Fort Collins, CO

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 01, 2015
Kinard is a great school. I was just at this school a year ago and now I attend Fossil Ridge highschool now. I am freshman now and I can notice a few different things between the kids that went to Preston and the ones that went to Kinard. Most of the kids that went to Prestin seem to be wilder than the ones that went to Kinard. (Not all Preston students). They also to seem to care more about being popular than rather focusing on school and education. At Kinard I felt like I was constantly learning and the information stuck with me. I also felt like was able to get many opportunities at Kinard. Most people say at Kinard that the teachers make you retake things and that isn't entirely true. Some of teachers said, you can not retake this because in highschool there are no retakes. Also kids that wanted to go to Preston that were attending Kinard only went there because they wanted to be popular. Some kids that transferred from Preston to Kinard told me that they switched schools because they thought Preston was very unorganized and seemed like the teachers didn't care. They also said they barely got any homework at Preston. Another thing I noticed at fossil between the Preston kids and Kinard kids was that the Kinard kids looked as if they knew more. An example of this would be my English class. I felt like I knew most of the things happening in the class while the kids that went to Preston were just learning things. I already knew most of the stuff I was learning. I even took regular English. Kinard was a very good school I thought, other than the grading system because it was on a scale from 1-4. But I just noticed a few differences between the Preston and Kinard kids educationally. And I feel like all the test I had at Kinard helped me at Fossil because I always have test. Also at Kinard you start language earlier than at Preston so you can be done with language requirements as a sophomore. I feel like Kinard is more well rounded. You get a taste of everything.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted July 01, 2015
Kinard is a great school. I had a wonderful time over there. I was just a freshman at Fossil Ridge highschool and I was able to see a difference between the students that went to Kinard and the ones that went to Preston. (This review is to help decide whether to go with Kinard or Preston). First of all, the kids that went to Preston seem to be more concerned with being popular. They don't care for learning as much. (NOT ALL FORMER PRESTON KIDS ARE LIKE THIS). They seem to be less focused in class and be more foolish and like to waste time. Another thing is that I feel like students that went to Kinard seemed to have learned more. In my English class for example we read The Odyessey. I read that in sixth grade.I asked kids that went to Preston if they read this book they said no. I remember my teacher teaching us about it. Although it was an easier version I was able to understand it more the second time I read it. Another example would be also in my English class when we were reading to kill a mocking bird. So we also had to learn about civil Rights. Kids that went to Preston never heard about the civil rights. It looked like they learned nothing about it middle school. I learned about as 8th grader at Kinard. We had a huge unit on it! The students that went to Preston were asking all these questions about it! I have also noticed in some other classes, where they haven't learned important background information.Third of all the kids that went to Kinard are just more focused and listen to the teacher better. With classes that I have more Preston with tend to be louder and have more distractions than classes with Kinard kids. Some kids that transferred from Preston to Kinard told me at Preston it was very un organized and it seemed like the teachers didn't care.Kinard is great school. It's more well rounded, you get to try more things and there are more requirements to make you a better student. For example we take language earlier than Preston student. My language requirements will be done as a sophomore. While you still have kids needing to take language still because they are not done with the requirements. Everything at Kinard was pretty much great. At Kinard I was able to take honors classes so I could be able to see how highschool work was like. All those tests prepared me for Fossil. Some of the teachers wouldn't let you re take things too at Kinard.

Posted May 12, 2015
Enroll in all honors classes. High school is much harder, and honors classes prepare you in a way the regular courses don't. Even if you're not particularly motivated, you should definitely take honors, or else the high school transition will screw you over. High school is much harder. Prepare yourself now, while your GPA doesn't matter as much.

Kinard Core Knowledge Middle School 1

Posted April 02, 2015
I agree with two of the parents who have posted before me. Kinard is not a good place for students who want to be college ready and use their brains for something other than memorization. Testing, retesting, and testing again is what is emphasized. As an example-- in the month of February (a short one by most measures) my child had 10 tests in science, 5 tests in math, 12 tests in English, and 2 tests in spanish. Rarely a day goes by that she doesn't have a test in something. These numbers do not even include any "retesting" that may occur if a student doesn't score highly enough (thankfully she didn't have any retests in February!). How are they learning anything with that much time dedicated to tests??? This doesn't even include the time spent on the state standardized tests!!! Will not be back here next year!

