Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted March 14, 2016
Preston Middle School is overrun by gangs of bullies due to the administrators' policy of management by lethargy. If you want the inner city experience of Detroit and Harlem right here in Northern Colorado, look no further than Preston Middle School. Even when there is ample proof and witnesses to theft, physical violence, and weapons, the school management does nothing. All of our family friends and neighbors have had it with Preston Middle School. When you complain, the only thing that happens is that the counselors talk to the victims. Nobody talks to the bullies let alone punishes the bullies. Not a single thing happens to the bullies. Because of this, the bullies are further encouraged to wreak havoc on the students in the school. It is infuriating and beyond belief. And to add insult to injury, the school is constantly trying to be in the local paper about every little project the students are doing. Knowing what the community already knows about Preston Middle School, I can't imagine anybody in Fort Collins is buying the desperate attempts at public relations.

Posted March 01, 2016
I can't help but think that whichever parent left a good review for this school must have had one of the bullies as their kid. Bullying is out of control. And the school does nothing, absolutely nothing about it. We have so many neighbors and friends who are constantly complaining about the school not doing a single thing about the bullying. If you want the full-on inner city experience, this would be the school. If you have a kid who is a bully who doesn't want to suffer any consequences, this would be the school.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted March 01, 2016
The music and art teachers share the opinion that bullying is rampant in this school and reach out to the kids who are being bullied but their hands are tied due to the management's heavy hand.

Preston Middle School 3

Posted August 23, 2015
Many here have stated wonderful and glowing reviews, so I'll share some of the less desirable aspects that I/we have encountered: 1. Clique-ish at times - My daughter is a wonderfully balanced girl, with a great smile and outgoing personality. Despite this, she has found the atmosphere at Preston to be heavily clique-ish. I wonder how much worse it might be for someone with a different background or (gasp) different skin color. 2. Rushed pace in hallway / heavy load - In between classes, the halls are apparently very crowded, and there is very little time to get from one class to the others (a "rat race"). The kids are loaded down with backpacks that would be too heavy for most adults. 3. Overemphasis of learning on computers - Despite the importance of computers, sometimes they can be simply the wrong approach. It was disturbing to see reading lessons on the computer where it controlled the reading speed. I'm an avid reader, and even I couldn't keep up the brisk automated pace. I too had to skip over words, and basically lose most of the meaning of the stories. Very disappointing and frustrating to see. 4. The office tends to be staffed with students. Visits or calls to the office for important matters feel through the cracks on numerous occasions. 5. The teaching staff seems too heavily weighted towards the young end (20's/30's). There is a lack of maturity and wisdom that would help counter the untested and trendy ideas that they come up with, and weak resolutions to issues. 6. No auditorium - Music programs happen in the un-airconditioned, bleachered, poorly acoustic gymnasium

Posted August 02, 2015
I had a great time at preston with so many amazing teachers and fun opportunities.

Posted February 28, 2015
I had four kids attend this school. Some of my children were more challenging than the others but Preston worked hard with all of them. They have great programs and a phenominal staff. My youngest learned to fly a plane at school and last summer he actually flew a C172 in Florida with the knowledge he learned at Preston. Highly recommend this school.

Posted July 25, 2014
I am an incoming 8th grader at Preston Middle School. I'm very unimpressed with everything this school has had to offer for me since I've been here. The staff is very unmotivated and seem to be bored while teaching. I've come across about two teachers that I've actually liked since I arrived at Preston. The teachers are very unaware of everything going on in the classroom. I've noticed a pattern of the teachers assigning us an activity to complete by the end of class, and then spend the rest of the class period on the computer (or leave the class for 25+ min.) while the class goofs off and gets little to no work done. Then the teachers lecture is about not getting the assignment done. A majority of the students that go here are very immature and rude. I'm not going to say this applies for all students, because I have made a few good friends here, but it does go for most of them. I should also add that they are very undisciplined by the staff. Bullying has been an issue that isn't taken care of, and when there are kids doing drugs in the bathroom, they are only given a few days of ISS. The principal is concerned about winning competitions and getting more people to attend Preston.

Posted August 30, 2012
My family has experience with other schools in the district and just happened to move within the Preston boundaries. This is the first school I have been excited about in terms of preparing my child for the future. From innovative classroom strategies such as flipped classrooms to video gaming and Lego robotics, Preston is preparing students to be successful leaders. Preston is an outstanding school.

Posted May 17, 2012
I have had 2 chidren attend this school and I have also subbed at other schools in the district. This school by far is the best all around school choice. The kids are more prepared for high school. especially in math and science then the kids at the alternative middle school. I would challenge a parent to talk to the high school and see which schools better prepare the kids for the future.

Posted March 10, 2012
Very unimpressed-I regret going to preston. I do not feel very secure and safe at preston. Some of the teachers are ok. I felt that i wasnt very academically challenged and I didnt feel like i learned much. The Science program impeticular isnt very challenging. I thought it was supposed to be a STEM school but i didnt see any difference from any other school. I am not happy with Preston

4901 Corbett Drive, Fort Collins, CO  80528
Last modified Preston Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.