Fort Collins, CO

Preston Middle School 3

Posted August 23, 2015
Many here have stated wonderful and glowing reviews, so I'll share some of the less desirable aspects that I/we have encountered: 1. Clique-ish at times - My daughter is a wonderfully balanced girl, with a great smile and outgoing personality. Despite this, she has found the atmosphere at Preston to be heavily clique-ish. I wonder how much worse it might be for someone with a different background or (gasp) different skin color. 2. Rushed pace in hallway / heavy load - In between classes, the halls are apparently very crowded, and there is very little time to get from one class to the others (a "rat race"). The kids are loaded down with backpacks that would be too heavy for most adults. 3. Overemphasis of learning on computers - Despite the importance of computers, sometimes they can be simply the wrong approach. It was disturbing to see reading lessons on the computer where it controlled the reading speed. I'm an avid reader, and even I couldn't keep up the brisk automated pace. I too had to skip over words, and basically lose most of the meaning of the stories. Very disappointing and frustrating to see. 4. The office tends to be staffed with students. Visits or calls to the office for important matters feel through the cracks on numerous occasions. 5. The teaching staff seems too heavily weighted towards the young end (20's/30's). There is a lack of maturity and wisdom that would help counter the untested and trendy ideas that they come up with, and weak resolutions to issues. 6. No auditorium - Music programs happen in the un-airconditioned, bleachered, poorly acoustic gymnasium

Posted August 02, 2015
I had a great time at preston with so many amazing teachers and fun opportunities.

Posted February 28, 2015
I had four kids attend this school. Some of my children were more challenging than the others but Preston worked hard with all of them. They have great programs and a phenominal staff. My youngest learned to fly a plane at school and last summer he actually flew a C172 in Florida with the knowledge he learned at Preston. Highly recommend this school.

Posted July 25, 2014
I am an incoming 8th grader at Preston Middle School. I'm very unimpressed with everything this school has had to offer for me since I've been here. The staff is very unmotivated and seem to be bored while teaching. I've come across about two teachers that I've actually liked since I arrived at Preston. The teachers are very unaware of everything going on in the classroom. I've noticed a pattern of the teachers assigning us an activity to complete by the end of class, and then spend the rest of the class period on the computer (or leave the class for 25+ min.) while the class goofs off and gets little to no work done. Then the teachers lecture is about not getting the assignment done. A majority of the students that go here are very immature and rude. I'm not going to say this applies for all students, because I have made a few good friends here, but it does go for most of them. I should also add that they are very undisciplined by the staff. Bullying has been an issue that isn't taken care of, and when there are kids doing drugs in the bathroom, they are only given a few days of ISS. The principal is concerned about winning competitions and getting more people to attend Preston.

Posted August 30, 2012
My family has experience with other schools in the district and just happened to move within the Preston boundaries. This is the first school I have been excited about in terms of preparing my child for the future. From innovative classroom strategies such as flipped classrooms to video gaming and Lego robotics, Preston is preparing students to be successful leaders. Preston is an outstanding school.

Posted May 17, 2012
I have had 2 chidren attend this school and I have also subbed at other schools in the district. This school by far is the best all around school choice. The kids are more prepared for high school. especially in math and science then the kids at the alternative middle school. I would challenge a parent to talk to the high school and see which schools better prepare the kids for the future.

Posted March 10, 2012
Very unimpressed-I regret going to preston. I do not feel very secure and safe at preston. Some of the teachers are ok. I felt that i wasnt very academically challenged and I didnt feel like i learned much. The Science program impeticular isnt very challenging. I thought it was supposed to be a STEM school but i didnt see any difference from any other school. I am not happy with Preston

Posted October 10, 2010
I have worked at 5 schools in my career and Preston ranks lowest. The principal and vice principal are both very weak leaders. They are motivated by the amount of money a parent makes and the rich kids get away with everything. There is a lot of bullying and it is accepted by the principals. There are very rich and enabled students there who are lacking love and discipline at home. I would look elsewhere for a school

Preston Middle School

Posted April 26, 2010
We think Preston is a great school! Our son attends there and the teachers are very good at individually challenging each student according to their learning abilities. The band program is excellent as well!

Preston Middle School 2

Posted January 10, 2008
At Preston, bullies never get punished, even repeat offenders, so there is a significant problem. Several victims have spoken out, but all that happens is that the counselors talk with the victims. The bullies are left alone to do as they please.

Preston Middle School
4901 Corbett Dr, Fort Collins, CO  80528
Last modified Preston Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Preston Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top