Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Amount of homework: Agree

I think it's great they don't overwhelm kids with homework. There could be a bit more expected but I for one am really glad they have time in the afternoon for sports or family time. Both of my kids are doing great academically without spending hours a day with homework.

Compass has been a great experience for us. I'll admit, there is a bit of a leap of faith necessary when you realize your child does not have homework, nor do they at times seem to be learning anything when you walk through the school. But- take a minute to talk to the kids starting in middle school. I have a child entering high school who started there as a three year old, and I am just so impressed when I get around his peers- as a chaperone on school trips, etc. These kids are polite, intelligent, inquisitive and engaging. They work very hard to create a positive learning environment for everyone. I have seen first hand just how hard they work to create that environment, and it really shows. Both of my kids love Compass and are enthusiastic learners.

We have been with Compass at Golden community for three years and now are in our fourth...our son is in first grade. I am so pleased we got a chance to begin his Montessori education there at age three and keep going. The teachers and staff that we have experienced are dedicated and empathic and talented, and the new leadership seems as committed to excellence. I have no experience with the Board and can’t speak to the experience of others who have rated this school with one star, but for us and our son, it is a place to thrive, be independent, and be challenged. Overall, it is a leap of faith to step outside traditional sit-in-at-a-desk and take home a big folder of home work model, but when you look at the continuum of education and graduation rate/college placement (after all isn’t the end goal the true measure of a result?), ACT scores, and other factors, I feel comfortable knowing my son is getting a great education alongside learning community social values. Of occurs things changes, as kids develop, what worked at one phase may not work at the other, but for now, he is on par, at pace and more so with his friends and peers from other schools. We love what we see every day.

Too much playtime. Some teachers way overestimate their teaching ability. One senior member of the school sent email to everyone that threatened to report families for absences. They are rated the lowest in lower in performance by Jefferson County Schools. O fcourse they spend a lot of tine against core education and the school board.

To make long story short, Compass is not what it seems to be. The executive board seems to be more concerned about it's image than it is about the children. Our family had a very disappointing experience. There are some great people involved in and with the school. But the overall vibe is not community or the whole child, it is judgmental and the "perfect child". Sad for my son, but now he has moved on and has recovered from being treated unfairly.

I LOOOVE IT!!! This is best school ever. The program is amazing, and so are all the kids and animals. (golden compass farm schooler)

I thought this would be a good school, but I have been extremely disappointed. Too much play time and not much interest in core education. In my opinion Its more a club than a quality school. The "Executive Board" doesn't seem to know much about education.. I hope the newly elected school board will do something about this school.

Compass has exceeded our expectations at every turn. This is truly a community school, where kids learn benefit from belonging and learn the value of service. I wish that I could give a more than 5 star rating for the quality of the teachers; it is a joy to think to myself in the morning, "I'm so glad that my kid gets to spend her day with you." Not only have they guided my child to meet all of her academic milestones on time, watching them has taught me invaluable things about how to best support a growing learner. I appreciate the expanded Montessori curriculum, which includes teaching geography from preschool and grammar/mechanics from first grade. Not to mention peace and conflict resolution from the earliest ages. Beyond the academics at Compass, I am thrilled with all of the intangibles--things like opportunities for parent education; student leadership development; critical thinking and problem solving skills; self discipline; and independence. These kids know how to find the information they need, rather than regurgitate facts and figures for the benefit of the adults around them. They know how to learn, and that is what I want for my children.

I am so impressed by Compass Montessori school! This is such a great way to teach kids about the real world and their place in it. My daughter is in the Farm School (7th - 9th grades) and she learns through practical application of leadership skills, self direction, personal responsibility, care of self and others (human and animal), community service, social and environmental issues, real world use of academic lessons and many opportunities for personal growth. This is unlike any school I went to growing up. The students who come out of the full Compass program are light years beyond their peers in so many ways! Our family loves Compass!

Compass has offered my son an amazing blend of a nurturing environment and educational opportunities. When I walk into his classroom the amount of engagement blows me away every time. Surprisingly, when I toured the school, the same level of engagement was present in the high school as well. I'm hoping my son can be here for the next 13 years!!!

Last modified Compass Montessori - Golden Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-12