Fort Collins, CO

Posted October 17, 2014
Please be aware that full day kindergarten is not standard at this school as well as majority of other Poudre-R1 schools. The schools that do offer full day charge tuition and its nearly impossible to get in when transferring in the middle of the school year. We relocated from Arizona one month after school started and the district superintendent denied our request to allow our son to attend school while we were purchasing a home within Werners boundaries. We miss our top rated Kyrene schools with standard full day kindergarten. Shame on Fort Collins for not looking out for the best interests of their students. I can't believe education isn't a top priority as demonstrated by the lack of funds for their youngest learners and many low rated schools. I can see why charter schools are so popular here. I'm so upset that the superintendent thinks its acceptable for my son to attend as many as four different schools as we transition to our permanent home. I see why its hard for companies to recruit top talent here. Looks like we'll be going the parochial route here.

Posted May 09, 2014
what i think about this school is it is grate. I was a student there it was really grate they helped me get throw some tuff times in school and there are grate teachers and students I love this school.

Posted April 04, 2014
We have been very pleased with Werner. My children were new last year and we were welcomed immediately. The principal takes the time to get to know each family and it really feels like a community. This year, my daughter's reading was a little lower than it should have been. She received extra help, including an after school "homework club." At the same time, my son is getting plenty of challenge in his advanced class. The PTA seems a bit "clique-y" but I think that is how it goes at any school. For the most part the parents are warm and friendly.

Werner Elementary School 3

Posted June 02, 2013
Based on our experience the school did not live up to my expectations. The teacher was very unorganized. My child had a folder that was supposed to come home on Thursdays with homework for the week. Instead the homework was often crumpled up in the backpack with a pile of crumpled art projects and schoolwork. I had to sift through piles of junk paper to dig for homework and communications from the teacher. We never had a clear understanding of what was expected. I volunteered in class and was surprised at how loud, unorganized and chaotic things were. The children didn't seem to know what they were supposed to be doing. In my opinion, elementary school children need to have some structure and a clear understanding of what is expected of them. I found the school to be very unstructured. Even the lost and found pile just sits in the hallway full of lost belongings that are just strewn about - another element adding to the chaos and disorganization that appears prevalent here. There were aspects of the school we liked but in general we were disappointed.

Posted March 28, 2011
Wow, this has been just about the best move we could have made for our family. The teachers have been great for both of my kids. They were made to feel welcome and got right into fantastic social groups. I can't say enough about this wonderful learning community.

Posted February 07, 2011
My kids first year at the school was 5th grade (2010/11) and it has been the worst of all the schools he has attended. He received a "F" on the second day of school! He didn't even know where his classroom was yet!! The teachers are very ridged and they don't take the time to get to know new students. If your family grew up in Werner you are good. If not good luck if you dont fit the right mold. My child who was a excellent student in 3 other states now hates school. Thanks a lot!

Posted February 07, 2011
I will have to say that this is the worst school that we have encountered. Not only did my children lose a good quality education that they had received prior to coming here but they have great animosity towards their previous 5th grade teachers there. The principal has done nothing to improve the quality of staff that is teaching there and shows no interest in the concerns of the parents. The staff has NO interest in teaching but just receiving a paycheck and that is the saddest part of this experience. They should be ashamed of themselves having called themselves educators.

Posted November 04, 2009
As a former parent, I want to thank Werner's staff. My children received an outstanding education, and I contribute much of their success to the teachers at Werner.

Posted March 07, 2009
I was disappointed with this school when my children attended. I have a child with special needs, and the school could not fit him into the special needs class, so we had to pay for private lessons for him to help him. The school has a good reputation on the whole, but some people keep their bad opinions to themselves.

Posted November 20, 2007
We just moved into the area and our kids felt welcomed and they really like Werner. The teachers seem to really care about each child's individual learning styles. The teachers also seem sincerely interested in getting to know the parents. This is a gem.

Werner Elementary School
5400 Mail Creek Ln, Fort Collins, CO  80525
Last modified Werner Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Werner Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top