Public charter
Grand Junction, CO

Posted April 24, 2014
Started out great but has a major bulling problem. Current principle has shown no desire to change. Will not be amending again.

Posted April 10, 2013
I absolutely love this school! The teachers who taught me in 7th grade were amazing! I'm very disappointed that this school doesn't continue into high school, because I for sure would attend it! The classrooms are structured and are a perfect learning enviroment than any school I have ever been too! GO IACS!

Posted February 27, 2013
I am very happy that my daughter is going to this school. She has been going since K.

Independence Academy 4

Posted February 05, 2013
We moved to Grand Junction this year and chose IACS because it was a one of the few K-8's in town and it was recommended by a friend. We have nothing but praise for the school, it's leadership and teachers. My child's difficulties with math were identified within a few weeks of school starting, before I even had a chance to go to the teacher with my concerns she had him identified and was giving him the extra help he needed to catch up. I thought I would dislike the four day week schedule, but it turned out to be great for my child. He's doing so much better in school this year. The only reason I don't give IACS five stars is because they don't have band, orchestra or organized sports. I hope these will be available to the kids in future years.

Posted April 18, 2011
This school has made leaps and bounds of progress since the days it was in the church. Quality staff is dedicated to giving the best instruction possible and has taken their own time to form a professional learning community to make sure best practice is used in all academic areas. Students are held accountable and are treated with respect by all staff members. Don't know where a former reviewer got the idea that the school was not going to be around this year. It is going strong and adding another 3rd grade class for the 2011-2012 school year. The school will be two round from K-3rd grade. Keep up the great work teachers!

Independence Academy 4

Posted November 17, 2010
Love it . Mr Lockhart is outstanding the best in the valley. Always thier to listen and help. You can find him in the middle of summer painting and re carpeting the school with several other staff. To spell it out his leadership and devotion is an A+. Kindness isnt forced and he is driven by the success of his students.

Posted July 26, 2010
I was thinking of taking my child to this school, but after meeting the principle I was very discouraged. It was my perception he was very insensitive to my concerns about my childs needs and did not give any encouragement at all. I felt as thought he was doing me a favor by accepting my son into" his" school. The arrogance, unprofessionalism, and insensitivity was a huge turn off for me. I am sorry for those students that are exposed to this type of leadership.

Posted July 21, 2010
As a student who may be going there (school may be gone next year)next year and has gone there for 2 years before. i saw a change from how it is at a normal school and this school some is normal some isnt. i recivedsome education and at the same time.... i lost hope i just felt like none of the teachers there belived that i could go back to a normal school. only 3 of my teachers belived i could do it .(big shoutout to mr. kevin!!!!!) one day i missed my bus and i heard some of them talking about me and i sat there unnoticed for about 10 minutes and some of the things they said about me were awful and hurtful. i may have been one of the most unlikley students that was there but the things they said were uncalled for and rude.

Independence Academy 2

Posted May 07, 2010
i like the idea of having the smaller classroom settings for the middle schoolers but if one of these teachers decide they dont like your student then its a no win situation for your child. out of the 6 middle school teachers there are really only 2 that can really relate to and teach the kids in my opinion. i also do not think any staff member has the right to swear at any student but thats always their word against your childs. i will be very happy when we are done there this year. thanks to the ones who really have tried and worked with my student but to the ones who have picked their favorite students you have not been fair to the others. so in my opinion this school would be great with a few different teachers and a few new office staff people

Posted February 10, 2010

Independence Academy
600 North 14th St, Grand Junction, CO  81501
Last modified Independence Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Independence Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top