Greenwood Village, CO
Students enrolled: 3,453

Cherry Creek High School 3

Posted March 23, 2014
Extremely committed teachers, who truly care about their student's success! Challenging courses,amazing facilities (5 Gymnasiums, Baseball Diamond, Stadium, etc. etc!). Into Athletics? No Problem, over 20 sports (eg, CCHS has won every tennis state title since 1971!) . Into Debate? MUN? Drama? Creek has over 200 clubs for everyone. Basically, people from any background, with any interest, and any academic level can be the best at this school in terms of academic/extracurriculars. The campus is astounding, being an architecturally beautiful campus of 100 acres, emphasis on nature! However, where the negative comes in is the elitism and social structure. Students are incredibly wealthy, and like to flaunt it through their numerous cliques- and I first-hand witnessed awful social discrimination and exclusion towards students of low income background. Minorities will never really fit in at this school, and there is a very detrimental drug culture (including hard drugs- due to the wealth cited above). The extreme affluence is what seems to ruin the culture of learning, and the powerful pros of academic and athletic opportunity must be weighed against the destructive social environment

Cherry Creek High School 1

Posted March 15, 2014
My child is a recent graduate of Cherry Creek and I volunteered in one of the associations he was involved . I agree with the parent who cited the general social discrimination with a huge clique and drug problem. I saw it first hand. We choose this high school for the Chinese program. As a low income family very little assistance was ever offered, even when we asked and knew programs were available. We could not afford several of the field trips and my child was outcast due to this. Due to my child's determination he did graduate in the top 2% of his class and now attends and Ivy. There were several great teachers who inspired him but just as many who were little assistance due to our "social status". The first counselor he had was worthless since we were low income. He had a new counselor his senior year who made a huge difference . The school is superficial (including many teachers who pander to the wealthy), and only now , that my child is at a top university, is he telling all of the times he was discriminated by staff for being low income.

Cherry Creek High School 2

Posted March 14, 2014
In terms of academic/athletic excellence and opportunity- CCHS is as superb of a school as can be plausibly found. Facilities and campus are simply stunning, and the choice available to students in terms of classes, sports, and clubs is simply unmatched in the entire state of Colorado. HOWEVER, in terms of social structure , Cherry Creek represents elitism at its ugliest. Taking into account that its area is the 6th richest in the entire United States of America, there is little acceptance to be found and general social discrimination with a huge clique and drug problem. It is an amazing school if one is accepted well and quickly, but any that do not fit the cookie cutter model will find themselves ousted (socially) after some time. Would recommend this school to any that are willing to sacrifice their morals and personalities to fulfill and be exposed to the astounding opportunities and committed teaching staff.

Posted October 19, 2013
Cherry Creek is a TERRIFIC school if your child is generally a confident, responsible, mature person. Cherry Creek also seems to be working on improving its services for less mature, or less motivated kids. Great teachers and a terrific variety of classes and extracurricular options, in our experience!

Posted July 28, 2013
Both of our kids went to school here and they both loved it. We are middle class, not rich. There are plenty of academic opportunities and extracurricular activities.

Posted August 09, 2012
As a former student at CCHS, I can truly say that having a diploma from this high school has prepared me more for college than many other high schools in Colorado and the nation. Cherry Creek offers a challanging and rewarding environment where any student can succeed if they put the effort in. The teachers are some of the finest around and truly care about the success of their students. As for preparing students for college, it quickly becomes apparent that going to CCHS isn't the same as other high schools. Naive freshman soon mature into responsible young adults as they are exposed to a more collegiate-type environment, including off-campus privledges, choosing their own classes, and overall more freedom. The only negative about CCHS is that unless you are very skilled in a specific sport, don't plan on making it onto any of the cut teams. CCHS takes their sports very seriously and therefore are very selective. I am honored to be able to say that I attended one of the best high schools in the country. Students not only recieve an excellent education, but will make lasting friendships and learn invaluable lessons during their time at Cherry Creek High School.

Posted July 29, 2012
Cherry Creek provides a competive environment, thus gets results. Unfortunately the long term principal retired, and the new one is less than excellent.

Posted December 15, 2011
I'm a former student of Cherry Creek High School, graduating class of 2011! I have to say, I love the place, it's one of the best high schools all around in sports and academic wise. Everyone loves one another and everyone gets along! The teachers are amazing! Best four years of my life :)

Posted May 31, 2011
I am an alumni of Cherry Creek, I could not have asked for a better high school experience. People are quick to judge those of us who went to Creek and like to think we are all wealthy and snooty individuals, but that is simply not true, we are just like any other high school with people from low income families to kids from local celebrities. And like in any other school, you will find it is hard to fit in or enjoy school if you are not involved. Creek is a very spirited school, the students, teachers, staff and parents all take pride in our school from our excellence in sports and academics to the safety and cleanliness our campus provides. People who attended Creek that say they hated it, only hated it because they did not get involved in high school activities. I was personally apart of the theatre, I always went to every school dance, I went to the homecoming pep rally's and football games, and was a part of a few clubs, which there are over 100! I have been given job opportunities just because I went to Creek, people not only in the Colorado community know that Creek is an excellent school and you must be a driven and outgoing person to have succeeded. A+ School (Blue Ribbon)

Posted May 18, 2011
Cherry Creek is outstanding for a student with enough maturity to want the superior, academic challenge it offers. Do not expect to be coddled here. The college-bound students are highly competitive, like at many of the universities they aspire to attend. The student body is diverse, representing various countries and cultures. The school demands excellence from its student body, expecting that most students are preparing for college. Athletics are highly competitive, some of which consistently win top honors in the state. Emotionally independent, self-directed students will find this environment rich with opportunity and ready to match a thirst for knowledge and enrichment. Alumni say transition to college was easy after attending CCHS. Still, under-motivated students can survive here anonymously in the sheer size of the student body. My daughter is a minority, immigrant student who thrived academically because she took the many opportunities for extra support. Social life here can admittedly be challenging, however, because of its economic bias. Plan to make friends at your church, in your neighborhood, at work, in clubs, but not here, and just absorb the education.

Cherry Creek High School
9300 East Union Ave, Greenwood Village, CO  80111
(720) 554-2000
Last modified Cherry Creek High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cherry Creek High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 104 reviews. Top