Bad
Good

Both my kids have gone here since kindergarten and absolutely love it. The principal is a great and has worked hard to get the school to where it is now. It honestly can't be that bad if we have a waiting list of people who want their children to attend!

This school and its staff are horrible. I have had my kids in school district 51 for over seven years and I have never been so glad a school year is over.... This was supposed to be a positive change- this school is awful.

The principle is rude and downright condescending. My son was having trouble reading and after multiple meetings with his teacher, I asked for a meeting. He told me he would not offer additional help to my son unless the teacher began the "process" and didn't care that we had met multiple times without any help. I told him I wasn't going to take no for an answer, so he then told me that "I am the type of person who blames my problems on everyone else. " and I should "stop feeling sorry for myself" before he hung up on me. The district wasn't helpful and told me since it is a charter school, they have their own board to file conplaints with. They only had an email address to contact such "board" and after writing 3 separate emails and without a response, I am pretty sure that this "principal" is a board member. This school is definitely NOT a place to bring your children.

Started out great but has a major bulling problem. Current principle has shown no desire to change. Will not be amending again.

I absolutely love this school! The teachers who taught me in 7th grade were amazing! I'm very disappointed that this school doesn't continue into high school, because I for sure would attend it! The classrooms are structured and are a perfect learning enviroment than any school I have ever been too! GO IACS!

I am very happy that my daughter is going to this school. She has been going since K.

We moved to Grand Junction this year and chose IACS because it was a one of the few K-8's in town and it was recommended by a friend. We have nothing but praise for the school, it's leadership and teachers. My child's difficulties with math were identified within a few weeks of school starting, before I even had a chance to go to the teacher with my concerns she had him identified and was giving him the extra help he needed to catch up. I thought I would dislike the four day week schedule, but it turned out to be great for my child. He's doing so much better in school this year. The only reason I don't give IACS five stars is because they don't have band, orchestra or organized sports. I hope these will be available to the kids in future years.

This school has made leaps and bounds of progress since the days it was in the church. Quality staff is dedicated to giving the best instruction possible and has taken their own time to form a professional learning community to make sure best practice is used in all academic areas. Students are held accountable and are treated with respect by all staff members. Don't know where a former reviewer got the idea that the school was not going to be around this year. It is going strong and adding another 3rd grade class for the 2011-2012 school year. The school will be two round from K-3rd grade. Keep up the great work teachers!

Love it . Mr Lockhart is outstanding the best in the valley. Always thier to listen and help. You can find him in the middle of summer painting and re carpeting the school with several other staff. To spell it out his leadership and devotion is an A+. Kindness isnt forced and he is driven by the success of his students.

I was thinking of taking my child to this school, but after meeting the principle I was very discouraged. It was my perception he was very insensitive to my concerns about my childs needs and did not give any encouragement at all. I felt as thought he was doing me a favor by accepting my son into" his" school. The arrogance, unprofessionalism, and insensitivity was a huge turn off for me. I am sorry for those students that are exposed to this type of leadership.

Last modified Independence Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.