No rating

Beacon Country Day School

Private | PK-8 | 103 students

21st Century education:personalized rigorous academics, Blue Ribbon School

Living in Greenwood...

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $370,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,100.

Posted June 24, 2014

Attending Beacon Country Day School for 10 years was a great experience. Accademically speaking I was fully prepared for high school. I do not think there exists a better family environment than what you will find at Beacon. Every student is known by every teacher and every child receives the attention, care, and patience necessary for them to learn and succeed. Kids learning at slower levels are taken care of by professors staying late and putting in extra hours to bring them up to speed. However, kids who learn at more rapid paces are not hindered by the teachers accommodations because they too are being pushed to take higher level courses that will challenge them. For example, at my time at beacon I never once had math class with kids in my actual grade because Beacon allowed me to take math classes with kids in higher grades so that I could learn at my own accelerated pace and continue to be pushed to learn more. Despite Beacon's small size I truely believe it is one of the best high school prepatory schools in Colorado and I will definitely consider sending my own kids there when that time comes.

Posted June 23, 2014

I enrolled my granddaughter in Beacon Country School mid year because she started crying on the way to her other preschool every morning! I toured Beacon and fell in love with the school. My granddaughter ended up being gifted and needed more of a challenge. This school changed all of our lives because she was more able to have interesting conversations and because she was so fulfilled!

Posted June 23, 2014

Beacon did a fantastic job with my sons, they are doing very well in high school and college. I was at the school for 14+ years and can say they really know what they are doing. It was good to leave the teaching to the professionals, so I could concentrate on what I know best. I especially liked their philosophy of teaching each topic at the level best suited to the child. They focus totally on the needs of the child, who always comes first. They provide a very nurturing environment and the kids do the best they can possibly do in any school anywhere. I would highly recommend them and would be glad to talk with anyone about the school. They have a very good middle school, which was a big plus for us and really know how to select and retain excellent teachers.

Posted June 23, 2014

My son just graduated from college. He still believes that Beacon gave him the step-up to perform well in high school and college. I wanted to give something back to the school so I decided to volunteer some time at the school. I had a chance to see the children at play and study. It brought me back to my son's experience. My favorite memory of Beacon was how happy the children were while at school. I always credited it to the openess and security they felt while at Beacon. There were no bullies. I was also very relieved how different his experience was in their middle school. When compared to my friends' children it sounded like a sanctuary. Educationally, children were always motivated to broaden their horizons. There were science and art fairs, debating contests for the upper levels, weekend field trips to places like science camp, Global Awareness Week where adults from other countries described their childhoods, speakers from different local community groups (e.g. Denver Zoo) and much more. Beacon was not simply instructional, something they did very well, it was a key to the lock of things to come. If I am an example, the parents were and stll are commited to it.

Posted June 23, 2014

My child has been at Beacon for four years, and everyday I am grateful and pleased we are part of the Beacon Family. From the specialized educational needs given for each individual child, the safe and caring environment provided for the students, to the knowledge, professionalism and enthusiasm by which the faculty delivers not only educational material, but also encourages behavioral development focusing on the overall development of the child, I will be forever indebted. Beacon is an accelerated school, and as such they have an advanced curriculum, with a focus on preparedness. Recognition IS given to all children for making good choices, where they are praised thereby reinforcing positive behavior. Negative behavior is redirected and faculty works together with parents and the Wallaces to address and correct. The Wallace's bring decades of education and developmental excellence to Beacon, along with a genuine caring for each of the students and their families. I am a firm believer in "you get out what you put in", and with Beacon, the Wallace's put so much of themselves into this wonderful school.

Posted May 4, 2014

Beacon drills the children with test strategies. The school has a large amount of children with speech problems, and the lower level teachers provide a great deal of negative attention, mostly forgetting to incentivize those children who are quiet and in need of positive attention to reveal their aptitudes. It is a provincial school run by the Wallace family, where teachers give privileges to their children in the school. The upper levels have very small classrooms which do not seem to provide any diversity of challenge. A year around open enrollment creates a climate of change. It is a good place for children whose parents are strict. BYW, very little parent engagement. Get ready to be in a small town suburban culture at Beacon!

Posted October 23, 2013

Joining the Beacon family has been such a positive experience for us! Now into our second year, we have three kids enrolled and each classroom they have been in has been staffed by bright, caring and engaging teachers. They have mastered the art of differentiation, allowing our children to work at their pace, and progress academically in specific subjects while nurturing their emotional development as well. Beacon is not your typical private school with the shiny exterior and brand new decor, but what you get on the inside is priceless. Having come from another local private school, we couldn't be happier with the way our kids are valued and nurtured at Beacon!

Posted October 20, 2013

Beacon provides a very strong, personalized, curriculum for its students. Our child was given the opportunity to work with students in the next grade level in areas where he excelled, allowing him to remain challenged. The smaller class sizes allow teachers to work with students individually in determining appropriate lesson materials. The rigor of the curriculum and expectation of the teachers and adminstrators far exceeds what is provided to children in the Cherry Creek School District. We are very happy that we made the switch to Beacon midway through our child's elementary eduction and are thrilled that he has a school for the next many years that is comfortable for him, challenging for him, and making him excited about attending school.

Posted October 18, 2013

This school has been wonderful for my child--small class size, so easy to the teachers (no appointment needed!). After a year at a public Douglas county school my child was a year behind in reading despite my concern expressed to the teacher. BCDS diagnosed the problem immediately and she is reading years above grade level now.

Posted October 18, 2013

One of very best schools! Great teachers, solid curriculum and wonderful environment for any child to grow.

Posted October 7, 2013

Beacon has a great environment for children to learn at their own pace. It also has loving teachers who care about the success of each individual student.

Posted September 27, 2013

BCDS has revolutionized our family's life. My child said last night, "Dad, I love school nights." When asked why, he responded, "Because I know I get to wake up and go to school in the morning." I used to cringe when the phone would ring, because my child had so many episodes of "upset tummy", needs to come home from school, hates school, crying at school. And it's not that BCDS has lax standards- my kids are coming home exhausted- they are working HARD! Even having spent years in the "best" Denver area school district can't compare to the education you can get here. Our teachers are well prepared, education plans are truly individualized (it's not lip-service) and guess what? , there isn't any teaching to a test! Parents are welcomed here, and the kids are taught real empathy, not just and empty anti-bullying program. What more could you want? If you visit, you may notice that it is not as shiny and new as other fancy prep schools (or even other public schools). But take a close look at our kids faces, and listen to what they say. I bring my children here for their benefit , and I'm totally confident that this is absolutely the best place in the world for them.

Posted March 13, 2012

Beacon is what it is first because of the faculty. They are fantastic. They are highly skilled, caring and devoted people. Not just at presenting material to kids, but in focusing on the individual child and what their specific needs are. They respect each other, and they respect the children. I could use all 1200 available characters telling you how wonderful they are. However, I'd like to brag on the kids for a minute. The kids that attend Beacon are also wonderful. Accepting, respectful, they have a desire to learn. Does everyone always behave perfectly...of course not. But the kids take responsibility in helping each other learn social skills. They are being taught effective ways to deal with their peers when stuff comes up and it is not just stuff the teachers preach at them. The kids actually practice, they help each other, they encourage better behavior. The cool kid isn't the one breaking the rules and getting trouble, the cool kid is the one who is striving hard to make themselves and the world they live in a better place. Beacon is one of the most comfortable places I have ever been and is one of my favorite places to be.

Posted October 14, 2011

We sent our son to Beacon's preschool program based on the reputation and reviews by parents in prior years. Unfortunately, our experience echoed that of a prior reviewer who mentioned that class size was supposed to be limited to 10 and quickly topped 20. As a result, our child did not receive the level of individualized attention we expected, and frankly, paid a premium for. With that said his preschool teacher, Linda Leslie, was wonderful, and celsrly tried her best given the number of students she was asked to carry. As the earlier reviewer mentioned, one of the junior kindergarten teachers was assigned to the class as well but I found he was quite detached and often did not know the days lesson plan or how the children were progressing. I was most disappointed with the after school program. If the Esther was nice the children played on the playground. In colder weather - the majority of the school year - children of all ages were crowded into a single classroom where the "teacher" assigned to them would turn on a television and then read a book or p,ay on the computer. Hardly a stimulating environment for gifted children.

Posted October 12, 2011

We visited several schools in the Denver area by far had the best experience at Beacon. The faculty, staff, parents and students were all very welcoming. This is my son s second year, he loves it! Not only does he always want to go to school, he never wants to leave! And best of all he is truly learning.

Posted September 21, 2011

This an absolutely wonderful school. The staff is amazing. The environment is loving and family orientated. The education is top notch. We could not have asked for a better school.

Posted September 21, 2011

Once you open the door, you will feel warmth and love from everybody . My daughter has been at Beacon for nearly four years now and we could not be happier. She is learning s0 much not only on the academic level but also on the social and emotional level. Beacon is just the best of the best!

Posted September 21, 2011

My kids have been at Beacon for nearly 8 years now, four in total, and I wouldn't change a thing. My kids have learned so much both on the academic level and the social level, I could not be more pleased with it if I tried. The teachers are terrific and the individual attention spent with each child is a god-send. There is not a kid at Beacon who isn't loved, taught, and respected by everyone there. The best part about Beacon is the fact that it just gets better and better from one grade to the next. The teachers just get stronger and stronger as the kids get older and smarter. From before school to after school the school is run professionally and responsibly and I have never been disappointed.

Posted September 11, 2011

As a former student, I hope the positive reviews for this school mean that they've improved since I attended in the nineties. Rather than being aimed explicitly at the gifted and talented, the school seemed to admit all the kids who didn't quite fit in at public schools and whose parents could pay the tuition each month. The pace matched that of the slowest student in the class, making it very frustrating for the children who had gotten the concept and were ready to move on. Because classes frequently ran over, there was little time to do work in class, leaving an amount of homework that surpassed anything I had to complete in high school, college, or graduate school. Since the staff took the concept of No Child Left Behind very literally years before the concept came about, students who started in 1st grade could expect to take French 1--the exact same class, with the exact same textbook--for eight years straight. When I finally did attend a public high school, I felt ill-prepared compared to my strictly public-school educated classmates. For parents in the Cherry Creek school district, I recommend keeping your kids there. They'll be more socially and academically adept in life.

Posted August 31, 2011

My child attended Beacon for preschool, and I must say that his preschool teacher was fabulous and I was impressed with what the kids learned during school hours. However, we were disappointed with the class size (we were told it would be around 10 students but it ended up being over 20 students). This left less opportunity for individualized instruction, and the teacher, while she did have a helper, seemed overwhelmed by the class size. In addition, we were very disappointed in the after-school program, which were run by teachers in other grade levels. During the after-school program, rather than engage the students, these teachers turned on television for the children while they themselves surfed the internet. (And needless to say we were concerned that these particular teachers would be our son's classroom teachers in future years at the school) Furthermore, the school's administration seemed disorganized - for instance, they quite often lost our paperwork or checks. Overall, I would say this is a pretty good school, but not necessarily worth the money compared to a high quality public school.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • Cynthia A. Wallace, Ph.D., J.D.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Ecclectic Curricula
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Hybrid
  • Multi-aged
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club
  • Geography club
  • Green Committee
  • Student council/government

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

4 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year
Students typically come from these schools
Creme de la Creme

Financial aid offered
School-based aid
Outside scholarships

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Regis Jesuit High School