High Plains Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted March 20, 2014

We have loved High Plains. The staff and teachers are excellent. They genuinely care for each student and take the time necessary to make them feel special.

Posted October 24, 2013

High Plains is one the best schools around. The staff is caring and intelligent and the school remains current with curriculum updates. We love it there. My kids are excited about going to school and I feel they are getting a top notch education. My kids are happy and well rounded--what more can I ask for?

Posted October 24, 2013

We moved to the High Plains neighborhood 3 years ago and could not be happier! High Plains is a wonderful school! The teachers are caring, supportive, and always work hard to meet the needs of all of their students.

Posted October 24, 2013

This is such a wonderful, caring school. We are so happy with our decision to send our kids to the neighborhood school!

Posted October 24, 2013

We love High Plains. It is a great school community with wonderful staff and parents. There is a wide variety of diversity at the school, many extracurricular activities that are offered, and a common theme of "students first" among both staff and parents.

Posted October 24, 2013

High Plains Elementary has a tremendous, caring staff. They all are so good about tapping into each childs individual creativity and allow kids to soar with their learning. The kids are so kind to one another and parents are very involved. It's a great place to be!

Posted September 12, 2013

We moved here when my son was in kindergarten and daughter was in 2nd grade. We were very pleased with High Plains Elementary School's warm and caring teachers and staff. There are also always many volunteer parents. Our children thrived at this school and are both doing incredibly well in school which I credit in part to the great foundation that High Plains provides. The school district provides bullying education throughout the district and it is amazing how the kids treat each other. They have a "Caring and Kindness" award for each class which my daughter was excited to be awarded. I'm wondering if there are ulterior motives of another post since being a weekly volunteer at the school I did not witness anything but kindness and respect between students and between students and staff. My children still like to go back and visit their elementary teachers.

Posted August 22, 2013

Great school! The last review is inaccurate! I Wanted to clear up something from the most recent review, which appeared to be written by a student who was there 7 or 8 years ago. My kids have been there for six years and nothing in that review strikes me as even remotely accurate today. The school is fantastic! By and large, my kids have had really positive experiences at the school. They have performed very well in their classes, found much of the work challenging and made great friends. The teachers, staff and principal have all been very accessible and engaged and always willing to take input and suggestions. I have never seen any evidence of bullying or favoritism. The diversity at the school is great because kids see that not everyone looks like them or has the same background. The parents are really involved, but there is no pressure on working parents to be as involved or constantly fundraise. The gifted and talented teacher has also been really helpful in creating additional challenges for kids that need it. I would absolutely recommend the school!

Posted March 21, 2013

High plains is a terrible school. Bullies are rampant in both the children and faculty, teachers actively crush being creative and different, and to top it off the parents are just as bad as the teachers and kids. As a former student I would come home in tears every single day. Bully proofing is a joke at best and the teachers play favorites based on who has the nicest clothes and richest parents. Even without the monstrous staff and student body the school is less than stellar. Children are expected to sit in their desks and do worksheets like mindless robots. Overall as a student who went there I was miserable to the point of being suicidal. Your children probably will be very unhappy too. So do your kids a favor and send them somewhere else. Please. A former student now in senior year at high school

Posted January 30, 2013

We moved to this area specifically for the great schools. After touring Cottonwood, Cherry Creek Academy and Belleview, we loved the atmosphere at High Plains. The principal is wonderful, friendly, approachable and seems to really be moving the school forward. They have fantastic parent involvement, which they take advantage to enhance the children's education. I personally feel they do a good job at meeting the children's different level of abilities, the children who are a little a head are pulled out to meet their needs and given work that is tailored to their ability. If I had a complaint (coming from a parent with gifted children) it is that they focus a little too much on those children who are a little behind. However, I do understand that is necessary. I like the diversity of the school, it seems they are a little more diverse than other schools in this area, both ethnically as well as economically. In short, we are extremely happy here and can't say enough about the staff, from the principal and teachers to the admin. staff.

Posted December 20, 2012

My daughter has attended High Plains the past 3 years and has really blossomed there. She has been challenged and has had so many opportunities to explore art, science, athletics, and music. The music teacher is incredible and I am always impressed by the choir and band concerts. The opportunity to perform has really boosted my daughter's confidence. The administration and staff are very involved and promote a healthy atmosphere. I also like that the school is in a residential neighborhood (not a large school complex) which makes it laid back and friendly. I disagree with comments that this is a "richy-rich" school. My daughter wears clothes from Target and no one has teased her about it. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted March 1, 2012

Awesome school! Awesome teachers and awesome staff! My daughter had to repeat a grade this year and she struggled at her old school. Since attending High Plains her growth has surprised everyone. The teachers really care about their students and are extremely positive with the kids. This school has exceeded all expectations I had.

