Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Most of the students at Central are drug-free,the new neighborhood Wal-Mart makes it convient for the students to go during lunch time,and most of the students are involved in a sport of some kind. The varsity sports are 5A.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The teachers do not help the kids that actually need it or do not care. They give their lectures and let the kids do what they want.

Amount of homework: Disagree

No proper homework is ever given. They want you to sign up for online classrooms and text reminders and that is it.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

This school does not care about the students. There are maybe a handful that actually do but they don't want to do anything to help students at all, even when they are being bullied.

Horrible school. I have severe depression and anxiety and I still attended school to the best of my abilities. I ended up having to get my doctor to get involved so I can get my schedule readjusted. They said I only attended 2 days of school when I missed maybe twelve days due to my mental illness and having strep. They told me I couldn't get my diploma because I was 17 and that they were withdrawing me because they did not want to accommodate me for my education. The advisory teacher had me leaving in tears because he didn't believe anything I said and believed I was faking it and didn't care about my education. Would not recommend if you wanted to be more than just a number so they can keep the school running.

Central High School has the BEST coaches there are! The coaches are amazing,and are willing to help you receive your personal record in whatever sport you want to pr in! Totally recommend central to you,if you play in sports!

I'm only rating this school a two because my child felt comfortable in only 4 classes. This school has an amazing JROTC program that kept my child's heart strong. She was able to improve her writing and singing in the Creative Writing Class and Choir that this school provides. The German class also has an amazing teacher and opportunities. However, the bullying needs to stop here. My child has been called vulgar words, has been pushed down the stairs many times. I pulled her out of this school because of the distractions that she faced in the class rooms and the kids she feared in the hallways. Central High school used to be an amazing and safe school and I'm sure it still could be if the teachers would do something about this.

As a parent of two former students, I can tell you that the performing arts programs are amazing, but the drama department has really gone down hill in the past 3 years. There are still amazing teachers that work hard to teach students all they need to learn if they want to, but it is never forced. The administration is concerned only for how they will look to the public. They will support anything that makes them look good, but if they think it could have a negative outcome for them they will try to sweep it away before it gets to the newspaper. I had two sons that went to CHS and the one who could make the school look good was praised and encouraged, but the other one was not supported even by administration. He was even expelled for a behavior that was part of his disability. Administration even screwed up the paperwork on this disciplinary action and said my son was expelled the day before it happened. If 75%of the administration team could be replaced the school might become what it should be.

I would not recommend this school to any parents who wish for their student(s) to excel and value communication. The principal of CHS lowers the bar for students and doesn't care about instilling core values such as building character and responsibility. The primary goal at CHS is to get students their diploma even if this means diminishing the value of the diploma that students are working so hard to achieve. It is extremely difficult for students in school dist. 51 to not receive their diploma. Students would have to work harder not to earn their diploma at CHS rather than actually doing the traditional pathway/work towards graduation. CHS is all about exceeding graduation rates from the previous school year thus inflating these results which devalues the accomplishments of students who really did earn their diploma versus those who really haven't.

Central High School may not have the best standardized test scores in this area, but watch out! This school is on the move with innovative ideas in education, a superior administration and support staff, and teachers who are working hard to improve students ability to learn and grow. The teachers at CHS care about their students and work hard to see that they learn and succeed. Ask any one in this area where the best high school administration and teachers are, and it will be Central High School. Many outstanding extracurricular activities and opportunities for students to be involved in this school. Great Speech and Debate team, Art department, Music department, Theater program, sports activities.

Last modified Central High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.