Highlands Ranch, CO

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Copper Mesa was awarded the Governor's Distinguished Improvement Award again this year! We've received this award since 2010. It is our collaborative partnership between school and home and enables us to create successful learning experiences for our students. Way to go Copper Mesa Cougars!
February 4, 2015

Posted February 16, 2015
As others have stated for years about this school, it has a serious problem with flat out intentional rudeness by some of the front office staff. Very unprofessional. The school has a new principal and she said the parents have no say about it and then becomes hostile against those who voice concern. The staff does have one redeeming person usually nice so some positive posts expected.

Posted February 16, 2015
The front office is rude to parents. The principal is engaging in the unprofessional behavior as well. Unfortunately we have staff and parents who have created cliques you have to belong to or you are "out" and treated poorly. This behavior is passed along to the children. There is more focus on protecting the staff from criticism than on meeting parent and children's needs. Families in the neighbor choose other schools as nothing is being done to stop this although Douglas County school directors have been informed and shared multiple such stories. There are some good teachers at the school if you can ignore the staff.

Posted December 24, 2014
I am a parent and have been at Copper Mesa since it opened, ten years ago. It has been through different changes, but the staff is amazing and always remains professional even through all of the challenges that are thrown at them from the district. I have three kids that go to CME and feel safe and love going each day. The office treats them like family and reaches out to them like they are they own children when they are sick or hurt. Copper Mesa is an amazing school. What a great place to start my children's educational path. Thank you CME for all that you do!

Posted September 26, 2013
I love our school and we have had exceptional teachers. Plus I am happy to be part of my neighborhood school. The teachers do an excellent job working with the children on life skills, building friendships and fostering growth and independence. Proud to be at CME!

Posted September 26, 2013
We've only been part of this school community for a few weeks, but are so happy to be here! The teachers and staff have been wonderful in getting my kids situated and integrated into the community. I'm very happy we found this school.

Posted April 25, 2013
I think the front desk staff is rude and also think volunteering is not recognized at Copper Mesa. It's our neigborhood school so that's why we're here. I'm also noticing that the teachers are not very supportive of the life skills they say they stand by. There is so much pushing, name calling, teasing, that is allowed to go on. A lack of respect for friendships. As the parent of a second grader, they need coaching on how to make/keep friends and this isn't happening. I'm wondering what charter school you now attend? We are looking into it.
4 people found this helpful

Posted August 17, 2012
This is what all elementary schools should strive to be. Copper Mesa has produced great results for my two children. The teachers have been fantastic! The principal is a great leader but very approachable and accessible. Communication between the school and parents is continuous and comprehensive. Our two children, while not brilliant, are somewhat ahead of grade level. In all cases, the teachers have done a great job customizing the experience for our kids to keep them challenged and growing. I also love the feeling of community that exists at this school. With no bus service and such a small boundary area, parents often walk to school and meet each other. Each year, the school has a dad s day. I marvel at the number (must be 350 men) of fathers that come to the school that day. I have a great deal of confidence sending my children to this school each day. -Proud Copper Mesa Father

Posted April 26, 2012
We LOVE Copper Mesa! The Teachers are wonderful and really care about "teaching". Our daughter is in First Grade but we have neighbors that are older and they are all very happy as well.

Posted March 18, 2012
Copper Mesa is a fantastic school that offers a great education to my children. The teachers care about the students, parents are appreciated, and the principal is very hands on. I would recommend this school to anyone!

Posted August 26, 2011
This school is mediocre at best. We attended for Kindergarten and First Grade and have since switched to a charter school. It is so nice to now go to a school where they appreciate parent volunteers. The front desk staff were flat out rude.
4 people found this helpful

Copper Mesa Elementary School
3501 Poston Parkway, Highlands Ranch, CO  80126
Last modified Copper Mesa Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Copper Mesa Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top