Fort Collins, CO

Kinard Core Knowledge Middle School 1

Posted September 25, 2014
Kinard is a difficult school to rate. In some ways it is a great school. The facilities are great, the principal is awesome, and they allow for a number of extracurricular activities. However, my concerns about Kinard include the following: 1. They are very much focused on memorization and repeat testing. By the 5th week of school my child has had 4+ tests in each class. If students do not score a 3 (equivalent to a B) or above they have to retake the test. For students who do better by "thinking" instead of memorization-- Kinard isn't good for them. 2. Some of the teachers use a "public shaming" method of correction. If a student forgets their homework (which they have EVERY night) the teacher often embarrasses them in front of the entire class. 3. Some teachers will tell you explicitly that they do not award 4's (A's) to students. A student must be "truly exceptional" to receive a 4. However, what is defined as exceptional is questionable at best (usually it involves repeating in writing EXACTLY what the teacher told them). 5. The school does not foster creativity or flexibility.

Posted July 20, 2014
I graduated from Kinard last month after attending for three years, and I feel that I have nothing but good things to say about it. I had a rough time in the revolving elementary schools and always felt like an outsider. In Kinard that is no longer a problem. The atmosphere for students is very friendly, and I started making new friends from my first day. The teachers are amazing, friendly, and helpful, making class enjoyable while you still learn so much. I must particularly compliment English teacher Mr. Steven Ray Parker, from whom I learned so much. At Kinard, I recommend enrollment in Honors courses regardless of your current confidence. They are not particularly harder than regular classes, and in fact they are much more rewarding, and go more in-depth into the subjects being studied. The Honors classes can lift up a struggling student and help the most intellectually gifted student through its engaging atmosphere. Overall, I give Kinard 5 stars. My experience was amazing, and I will look back on my three years there with fondness.

Posted June 16, 2013
I attend Eaton Middle School and I would do anything to transfer to Kinard!!!!!!! I'm still trying to convince my parents to let me!!! I would recommend this middle school :)

Posted April 07, 2013
This school is rated the best academically preforming school in thedistric out of middle schools

Posted August 30, 2012
Its the best school ever! It beats all the other middle schools in this area. Preston, Webber, Blevins, and Boltz don't march this amazing school! It also is able to make people happy and laugh. I will never have a middle school like this one.

Posted June 19, 2012
Kinard is an amazing school! As a student who recently just finished 6th grade, I can say that I really enjoyed all my classes and teachers! It is not true that teachers do not go out of their way to help kids because all of them are so helpful! If you ever have a problem, they are willing to encourage as will as help you! The discipline at this school is not extremely enforced but it's still there. The teachers will still enforce rules. Don't judge Kinard just because everyone thinks we are so gifted and wealthy! We are like all average students and even though some students there are wealthier than me, I don't find it affecting me or my learning. Send your kid to Kinard and I promise you will find it a success!

Kinard Core Knowledge Middle School 4

Posted November 29, 2011
I have very mixed feelings about Kinard. The kids and the teachers are all nice, the test scores are great, there are a lot of extracurriculars available, parents are involved... There is a lot to like. On the other hand, having had children attend other local middle schools, I am left with the impression that the high test scores at Kinard are largely a product of drill and not depth or creativity. The focus on memorization, sentence diagramming, etc. hits very much on my child's weakest areas. In some ways that is good -- forcing focus on something that would otherwise be weaker. In some ways it is not -- not developing real strengths in abstract reasoning. My older children who attend the high school Kinard feeds into have noticed much of the same: the kids who came there from Kinard are some of the weaker students in the pre-AP classes in terms of depth of thought and synthesizing material not just repeating rote learned information. There are some good teachers at Kinard, though, who hopefully will have more to offer than drill as my child progresses through middle school.

Posted August 08, 2011
As a student at this school, I have one thing to say, excellent. You can't walk down the hallways without noticing how nice and helpful the teachers are, no matter how difficult or big the problem is. The principal is great, always knowing how to talk to and control the kids. When it comes to testing, its hard not to like the scores. So basically to sum it up, if you want to find a great school, look no further

Posted July 05, 2011
What an amazing school everybody is so kind and helpful. Its welcoming and the students academic performance is outstanding.

Posted April 14, 2010
It is a great school, the teachers are so helpful and do so much for their students, the whole staff is wonderful. They have so many wonderful programs to help the students.

Kinard Core Knowledge Middle School
3002 East Trilby Rd, Fort Collins, CO  80528
Last modified Kinard Core Knowledge Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kinard Core Knowledge Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top