Golden High School

Public | 9-12 | 1249 students

Posted January 14, 2014

Some really exciting things happening at Golden High School. This is the only real "neighborhood high school" in Jeffco - and it serves kids across the spectrum well!! GHS is a STEM school, without feeling the need to be labeled such. At the same time, it has an excellent arts program and very high-level culinary courses. In other words, ALL the kids from the GHS neighborhood will find their niche here. Honors and AP kids thrive. ESS kids thrive. Teachers are engaged and care about kids even outside of the classroom. Team spirit runs deep and community involvement is high. The Golden City Council has only one high school on which to focus - GHS benefits from that community connection. The oldest high school in Colorado is a GREAT SCHOOL!

Posted July 7, 2013

I have transferred many times since starting school. I am about to start my senior year at GHS. I have been there for a year and a half now and I love it. The academics are challenging and I have been welcomed into the community. Through social opportunities and athletics I feel like I truly am a part of the school. All of the teachers and staff have been great. I love GHS and am glad that I will be graduating from the school.

Posted August 14, 2012

My name is Juan carlos I went to GHS in 1977 as a foreing student from Venezuela, I loved that school, theTeachers were very strict, I had a wonderfull friends. I will sent my son when he graduated from high school here in Venezuela to GHS to learn english. a Very good school and the people excelent.

Posted April 23, 2012

Each of my three children attended this school, but none graduated; I removed them due to issues with the administration. This is not a school that will work to meet the individual needs of the student. On several occassions, I tried to work with staff to modify course schedule to best fit my student's progress and capabilities. Each time I was told that changes could not be accommodated. Tired of edictorial policy and false promises, I decided to look elsewhere for a quality education . I found out that in Jeffco, school policies are mostly controlled by the local school administrators. In the case of Principal Murphy at GHS, this meant no special effort to work with the student. The policy trickled down to the other administratos as well, including current Principal Conroy, who as AP did not keep several commitments. Since the class of 2011 graduated, several of the adminstrators have left the school, presumably retired. However, what every parent should know is that even in the public school system there are options. Other Jeffco schools are more accommodating. Contact your school superintendent to discuss the options if you have a student that does not fit the rigid GHS mold.

Posted July 17, 2011

My son graduated from GHS in 2007. He has now graduated from an out of state university with excellent grades. He was extremely well prepared for college. In fact, his freshman year of college my son commented that he was better prepared for college than many of his classmates who had attended private prep schools. Like everything you will get out of GHS what you put into it. We now have a son entering 10th grade at GHS are pleased with his progress there as well.

Posted February 1, 2010

The school its self is great! but the teachers and students have a 'blah' attutide! I sugest a different school!

Posted January 19, 2010

I am a parent of a Freshman at GHS and thus far I love this school! The academic challenge is definitely there in the honors program and there is a wonderful community of really smart and interesting kids. There is a sense of 'community' in this school that is lacking in all of the other Jeffco High Schools. Their drama department is nothing short of unbelievable in what they produce, and the sports teams, while not the very best are competitive at most levels. The brand new facility is first rate and has brought a whole new atmosphere to this school. These kids are getting the best teachers in brand new classrooms with views that most people have to pay for! A real nugget (no pun intended!) of a school!

Posted December 29, 2009

After spending a semester at GHS I would have to say the the people at golden are very friendly unfortunatly acedemicaly I was never challanged and find myself having to catch up going back to finish my high school years

Posted December 9, 2009

I loved my experience at GHS! However, they could have prepared me/others better for college! I was one of the very few students to go to school out of state. Many students didn t even go to college. SO disappointing! Once I got to college I felt unprepared academically. At GHS I never studied, did my homework right before class (or during), yet still got a 3.4 GPA. With how easy GHS was, I was surprised to get such a bad GPA my freshman year of college and realized I could not slack off anymore! I think off-blocks and off-campus lunch is a great way to teach students responsibility. Let s be honest all kids are going to ditch class and experiment with drinking and smoking. This has nothing to do with the school they attend. Please don t worry about sending your kid to GHS. Just be proactive about their college search!

Posted March 1, 2009

I am not very impressed with the quality of this school. The principal tends to give excuses, bowing to pressure rather than providing leadership by setting goals and high expectations for the students. Much of the student body has a 'just get by' attitude. There is too much drug usage and excessive displays of sexual activity allowed. The administration has a punitive rather than encouraging attitude. All of this leads to low achievement by students. The new school building, the teachers and choir director are very good, however.

