Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Teachers have been great and truly care about my child. I appreciate everything they do and the commitment they have!!

Amount of homework: Disagree

Sometimes it seams a little much, but can not argue with the results, which have been very good!

I have one child going to this school and can not say enough great things about them, I am a single father and have been very lucky to have been a part of the Shepardson family. My child's growth has been amazing, in no small part due to the teacher's truly caring about each and every child. All the teachers and after school care people I have worked with have been GREAT! five star plus in my book!

The principal and/or vice principal are always in attendance at PTO meetings, making real effort to listen to parents. The teachers are communicative, hands-on and approachable. There are many opportunities to be part of our child's educational experience in the classroom.

Generally speaking as a parent, this school just gets a child by. Ever since Mary Kay Somers left a few years ago, it has gone downhill. Also, it appears as though this schools principal is pro "Common Core" which is a negative in my eyes. I'm not sure why they put such an emphasis on STEM, as it really doesn't seem to be reflected in their curriculum. If you are unaware of Common Core and what it will mean for your child, please do your due diligence and do some research.

We LOVE Shepardson. The Principal, Mary Kay Sommers is amazing! We transferred from an awful Core Knowledge school and couldn't be happier with Shepardson. Great CERTIFIED teachers and staff!!

I have had two children attend Shepardson for the last year and a half. I am very unhappy with how I was treated as a single father parent. I spent the entire last year trying to get my oldest into some extra reading classes to improve her reading potential. I was ignored the entire year and then required to sit down with special ed's teacher to go over how low my child's reading score was. I feel like my child's reading was observed for entire year when they should have been helping her try to improve her reading through out the year. I do not recommend this school to any one that may needs some special assistance with their education, or single father's trying to get their children to receive the same great education every other child is receiving.

What makes Shepardson so amazing is the quality of the Principal, Mary Kay Sommers. With her leadership and ability to hire exceptional teachers for children of all abilities, I give Shepardson two thumbs up! Mary Kay is forward looking always working with the staff and parents to find ways to continually improve the school environment and advance student achievement. Leadership matters and Mary Kay is the best!

I have had 3 children attending Shepardson since 1996. This school teaches the fundamentals of writing and speaking with excellence. Creative projects enforce learning, and teachers are attentive to all student's needs. Strong parent involvement is a hallmark of this school and our principal has been a consistent leader and manager of her staff. More recently, Shepardson has sought out the English as Second Language population. This has brought a diversity to our school that did not exist when we arrived in '96. Although this has presented challenges, the staff has risen to the occasion and strives to blend only English speakers with those who are learning. The result is a beautiful picture of a world that is widening for our elementary students. Homework is at times challenging and projects can be time consuming, but overall is very manageable. Come visit our school, talk to staff and see for yourself.

Last modified Shepardson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.