Caprock Academy

Charter | K-11 | 639 students

Posted Monday, October 27, 2014

Caprock is in my opinion the absolute best school in Grand Junction! We have 2 middle school students in caprock and they love school, they are excelling in their classes, are excited about their own educations and futures. The teachers and staff are so wonderful to work with. We can't have asked for a better experience! We are so greatful for the privledge to be a part if this awesome community...the Caprock community!!

Posted Saturday, October 25, 2014

I have 2 children at Caprock. One on his 5th year. Is Caprock for everyone? No. For our family, yes. The difference in my son's vocabulary was huge right away. Since then the art that my son recognizes, the subjects they discuss, books they read. It's a quality education. I don't love all the teachers, but I feel they are qualified and my children have always been more than happy with them. The rules are written for all to read, actually you sign off every year that you've read them. They aren't that difficult to follow. I believe it's a great place for my children. They are doing great and I feel they are learning at an accelerated rate.

Posted Saturday, October 25, 2014

The mission of Caprock is to help all students achieve their highest academic and character potential using proven, accelerated academic programs, while providing a safe environment. For our two children this mission has been accomplished thus far. We love that much of the drama of public education is eliminated because of uniforms and the rigors of the academics. No time for drama when you're busy learning! And we love that caring community involvement is highly encouraged and taught. Our children feel very safe here and are excited about all the amazing things they are learning in art, music, history, and Latin. Spanish begins in 3rd grade and our son is enjoying that as well. Caprock is not for every kid or family, but for our family, we can say, "mission accomplished" and keep it up. We are thankful we have this option for our children!

Posted October 24, 2014

Caprock Academy has drastically improved my son's educational experience. He started in a public school where was terribly bored and there was very little structure in the classroom. We chose to move him to Caprock and he has flourished. They approach math and literacy at ability level offering 3-4 different classes for each grade level. This allows each student to learn at a rate that keeps them interested and makes them feel successful. I volunteer in the classroom and find it amazing how respectful and eager to learn the students are. They also have PE everyday as well as either Music or Art making a well rounded education for their students. I feel so fortunate to have my son there and my younger son will be starting next fall.

Posted October 23, 2014

My daughter has a learning disability. My husband and I felt that the public school atmosphere hindered her advancement. After we chose to transfer her to Caprock, she has moved steadily towards the goal of catching up with her peers. It is wonderful to see her blossom and show a much higher self esteem level than we ever thought possible. She loves her school!

Posted October 23, 2014

This is the first school year my son and daughter have attended caprock Academy. At first my children struggled to keep up with the assignments and homework. The curriculum is somewhat challenging but the benefits are amazing. My children have progressed wonderfully and they have learned so much. We are in the second quarter now and it is amazing how much information my kids have learned. It is relieving to know that my children are in a school that does not tolerate bullying. Caprock teaches their students to be respectful and polite to their teachers and their peers. Both my children enjoy going to school everyday, learning in the classroom , and finishing their homework every night without discouragement or hesitation. Their confidence has risen to a level that is absolutely astonishing and I know that I have made a great choice by enrolling them into Caprock. I'm thankful to have my kids in a school that guides their students in the right direction as they grow to be successful , respectful and intelligent adults.

Posted October 22, 2014

I have 4 children in Caprock and they are thriving. The school works with our family to meet the individual needs of each child through IEP's and testing. My children are learning to be learners and love learning. I feel my children are safe from outside harm and from their peers. I love that the rules are enforced for each child in every class. It helps my children know where the boundaries are. The education and environment are wonderful.

Posted October 10, 2014

My daughter attends Caprock and we love it. The uniforms are great! The teachers are supportive and qualified. The academics are rigorous and children are expected to be responsible for their own actions. The building is nice with appropriate climate control in the summer and winter. My daughter loves getting to utilize canyon view park for P.E. somedays. She also loves the Thursday hot lunch when she gets to eat from noodles & co, jimmy John's etc.

Posted September 25, 2014

We have been happy overall with this school. When we considered what school to send our daughter to, we had a few options, and settled on Caprock. It may not be the "popular" choice, but we put a high value on curriculum and student expectations. We believe homework is important and rules are a part of life. She occasionally complains about not being able to wear crazy colors in her hair or multiple colors on her fingernails, but the big picture is more important than nails and clothing. Even we, as adults, have dress standards for our workplace and would be reprimanded for not being in compliance. We love the small school atmosphere and the fact that when she does begin high school, all of her teachers will know her, not just see a name on a paper. As far as all the bad publicity last year, we all know the media gets the facts wrong all the time, and fails to even get the facts before reporting a story that will get them headlines. It's terrible that people judge the school based on social media stories with a major lack of accuracy. If it wasn't for Caprock, we would most likely be at a private school. No school is perfect, but Caprock has been perfect for our family

Posted August 19, 2014

I couldn't have been more disappointed with this school. The academics are rigorous, which is fine by itself, but God help the kid who needs any kind of extra services. This school certainly isn't there for them and has routinely left these students behind. As for the strict rules, you lay in the bed that you create. When a school wants to adopt a tight-fisted reign over their students, they really can't complain when they make national headlines for seeing the students as recipients of their rulebooks instead as human beings, and more importantly....as children. During the recent controversy over the girl who shaved her head in support over her friend with cancer, there was no 'drama mama' who was behind this as stated by someone else here. It was a school board who wrote rules so inflexible, that students wound up being mere cogs in a machine. They literally created the distractions that they claimed the rules eliminated. Schools don't exist to instruct the kids in being good, empathetic people, a job best done by their families, but when a school shows the opposite by their actions, an environment is created that impacts children in negative ways, socially and scholastically.

