Public charter
Highlands Ranch, CO
Students enrolled: 1,050

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

STEM School and Academy provides an enriched academic program for highly motivated students. Almost 25% are identified gifted. We offer weekly tours to provide parents with a clear understanding of our program. Visit our website for tour dates and more information. No testing required for admission. Our lottery is conducted in January for the following year. Contact our registrar for admission information if applying after January. Our faculty, staff, students and parents have created a very special place to learn and grow. Watch our video uploaded on our website to see what students and teachers are saying about their school.
June 01, 2014

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted May 21, 2015
it does just the opposite produces burnout, over doing anything is not a good balance and it is not the best thing for children

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted May 21, 2015
No with the lack of consideration on the treatment of others shows the bottom line is just the numbers the test scores they receive

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted May 21, 2015
the bullying in the school is never addressed administration keeps looking the other way when attempt is made by parents to address the issue it is just swept under the rug

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted May 21, 2015
there is preferential treatment I do not agree that they treat each student the same

STEM High and Academy 2

Posted May 21, 2015
the expectations on the children is just too much they claim they want to prepare for college but the reality is they over do it by an extreme amountthe children are often frustrated overwhelmed and flat out feel burnt out

STEM High and Academy 4

Posted February 17, 2015
Woohoo! