School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

STEM School and Academy provides an enriched academic program for highly motivated students. Almost 25% are identified gifted. We offer weekly tours to provide parents with a clear understanding of our program. Visit our website for tour dates and more information. No testing required for admission. Our lottery is conducted in January for the following year. Contact our registrar for admission information if applying after January. Our faculty, staff, students and parents have created a very special place to learn and grow. Watch our video uploaded on our website to see what students and teachers are saying about their school.
June 01, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)

STEM High and Academy 5

Posted November 05, 2015
It is unbelievable to have my 9th grader come home every single day telling me how great it was.. in detail! He even raves about language arts, previously "hated" in middle school. "I finally have teachers who know more than I do" he says. Even better he takes full responsibility for his success or failure and for homework. Best school ever. I don't know what we would have done without it.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted September 28, 2015
The teachers are all highly qualified, great teachers. One of our technology teachers is a former employee of Microsoft, while one of our engineering teachers has about 10 years experience. Even one of our MUSIC teachers has a doctorate!

Develops grit: Agree

Posted September 28, 2015
Everyone is different. Some people burn out due to how challenging the school is. Others learn to adapt and efficiently manage their work, which is a great skill to have. It all really depends on one's work ethic.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted September 28, 2015
Yes. Teachers give students the ability to venture on there own path. Students have a TON of choice in this school.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted September 28, 2015
Mostly everyone here is a nerd. Now this doesn't mean we don't have social skills. All this means is that we don't try to be "cool" here at STEM, so everyone naturally fits in. There are a few exceptions of course, but they are mostly shunned out of the social circles (groups of friends) here at STEM. There is no real social hierarchy, everyone is pretty much on the same level.

STEM High and Academy 5

Posted September 28, 2015
tl;dr If you are looking for a modern, unorthodox elementary/middle/high school, you can't get better than STEM High, which boasts great teachers and great education philosophy, however it does lack sports programs, although it is trying to improve. --- I'm a 9th grade student that goes to STEM --- Honestly, the former teacher's review is highly inaccurate. Obviously, they have a very different viewpoint from what we do here at STEM. This is an unorthodox school- almost all of our work is project-based, as it gives us a better real-world understanding and increases collaboration between students. It's a great school in all STEM areas. We have a bigger budget than most other schools, allowing us to get all the cool new technology, from 3D printers to CNC mills. The only thing I think we lack is an adequate sports program, although the school is taking steps in the right direction to address that, as more sports clubs open up. The work in general is much harder and challenging than you may expect, but on the other side, it is much more rewarding. Students who are more advanced in a topic are allowed to venture on their own path, and this is especially true in the Technology department. STEM also has a great community- there are little to no bullies, and everyone generally gets along with each other. There isn't any social hierarchy either, the school is mainly split up into different circles of friends, all at the same social "level". You'll feel welcomed going to STEM. The teachers are amazing. Each and every one of them are fully qualified to teach their subjects. Because of this, there are little to none "read this chapter, then do that worksheet for the rest of class" assignments. I've been here since 6th grade (as of now, I'm in 9th), and my opinion hasn't changed since the first day of school. This is an awesome, unorthodox, modern school that really sets you up for an awesome future.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted September 28, 2015
Yes. There is a LOT of homework at this school. But this is not a school for slackers. In fact, I should actually get back to doing that homework, and not writing this review.

STEM High and Academy 1

Posted August 26, 2015
As a former teacher, this school doesn't allow teachers to teach children in a positive way. It's all projects or nothing. I wanted to branch out and create a fun and exciting learning experience only to be told that I didn't understand the STEM's policies. However, not once while I worked there was I told what those were. I even had a mentor that only gave negative feedback. Not once did she offer guidance about teaching STEM's way. I constantly felt like I was letting the children down because I wasn't allowed to teach true subject matter. My recommendation is that this school be shut down. It's worthless and decreases the students readiness for college.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted May 31, 2015
Yes this school is so so hard and has so so many very smart kids that you have to give 110% to make it. So hard work you will make it.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted May 31, 2015
yes the student do respect the other students bc they have to work on project together in every class and they don't pick there partners the teacher mix up the bunch. You know just like real life you cant pick who you work with!

8779 South Ridgeline Boulevard, Highlands Ranch, CO  80129
Last modified STEM High and Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
STEM High and Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 76 reviews. Top