Kinard Core Knowledge Middle School 2

Posted March 10, 2015
We were excited when we got a spot a Kinard. Now that the reality has set in, we realize it's a lot of hype. The kids at Kinard come from all over the area, but mostly the neighborhoods nearby. Lots of cliques to deal with and the pecking order is well-established. If your kiddo isn't self-motivated to do homework this school isn't for them. There is no credit given for homework diligence, only quizzes(formatives) and tests (summatives) will be counted. Your kiddo needs only to be a rinse and repeat learner to get top scores. They grade on a 1-4 scale so understand that before going in. There is no forgivenness in that scale at all, unless they like you. Our daughter, who is a diligent learner, has been within .1-.05 of an A and not gotten one in multiple cases. That's hard for kids who are high achievers as it basically breaks them down and makes then feel like the extra work doesn't pay off. Don't despair though, if you want your kiddo in honors classes, just complain and bug the teachers. They will eventually give in. Be prepared to have entitled kids with hovering parents too.

Kinard Core Knowledge Middle School 4

Posted January 13, 2015
Kinard is a good school. It is one of the better middle schools in the district and it teaches Core Knowledge curriculum. Overall my child loves the school. It provides different levels for different learners but as a parent you have to be on top of what is going on with your child just like at any school. They have high expectations for each and every student and they achieve high test scores every year. The teachers are nice and most of them are well qualified in the fields they are teaching. Having said that, I think that the leadership at Kinard needs to focus more on the kids and less on the test scores. Standardized testing is not a good indication of depth of learning. The "we are the best" attitude can be nauseating at times especially when you see how they get there. There is a lot of homework regardless of what the principal says. I don't think they really understand the amount of work and busy work that goes home each week. Some of it is worthwhile learning while other stuff is more suited for the recycle bin. Have your child do a day visit to make sure it is the right choice for them as the back to school night is just marketing fluff.

Kinard Core Knowledge Middle School 1

Posted September 25, 2014
Kinard is a difficult school to rate. In some ways it is a great school. The facilities are great, the principal is awesome, and they allow for a number of extracurricular activities. However, my concerns about Kinard include the following: 1. They are very much focused on memorization and repeat testing. By the 5th week of school my child has had 4+ tests in each class. If students do not score a 3 (equivalent to a B) or above they have to retake the test. For students who do better by "thinking" instead of memorization-- Kinard isn't good for them. 2. Some of the teachers use a "public shaming" method of correction. If a student forgets their homework (which they have EVERY night) the teacher often embarrasses them in front of the entire class. 3. Some teachers will tell you explicitly that they do not award 4's (A's) to students. A student must be "truly exceptional" to receive a 4. However, what is defined as exceptional is questionable at best (usually it involves repeating in writing EXACTLY what the teacher told them). 5. The school does not foster creativity or flexibility.

Posted July 20, 2014
I graduated from Kinard last month after attending for three years, and I feel that I have nothing but good things to say about it. I had a rough time in the revolving elementary schools and always felt like an outsider. In Kinard that is no longer a problem. The atmosphere for students is very friendly, and I started making new friends from my first day. The teachers are amazing, friendly, and helpful, making class enjoyable while you still learn so much. I must particularly compliment English teacher Mr. Steven Ray Parker, from whom I learned so much. At Kinard, I recommend enrollment in Honors courses regardless of your current confidence. They are not particularly harder than regular classes, and in fact they are much more rewarding, and go more in-depth into the subjects being studied. The Honors classes can lift up a struggling student and help the most intellectually gifted student through its engaging atmosphere. Overall, I give Kinard 5 stars. My experience was amazing, and I will look back on my three years there with fondness.

3002 East Trilby Rd, Fort Collins, CO  80528
Last modified Kinard Core Knowledge Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kinard Core Knowledge Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top