School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Copper Mesa was awarded the Governor's Distinguished Improvement Award again this year! We've received this award since 2010. It is our collaborative partnership between school and home and enables us to create successful learning experiences for our students. Way to go Copper Mesa Cougars!
February 04, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

As others have stated for years about this school, it has a serious problem with flat out intentional rudeness by some of the front office staff. Very unprofessional. The school has a new principal and she said the parents have no say about it and then becomes hostile against those who voice concern. The staff does have one redeeming person usually nice so some positive posts expected.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

Much favortism here depending on who the parent is.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

My diligent perfectionist was rushed and punished for not being faster. He wasn't learning to write well and was given no time for decent penmenship or for individual creativity. He felt his stern teacher hated him and she would send him to the office where he would call me crying. Then she would yell at him for that to me in front of him. I had to pull him out to homeschool him where I saw great improvement.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

It is appalling. The parents attempt to run the school as stay at home moms find it there place to run the school and the administration remains angry and disgruntled and quit between dealing with them and the school board.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Mostly they sought to beat individuality out of children and belittle one for unique qualities and give little room for a child to shine.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

My kids had several "mean" teachers that yelled at kids. One emailed me daily about stupid little stuff she couldnt control in her classroom. One refused to let my child go to the bathroom forcing him to wet himself. Most couldnt handle kids that didnt fit a mold they needed them to.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Homework was so far below my kids needs.

I have a child in half day kinder this year and he is thriving and learning so much. He begs me every day to let him go to school all day because he loves school. I know this is a reflection of the teacher helping him find a love for learning. He raves about the PE teacher and the librarian too. He even tells me the lunchroom lady is nice to him and helps him when he buys lunch. I am so happy to be at Copper Mesa.

We have had our share of good and bad at CME. The 1/2 kindergarten teacher is getting worse every year. No one will address the issue because the school can't keep administration for more than 1/2 a year! If you are looking at kindergarten, make sure you get the full day class. Preschool, and 1st, and 2nd were amazing. There are many happy, hardworking teachers here who are wonderful! CME just needs a principle to match! Once that happens, I am sure they will clean up the people that are there for the benefits and paycheck. The sense of community is great, people walk, and parents are volunteering all day, everyday.

I have the privilege of serving as a Sr. Community Member on the SAC. This second time around allows me to appreciate those who served as Sr. members when my kids were in school in a nearby district. I have observed an amazing staff, parent group and principal all working together- all for the main point benefit central to the kids.. I know for a fact that most schools have difficulty recruiting parents and community to fill in where district and state cannot. The Copper Mesa SAC and CMEA also work closely together. Realizing that all kids are uniquely created, CME does a fabulous job of placing and serving kids to best meet their needs within the allotted/restricted budget and grade level requirements. It is refreshing to be in a community of such caring people and have a 'positive vision' some of our next generation!

Last modified Copper Mesa Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.