Posted September 1, 2011

The teachers are great at High Plains. Most of them really care about the students. Leadership is not innovative, doesn't look for ways to improve the school for the students, just trying to be non-controversial. The atmosphere is not positive. Students are segregated openly based on their perceived academic ability. There is little support for an average student. They are typically the forgotten student as most of the focus is on children with special needs and those designated as G& T (gifted and talented). Bullying is pervasive on the playground. Parents may comment they haven't seen it, but most have and considering there was an incident in 2010 that was televised, can they really continue to be in denial? There is decent parent involvement. Seems to be the same parents all the time. There is definitely favoritism toward the parents who have the time to volunteer- no job or part time jobs. All schools have positives and negatives, all in all, I would rate this school average.

Posted January 6, 2011

I would highly recommend High Plains. It is a great elementary school for children with a wide range of abilities, interests, and learning styles. The parent/teacher/staff community is welcoming and very active. The school leadership is strong. The school is well run, consistent, and first rate. I have had 3 children attend High Plains. My oldest started in 1999 and is now a Junior at Creek. My second child attends Campus. My youngest is currently in 4th grade. We've seen many changes at HP in the last decade. The school remodel is wonderful. The English as a 2nd Language program is good. Children are quickly integrated into the school.

Posted January 4, 2011

I have 2 children at High Plains and we have had nothing but wonderful experiences there. The environment is very welcoming. The teachers are excellent and the curriculum is designed to meet the needs of the different levels of learners. My children have never been teased or bullied at school.

Posted November 26, 2010

We moved from Massachusetts to Colorado this year and spent alot of time chosing a home in the Cerry Creek District. We had high recommendations for High Plains and they have not disappointed. When we came to Colorado in the spring for house hunting we called the school and we were immediately welcomed in for a visit - they accomodated us on VERY short notice during a holiday week and while they were busy getting the school ready for end of year and renovation. The guide spent over an hour with us on a tour and we got to meet many of the staff and the principal. They made our son feel immediately at home and very welcomed, and allowed him to ask as many questuions as he wanted. When he started school he was welcomed by his classmates and his teacher made a special effort to ensure he had the opportunity to make friends and watched him closely for the first few weeks to ensure he made a smooth transition. We feel he has been challenged by the curriculum and is very well attended to by all of his teachers. We get sufficient of feedback on his progress and the teachers are open and welcome to discussing anyconcerns or needs we may have at any time.

Posted October 16, 2010

High Plains was had a very negative atmosphere. Kids are expected to sit quietly and complete worksheets. Creativity is crushed and replaced with a seatwork. Worst of all, the teachers and administrators play favorites. If your are a demanding parent they give you and your child what you demand. Nice children and parents are ignored or bullied. The joy and positive energy found in most elementary schools is missing at this one. We moved our children and they now enjoy school.

Posted October 16, 2010

I attended HP a few years ago, and from many sources it still sounds about the same. Good test scores, great playground (which is really all that kids care about), but terrible kids and parenting! I came from a slightly "poorer" family than most of the children. i didnt have the money to buy designer clothes, which was the extent of our "poverty". Yet, i was teased constantly by peers, and parents treated me like a charity case! My youngest cousins currently go there, and they are also teased. I would not recomend this school to anyone. My parents ended up transferrind me. My aunt is also planning on trannfering her children. Teachers did nothing to prevent bullying, some even helped the bullies. And they have done nothing to help my two cousins. HP has good test scores, but is home to many bullies and teachers who wont help prevent it.

Posted August 17, 2010

All my kids went to High Plains. Love the teachers, love the staff, love the school but the kids are horrific. If your kids don't come to school wearing designer clothes and have $100 haircuts they will be made fun of, teased and bullied. They were forming cliques by the 1st grade. Lots of emphasis put on how you look and how popular you are. This is a richey school with most of the families being upper income which isn't necessarily a good thing. But, I have to add... the principal and teachers were on top of any bullying going on at the school and always ended up resolving the situation immediately.

Posted June 10, 2010

Unlike most comments pertaining to this school, I have found it to be an overall frustrating and negative atmosphere. The teachers are critical of young children and negative with feedback (if you recieve any feedback at all). I would not recommend this school to others, nor would I condone fostering this type of environment for impressionable children.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

All Students97%

Students without disabilities86%
Proficient in English82%
Neither migrant nor immigrant79%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 20%N/A41%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6100 South Fulton St