Posted August 8, 2014

I love this school. They have felt their fair share of growing pains. It is unfortunate that this school was drug through the mud on the whim of a drama mama. The school could not even speak about the matter because they are not allowed to discuss individual student situations. Had the whole story been able to be told, it would have had a completely different outcome. As for the teachers. They are some of the most dedicated and compassionate out there. There has been a change in the administration that I think will bring some positive change to the school. Resources are tight for schools that don't participate in the local district but this school has done amazing things, even with the constant cuts in educational funding. This school is not for everyone. It is for families who are willing to be involved in their children's education. It is not for families who want to just drop their kids at the door and never think about school again. It IS for parents who want their kids to be in an environment that is safe and caring. It is for families who know that their children are capable of more than what other local schools offer. My suggestion...check it out for yourself.

Posted June 12, 2014

I love this school and my kids have the thrived in Caprock's environment. I was shocked by the negative comments below but I guess there are always the parents searching for something better and will always be unhappy. The teacher's have been warm, knowledgeable and true role models to our children. We couldn't be happier!

Posted May 14, 2014

I am a student of Caprock and unfortunately I must agree with the more negative reviews. Some of the teachers are indeed either over qualified or underqualified to teach at Caprock. The discipline is either get in our nanometer wide line or get out of the school. They are understaffed with some teachers doing three subjects at once or possibly more. I would give it more than two stars but unfortunately the school is definitely lacking in funding, the students have no power but are given the illusion of power, and the rumors of students becoming more rebellious is frighteningly true. In fact next year many students will be transferring to different schools. I can only find a very, very small number of things. but these things are overridden by the harsh discipline, the lack of permanent buildings, the multi tasking teachers, and the obvious disdain the school has for the students. So only two stars can be given, one more than it deserves as a result of it's shameful conduct as a charter school. That star is earned because of the colorful teachers that make this school almost bearable.

Posted April 2, 2014

Pulled my daughter from this school earlier this year. The academics were ok, but the teacher my daughter had in 2nd grade bullied her to the point my daughter would cry on her way home from school everyday. When I went to the headmaster for help, I was told that the teachers disciplinary actions are up to the teachers themselves. This teacher had my daughters desk by itself against a wall and held her in from recess for two weeks. My daughter had to write a letter to me saying she got in trouble for asking another child for her eraser back during "quite writing time". A year earlier, her first grade teacher had me take her to have her hearing checked because my daughters singing was off-key. I feel that between the inadequate teachers and the poor decisions made by the board- this school has a long way to go before it will be considered a decent school in this community.

Posted March 26, 2014

Pulling my child out of this awful school! They sent a child home for shaving her head to support another child with cancer...shame on this school and its staff!!! Shame, shame, shame!

Posted March 25, 2014

As mentioned in other reviews, I also believe that the teachers aren't at fault. Its the board who seem to care more about the bottom line than they do about the kids. Even with the great teachers here, with such a high turnover rate, it's extremely difficult to establish any continuity. My daughter received an okay education during her three years here, it should have been much better.

Posted February 7, 2014

Caprock Academy is filled with dedicated teachers and families. My children have been attending this school for four years and have learned so much about character and leadership. I am astounded regarding the previous comments stating that teachers are not qualified; this is simply not true. I have worked in many of the classrooms and find the learning environment to be positive and structured. The curriculum is exemplary and my children come home from school excited to teach me about what they know. If you are going to consider sending your child to any school, please take the time to do your research. Go to Caprock Academy, spend time in the classrooms, talk to the administrators, learn about the curriculum, and ask questions.

Posted January 13, 2014

A lot of the reviews on here are spot on. Last summer the school did loose a lot of qualified teachers because they pay peanuts . The problem lies with the board of directors who will not do anything to help the school get funding. Caprock is the lowest funded school in the state but still manages to get above state average marks. The school is very disciplined and does wear uniform. This is not recommended for all students. Some reviews state on here that none of the teachers are qualified to teach all I can say to that is that some are over qualified to teach at Caprock . Overall Caprock academy is a great school but unless the board change things they are going to loose more teachers this coming summer

Posted October 6, 2013

At one time this school had great potential. The curriculum taken from a fantastic school in Fort Collins proves to be exceptional. Sadly the execution of the administration and lack of teacher training has over powered the effectiveness of the curriculum. The school does not meet the needs of many of its students, it teaches to the top and the rest are left behind. Students are not provided with the correct research based support they need. If your child struggles in any academic area they should not attend this school, and the school administration will be happy to see you go. The Dean tried to recruit us back, until I mentioned my child had a reading learning disability. His tune changed and he told me he thought it was better my child was somewhere else!

Posted September 27, 2013

First of all I am a student at Caprock and I have been with Caprock since the beginning. I disagree with many parents opinions on here. The reason that the kids need to hurry is because we all only have 45 minute classes. Therefore there is not enough time to be running around and goofing off. The point of the line is to keep things orderly. We have over 700 students at the school that are all changing at various times. Order is needed. As for the parent on here that said our school is liberal...then the school isn't for you. I don't not understand why parents go aroun teaching their children that it is ok to go back and bash a school simply because of a few things you dislike. At Caprock that is very discouraged. Now please. Enough of this it angers me to no end to see people hate on Caprock just because we have different practices.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 55% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 51% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 49% in 2013.

All Students60%

White (not Hispanic)76%
Students without disabilities84%
Neither migrant nor immigrant76%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 26%N/A41%
Male 48%N/A51%
Female 52%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Hungarian
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Special education

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Parents are strongly encouraged to volunteer in the classroom or at the school. the students are required to do 10 hours of community service.
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom