School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Lopez is a neighborhood school of choice. We are proud to serve all children and have a range of support systems from gifted and talented to outstanding special education staff. As a Leader in Me school, we help develop and celebrate the unique gifts within each and every child. In 2013, Lopez scored in the 90th percentile or above compared to all elementary schools in Colorado in reading, writing, math, and science achievement. We have an outstanding parent community who contributes thousands of hours every year to our academic programs and school events. This is a wonderful school in one of the best cities in the country!
November 18, 2013

Bad
Good

As a former student of Lopez Elementary I will say that this is not the best School I have attended. They do not give new students a warm welcome to the school and they do not discipline bullies. So basically what I'm saying is if you're thinking about send your kids to Lopez you might want to think about sending them to another Elementary School.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted November 18, 2013

My child is ASD, and we were shanghai'ed into this school. The school, admin, paras are clueless on classroom and teaching techniques to be implemented. After many meetings, the school will not accommodate our child's needs. We asked many questions, held several 1on1 meetings with teachers & staff. With all that preparation, WE still knew MORE about teaching & handling ASD than the professionals. It's not simply understanding the disorder or terms, it's knowing how to handle security, bullying, shutting down, elopement, handwriting, and the host of manifestations. His K teacher told us straight out she'd never taught ASD kids and did not have any training for ASD. There were no visual cues for children to follow, no sensory play tables. The para was not certified, and on and on it went. The teachers in higher grades were similarly unprepared, unqualified. These types of children are good & academically proficient. They easily fall off an untrained, overworked teacher's radar who cannot spot a child in trouble. Moreover, the school & admin have refused to consider a transfer to a school meeting our needs If your child is ASD, do NOT send to Lopez.

Lopez Elementary is an outstanding School. The reason the school thrives is because of the teachers commitment to every child at Lopez even the Custodians play a role. Every staff member is committed to the kids and it shows. The teachers do more than they are payed for. My children have grown so much under the instruction of these teachers we are getting a private school edjucation for free. The future is at Lopez a Leader in Me School. I am forever greatful for all the investments made by every teacher who has taught my children. The foundation has been laid for their future learning and success. Praise God for a remarkable genuine School. God's hands are all over this school. When my last child leaves Lopez I will still continue to volunteer my time!

When we moved across town, we thought that Lopez would be a good school after our son did so well at his previous core knowledge school. After a year (2nd grade), he told us he didn't like Lopez- the teaching wasn't interesting, and there were too many bullies. We are moving him back to a core knowledge school for 3rd grade, even though it means driving him to and from school every day. This may be a good school for some kids, but it just wasn't for ours.

This is in response to the kindergarten parent who posted on May 8, 2011. I am also a kindergarten parent at Lopez. If my child came home and said what your child said, I would talk to his teacher for him if he is too afraid to talk to talk to his teacher on his own. It is our responsibility as a parent to be your child's advocate. They are too young in kindergarten to navigate this kind of situation on their own. Anytime I have spoken to a Lopez teacher, para or the principal, they have been very responsive. This is great school!

When I first enrolled my son in Lopez I was very pleased. The kindergarden program is very good, he knows how to read and simple math skills. What I am NOT pleased with is he started coming home saying how he hates school--come to find out he is being bullied on the playground by another classmate. This classmate does it behind the teacher's back and tells me son if he tells the teacher he will 'beat him up'. This is kindergarden ! Not happy about this at all.

I am not sure how sincere the parent/teacher who posted on April 26 2010. I have two daughters in the school andjudging from the qualiyty of their work and my interaction with the principal and staff, I can only say this is a great school. I am a contented parent and I would not move my kids for anything in the world!

My daughter attended Lopez School and loved it! She attended her first school dance and it was a success. She now goes to Webber Jr. High and is a straight A student there!

I am a teacher and a parent of a Lopez student. I do not teach at the school, nor would I as I have seen first hand how bad this school really is. They are horrible on discipline and they let the IEP kids get away with absolutely outrageous behavior and they just keep passing them. The teachers that my child has had are old and should have retired years ago judging from their poor teaching ability and lack of energy or true caring. As a teacher, I am appalled at the lack of professionalism of the staff including the front office staff and the playground staff's lack of any kind of kindness. We volunteer as parents and have been nothing but disappointed and we can't wait to move our kids out of this school!!!

Last modified Lopez Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.