Posted November 18, 2008

I love Golden High School! As a graduate of GHS I can tell you that I enjoyed a healthy balance of strong academic integrity, driven extra-curricular activities, and an accepting and inviting social atmosphere during my four years there. The teachers pushed me to succeed and were willing to sit with me individually to work out problems or concepts that were hard to grasp. In my search for the right college and scholarships, the counseling staff was instrumental, and was always willing to take time from their schedules to help me personally. Currently I am a freshman at a private Christian college, and the recipient of a very competitive full-ride academic scholarship, which I believe my high school prepared and enabled me to compete for. Attending GHS was an enriching experience that I encourage anyone to seek after.

Posted July 22, 2008

I am currently entering my senior year. After reading teh review I think they are all justifed. I think most parents if not all overlook one goal of highschool. Its about learning personal responsibility. When parnts complain about off blocks, falling grades and lack of aid its not the schools fault. I will vouch that excellent teachers and unrivield oppertunities exist at golden. You just have to step up to the plate and take advantage of it. That said their science department is untouchable. THey offer a wide variety of both honors and AP courses. If you have a child who is willing to work/seek such oppertunities it may vry well be one of the best high schools in existance. I wont lie though, many contempary students are rough around the edges.

Posted March 27, 2008

I love this school. I graduated in 2007 and I now attend college in nebraska at kearney. Teachers are willing to give a helping hand

Posted September 12, 2007

this school rocks

Posted August 2, 2007

My daughter transfered to Golden last year as a Junior. She was happy with her decison to transfer the first day and did not ever look back. Her counselor was helpful and supportive. She did well both academically and socially. As an athlete she experienced great coaching and she loved her team mates. She is well postioned to succeed in what ever she chooses.

Posted May 23, 2007

I am about to graduate from Golden High School and although there are many things I think they could improve the school was great. I had a few teachers that were off their rocker but the teachers that really do care made up for that. One thing I would change is the support that goes into all of the arts from the Principal and rest of the school, I've seen a decline in activities in the arts, good supplies and enthusiasm, which greatly disappoints me. But other than that I don't think I could have asked to go to a better high school, in a better community. I feel safe at Golden and I will always be able to call it home.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 19, 2007

I have been struggling with some teachers regarding curriculum. There seems to be no set curriculum in some of the classes. How do we encourage or help our student with no guidelines?

Posted April 10, 2007

This is our fourth child that has attended and graduating from GHS. This senior year has been a major disappointment for our son as well as ourselves. From the parking lot fiasco to poor interaction with school counselors, Sports/Coaching/favoritism issues for the past four years. We are happy to be through with Jeffco schools!!!

Posted January 15, 2007

We love GHS. Our son graduated in 2003 and was accepted to an Ivy League school as well as 12 other very highly ranked schools including Middlebury, Williams, WashU, etc. In other words, if a student is willing to apply themselves, they can get an exceptional education and can achieve as much as they could going to a private school. But, at GHS they will have a more rounded experience. We now have a daughter at GHS and she loves it, although she has to work very hard. The school has been on a positive upward trend for the past 6-8 years as a result of good leadership, teachers, and coaches who care. With a new school under construction, the students and staff will be in an environment even more conducive to learning and generally a more positive experience.

Posted July 15, 2006

My son graduated from GHS this past May. I was very pleased with the academic and well rounded education he received. He will be going on to college and is well prepared. My other son will be a sophomore at GHS this fall. He had a great freshman year at Golden. He managed a 3.8 gpa.in honors classes. This was a kid who was on an ILP (individual literacy plan) throughout elem. school. He is challenged, diciplined, and thriving. The teaching staff appears to be deticated (ever been to conference night?) The administrative staff is adeuate. It will be interesting to see how the environment will change as the new school is built. I enjoy the online newsletter & infinat campus. The sports fees in Jeffco are skyhigh.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 55% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

334 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

333 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 51% in 2013.

334 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 49% in 2013.

333 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students46%

Students without disabilities58%
Proficient in English56%
Neither migrant nor immigrant54%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

3 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Colorado high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 22%N/A41%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Librarian/media specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options