Grand Junction, CO
Students enrolled: 1,572

Posted March 14, 2014
Central High School has the BEST coaches there are! The coaches are amazing,and are willing to help you receive your personal record in whatever sport you want to pr in! Totally recommend central to you,if you play in sports!

Central High School 2

Posted March 14, 2014
I'm only rating this school a two because my child felt comfortable in only 4 classes. This school has an amazing JROTC program that kept my child's heart strong. She was able to improve her writing and singing in the Creative Writing Class and Choir that this school provides. The German class also has an amazing teacher and opportunities. However, the bullying needs to stop here. My child has been called vulgar words, has been pushed down the stairs many times. I pulled her out of this school because of the distractions that she faced in the class rooms and the kids she feared in the hallways. Central High school used to be an amazing and safe school and I'm sure it still could be if the teachers would do something about this.

Central High School 1

Posted February 20, 2012
As a parent of two former students, I can tell you that the performing arts programs are amazing, but the drama department has really gone down hill in the past 3 years. There are still amazing teachers that work hard to teach students all they need to learn if they want to, but it is never forced. The administration is concerned only for how they will look to the public. They will support anything that makes them look good, but if they think it could have a negative outcome for them they will try to sweep it away before it gets to the newspaper. I had two sons that went to CHS and the one who could make the school look good was praised and encouraged, but the other one was not supported even by administration. He was even expelled for a behavior that was part of his disability. Administration even screwed up the paperwork on this disciplinary action and said my son was expelled the day before it happened. If 75%of the administration team could be replaced the school might become what it should be.

Posted April 07, 2010

Central High School 1

Posted April 05, 2010
I would not recommend this school to any parents who wish for their student(s) to excel and value communication. The principal of CHS lowers the bar for students and doesn't care about instilling core values such as building character and responsibility. The primary goal at CHS is to get students their diploma even if this means diminishing the value of the diploma that students are working so hard to achieve. It is extremely difficult for students in school dist. 51 to not receive their diploma. Students would have to work harder not to earn their diploma at CHS rather than actually doing the traditional pathway/work towards graduation. CHS is all about exceeding graduation rates from the previous school year thus inflating these results which devalues the accomplishments of students who really did earn their diploma versus those who really haven't.

Central High School 4

Posted May 14, 2009

Posted September 14, 2007
Central High School may not have the best standardized test scores in this area, but watch out! This school is on the move with innovative ideas in education, a superior administration and support staff, and teachers who are working hard to improve students ability to learn and grow. The teachers at CHS care about their students and work hard to see that they learn and succeed. Ask any one in this area where the best high school administration and teachers are, and it will be Central High School. Many outstanding extracurricular activities and opportunities for students to be involved in this school. Great Speech and Debate team, Art department, Music department, Theater program, sports activities.

Central High School 3

Posted May 30, 2007

Central High School 2

Posted June 12, 2006
- a former student
I graduated from this school five years ago. When I moved to this school I was entering my junior year, and not only was I coming from another city, it seemed like I was coming from another world. The school I had come from was a 5A, award winning school with the highest level of acedemics, sports, and other extra-cirricular activities. While I was there I took all of this for granted. After moving here I realized that I was going into a school that was trying to be something it was not. You can't be a great school without first having a great foundation. Although the last two years of my high school expierence were as easy as pie, I always wonder how much further I would be with the great education I was supposed to recieve.

Posted July 09, 2005
The academic quality of this school is great, students get the attention they need from educated teachers. The music program is spectacular and a rewarded one too! The range in avalibility of sports is one of a kind... They offer everything from football to lacross. The level of parental involement is extremely high, they try to let you 'in' on everything, and try to invole every parent and student.

Central High School
3130 E1/2 Rd, Grand Junction, CO  81504
Last modified Central High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Central High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top