Free Horizon Montessori Charter School 1

Posted April 21, 2015
We had a fabulous teacher for the first four years (K-3rd), but she moved on so I can't even recommend this school for those of you who may have a K-3rd grade student. My experience was that I brought to the Dean of Student's attention that my child felt ignored and he (after two calls and an email) responded that he would talk to my child about it, which he never did. In a community the prides itself in giving children a voice this is very concerning. It is also disturbing that after promoting FHM, volunteering and giving to FHM to learn that if you have a problem they could careless.

Posted April 08, 2015
FHM has been the best possible school for our family. My children are truly loved, respected, and understood. The staff are amazing - from admin to the teachers to the special Ed dept. I am both thrilled and honored to be a part of such an amazing community.

Posted January 22, 2015
Been very happy with FHM. We weren't sure if this would be the best fit for our profoundly gifted child, but so far it's been really great. Teachers and staff have been very caring and accommodating, making sure our child is able to explore and learn at her level. She is being challenged and encouraged in a supportive and loving environment. Anytime I've had questions or concerns, they are dealt with promptly and with genuine interest and care. The relaxed environment at FHM allows the students to foster a love of learning; not fear, stress and anxiety over performance and grades.

Free Horizon Montessori Charter School 1

Posted January 06, 2015
IF you are considering enrolling your child or applying for employment at Free Horizon Montessori......RUN! Run for your life and don't turn back! The principal is extremely passive, does not have leadership experience or skills and hides behind bureaucracy. The rest of the staff is so intimidated by the principal's controlling nature, they are afraid to take a stand about anything. The administration does not have any experience or knowledge as to how run a school effectively, kindly or collaboratively. The staff turnover is extremely high which allows for incompetent teachers to remain in their positions as it seems as if the goal is to have "a body" in the position. Your children will suffer and will not receive an education that will prepare them for the future.

Posted October 15, 2014
Pros: Free Horizon Montessori (FHM) engages the individual child on a journey of learning - the teachers are really good at meeting the child where they are at both intellectually and socially. My child's teacher last year spoke of how each child in the classroom has a "big work" for the year - my child's was "sitting still long enough to complete an assignment". The teacher wasn't upset or worried about my child's wandering mind or body - she simply, and gently, worked every day to help my daughter be a bit more independent. Cons - While the turn over at FHM is low for a charter school, families and teachers leave the school more often than they would a neighborhood school because people have choice.

Posted October 15, 2014
Free Horizon Montessori Charter School has exceeded my expectations. My 3 year old and 6 year old are learning so much and enjoying every minute of it. The parent participation is very strong and the principal is committed to the school and the children, as is every teacher there. Teachers, principals, and parents go above and beyond here because we all believe in it and want to make it the best place for our kids to learn and grow.

Posted October 14, 2014
My family has been at Free Horizon Montessori for many years. Several years ago there were many changes that happened at FHM all in a short period of time and it was a challenging time for the school. I can say without a doubt that for quite some time things have steadily moved in a positive direction for Free Horizon Montessori. The Board of Directors, Administrative Team, and Teachers are all working well together to create an optimal learning environment for the students at Free Horizon. It is an amazing learning environment that produces creative, critically thinking, responsible students that will be life long learners because they aren't just learning facts, they are learning to love to learn. I encourage you to take a tour of Free Horizon Montessori to learn more about the Montessori teaching method and to determine if FHM might be a good fit for your family. I can't imagine a school that would be a better fit for my family!

Posted October 14, 2014
I am a Montessori kid, and as such, was looking for a school that met my high expectations for inspired learning, while balancing my son's natural ability to learn, and very normal learning challenges. In our 5th year at Free Horizon, we have embraced a vibrant, caring community. My son couldn't be more delighted about jumping into school every day, learning and most importantly learning to function in a community. His latest parent/teacher conference reported that he had outstanding citizenship --- really, what more could we ask for? This doesn't come from a test, it doesn't come from homework, it comes from trusting calm adults who understand and support children and their natural ability to learn and thrive. Montessori is about guiding, not about cramming in facts and figures. As a Montessori kid, turned into an adult, I wouldn't give back that educational experience for anything. So glad that my son is able to share that same experience.

Free Horizon Montessori Charter School 4

Posted October 14, 2014
My daughter went to Free Horizon for preschool and is in kindergarten there now. She LOVES school. At her age, we really want a school that will foster her love of learning and let her explore things that interest her while still having structure in her day. Her teacher is awesome, and the assistant teacher is an integral part of a fabulous classroom environment that promotes personal growth and learning. We have no experience with the upper level grades at this point.

Free Horizon Montessori Charter School 4

Posted October 14, 2014
FHM does not just pay lip service to individualized learning they actually put it into practice. There has been lots in the news about teaching children to think critically about the material they are learning and I have found this to be the case for both of my children at FHM. Balancing a Montessori curriculum with the demands of a public school system can be tricky and challenging for teacher and administrators. FHM strive to balance these sometimes competing interests. If you are looking for a school where standardized test scores are placed at a premium this may not be your school as there is no teaching to the test and materials are not presented in the same order or modalities as more traditional public schools. However, if you are looking for an enriching environment that challenges your child to be their very best this could be the right school!

Free Horizon Montessori Charter School
581 Conference Place, Golden, CO  80401
Last modified Free Horizon Montessori Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Free Horizon Montessori Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 71 reviews. Top