Frontier Charter Academy

Charter | K-12

Posted August 28, 2013

FA is an amazing school that challenges kids to work to the best of their ability. Kids are put in classes with others if their ability. I am in 7th grade (the class of 2018). I am taking Algebra I (ninth grade math) In third grade, I read at the level that high school seniors were expected to test at. Most FA students reach that level by 8-9th grade at least. 25% of the classes are a year ahead in math, but the Special Ed. kids are also greatly helped. Frontier's standard for academic excellence is high. The SAT avg. for the district was 17, for the state 20, and for FA 22. Teachers are required to have had a 95+ in college for their subject. FA's staff are some of the most involved and knowledgeable teachers I know. They have an amazing music and arts program, and you can go to other schools for sports only. Although the elementary could challenge kids a bit more, FA is still amazing.

Posted December 6, 2012

After moving to Colorado, three of my children attended Frontier - Elementary, Middle and HS. My oldest graduated from Frontier. She got the education she needed to be successful in college. My son only attended MS at Frontier and left for HS - for sports. My husband and I agree with the change - for the IB program. Our son was very well prepared for the IB program after his MS years at Frontier, completed the IB program, and now attends a top 20 Liberal Arts College in New York. Our youngest attended Frontier from 4th through 8th, until we moved. When enrolling out of state (in Virginia) they tried to tell us their schools were FAR superior to Colorado & it took a fight to get her in their advanced classes. She's 14 now and I just met with her English teacher who told me that my daughter is reading at a College Freshman level, in 9th grade. Take that Virginia! So, in summary, I'd say that Frontier isn't perfect, but your child can get both an excellent education and they can feel like they are part of a family at Frontier. Frontier is small, but they manage to do a lot with a little.

Posted July 3, 2012

I went to frontier for a while. The elementary and middle school are good but the highschool is the worst!

Posted April 18, 2012

I attended this school k-8 then began a new career at Greeley West. Frontier is a very small school which has pros and cons. Gang affiliation and controlled substances are not near as a problem as any other school. While there is importance to dressing nice the dress code in my opinion as well as most logical peoples' opinions is pretty absurd. The school is strict which again has pros and cons. The bottom line for me regarding FA, is that once I switched schools I experienced a much better staff in education and relation to students, the people you get to interact with at FA is very limited and upon attending Greeley West a much better group was achieved, and finally the projects, field trips, labs are far superior than FA.

Posted February 7, 2010

Frontier Academy is the most amazing school ever! I've gone here since Kindergarten and I wouldn't leave for the world. The teachers are all so amazing and know what they are teaching. The admin people are really good about keeping the values that made my parents put me and my 2 younger brothers in. The students are the greatest kids you will ever meet. Everyone is able to be themselves and the class sizes are small enough that you do know every person in the class. Frontier students are definitely going to be the kids who excel and are totally prepared for college. Because of Frontier's amazingness, I'm know I'm ready for life in the real world! I LOVE FRONTIER!

Posted November 4, 2009

Great place! Teachers who can be your friends. They will stand up to admin when they need to, agree with them and follow the rules when it's appropriate. The students are non-clique-y. We boasted a 103 person Key Club in a 250-300 person school. We have had students receive high marks in AP scores, go to All State and other honor bands, have done very well in athletics, and even have one student who will be playing in Carnagie Hall this summer. For a school who just graduated their 5th ever class, this is pretty spectacular.

Posted April 12, 2009

At Fronier I am very challenged by my teachers, and am expected to show excelence in all my work. Most teachers I have had have been extremely efficiant in what they do. I am very impressed with both language programs as I have taken two years of Spanish and three years of German. The art program is great as it is, but would be much better if it recieved more funding. The only real problem I see with Frontier is the dress code. It is never clear enough, and it is too cold to not be allowed to wear hoodies or coats. Dressing nice is important, but we are still kids. It would be helpful if the dress code would slacken a bit and be more clear for the highschool.

Posted March 23, 2008

This school is ok but honestly I feel like they could be taking care of far more important problems then they are. There are a few exceptional teachers. Overall a decent school

Posted March 15, 2008

Frontier Academy has been the best choice for my child. We were going to homeschool unless he was accepted. My two older girls attended a private school in Greeley, but that was not a choice now for my son as things at that school had deteriorated. We are thrilled with Frontier Academy and now wish this had been our first choice for all of our children. When my son entered the 1st grade behind grade level it took the teacher only a couple days to get him the proper help he needed. Now entering the 4th quarter of the school year he is working above grade level and loves to go to school everyday.

Posted April 8, 2007

Frontier Academy Elementary School is an amazing school! My children have attended Frontier since 1999 and it continues to get better each year. The school is lead by dedicated and compassionate administrators, highly qualified and motivated teachers and a parental support community second to none. The students are expected to achieve at a high level academically. They are offered many extra-curricular activities and there are many events throughout the year that bring the students, parents and teachers together as one community. I cannot say enough good things about this school and recommend it to any parent who wants to be involved in helping their child succeed.

Posted October 31, 2006

I am a graduate of frontier, and I loved every minute I spent there. The school seems to come by amazing teachers that are strict but kind and really care. Herr Byerly, Mrs. Lambrecht, Mr. Horton,and Dr. Madden are my heros and I want to become a teacher because of how caring they were and how they pushed me to become a better student and a better person.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 21, 2006

This is a very good school. I liked the teachers, and the kids had a good experience here.

Posted January 5, 2006

We love the CORE curriculum. The uniforms take some of the stress off the kids and the involvement required of the parent is essential for a successful program. The teacher to student ratio has been fantastic!

Posted August 20, 2005

I love the fact that the children must wear uniforms...WAY TO GO!I hope that never changes.Our children look how every child should look in school.This is school is truly a wonderful school with great people.

Posted July 13, 2005

This school has great academics and sports. The teachers are wonderful and work with the students amazingly well. The choir and band are excellent. Art Program has potential.

Posted July 11, 2005

Frontier Academy is the absolute best educational choice for my children! The staff and administration truly care about the kids! Keep up the great work Frontier!

Posted July 5, 2005

The teachers really care about student welfare and success. The academic program is second-to-none and the liberal arts program is improving. The parental involvement helps to make this school a tremendous success. I would like to see more schools like this one around the state.

Posted April 20, 2005

Not too bad! It's an ok school. Uniforms are a horrible idea and they need more room.

Posted October 15, 2004

I have two children at Frontier and am amazed that after 7 years here we are still just as thrilled about the school as we were the first year. Any new school has bumps in the road, but they have all been handled professionally and the school continues to thrive. The quality of education is wonderful, especially compared to the schools we were in prior to coming to Frontier. When my 1st grader was still learning his colors weeks into the school year, we knew we had to act quickly. We found Frontier, and were fortunate enough to get an opening. We knew we were home. From the academic excellence, improving sports programs, and best of all, the community atmosphere, this school is the cream of the crop.

Posted August 26, 2003

I have a special needs child that attends Frontier Academy. We were told in the district that he would never read above a 2nd grade reading level and to plan on a tech school. After 6 years at Frontier, my son is reading at just below grade average (per CSAP scores) and is making plans for college with the help and encouragement of the staff. His self esteem is lifted daily by the staff, who are willing to take the extra time to figure out what he needs and how to get him where he wants to go. Frontier is the best decision, we could have made for our child.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 55% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 51% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 49% in 2013.

All Students86%

White (not Hispanic)79%
Not eligible for free/reduced price lunch72%
Students without disabilities75%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

3 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Colorado high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 17%N/A41%
Male 51%N/A51%
Female 49%N/A49%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2560 West 29th St