be. Only parents want these characteristics as much as these sisters do, because they love the students as if they are their children. Sister Rosemary explains that they deserve the very best, and she is like the CEO of our school-always looking to improve our resources and technology, and open to new ideas. She won't permit anyone to get in the way of what's best for the students, and makes no bones about it!

Posted February 3, 2014

I have had three children attend St. Joseph over the past 10 years. I chose to send my children here because I felt very strongly about giving them a Catholic education. I have been very pleased with the level of commitment the staff has to that end. The academics and teachers have been excellent. My older child is now in high school and I am amazed at how well prepared and organized he is. This is something I consistently hear from teachers at the high school. St. Joseph graduates are well known as being prepared, organized and self-directed learners. That says a lot about the school right there! The principal is dedicated to the students and strives to always do what is best for them, both spiritually and academically. I encourage anyone who is considering a Catholic education for their child to visit the school, spend some time getting to know the staff, and see first hand how great the environment is.

Posted January 31, 2014

My original review has been removed. I would strongly reconsider choosing SJCS for the following reasons: They do not have resources to help students who do not learn in the "standard" way. The principal writes notes on struggling students' work: "Try harder, work smarter." Parents are asked to pay $300 a month extra to hire a special reading teacher who comes into the school to assist struggling students. It is a closed campus and parent volunteers are discouraged. Children who do not finish their lunch or who are late to school are denied recess, however, these policies are not explained to the parents, and parents are unaware of what happens behind the locked school doors. I witnessed this first hand and was denied the opportunity to observe a classroom. If you ask questions about the leadership of the school, you are made to be a "problem" family. Family values are NOT emphasized at this school. The Principal seems most concerned about the amount of money that you contribute and makes note of which families donate and which do not. I believe in Catholic education and this school does not encourage family values or treat all families like Jesus would. Consider St. Johns in LL.

Posted January 31, 2014

Saint Joseph's used to be a wonderful school. However in the past couple years the school has really gone down hill. It seams that the teachers do not care about children or their faith. Religion is not emphasized at all. Parents are not allowed in the school and asking questions about what is happening at the school. With the tuition that is being payed, it is not worth having your children not cared for. My child came home crying everyday after school and was not happy. Now that she had switch schools, she is so much happier and loved her teachers. With so many amazing schools in Fort Collins, st joes is not a good investment for your family.

Posted January 31, 2014

My 4 year old child threw up on herself and received no assistance, except from a classmate. For 4 hours, none of the instructors knew she was sick until I arrived at 2 pm for a Christmas party. When I asked the director what had happened, she threw her arms up in frustration and walked away. Her 19 year old daughter / co-instructor came to help problem solve upon which was discovered that my child had gotten sick at 10 o'clock that morning. I took my child's temperature and she had a 104 degree fever. I received no phone call inquiring about the well being of my child nor did I receive a response to the email I sent the pre school director. I have since withdrawn my child and still have not received any communication from the school. The strategy to fill the class to capacity 34 students in one class, backfired and there is not enough supervision or care for each student due to the large class size. SJCS is not the loving, compassionate, welcoming or friendly school that it once was. In our experience, the school is more concerned about money than they are about the welfare and education of the children.

Posted October 28, 2013

I could not be happier working at this school. I love the staff and the students! Thanks for all of the great memories!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 28, 2013

All of our children have attended St. Joseph. We LOVE the teachers and the other families. We would recommend this school to anyone who is looking for engaging lessons, rigorous academics and a deep foundation in the Catholic faith.

Posted December 4, 2009

My children were career students at Saint Joe's from Kindergarten through 9th grade, and I have only great things to say about this school. Thanks to Saint Joe's, my children started high school at advanced levels, and did extremely well on AP tests, which translated to advanced standings when they hit college. In addition to a faith- and values-based education, Saint Joseph Catholic School delivers an excellent investment in academics!

Posted May 1, 2008

My son has had a wonderful experience in kindergarten this year. We will continue here next year. This school runs on strong parental involvement. A very loving, faith-based learning environment.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (970) 482-5291

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Denver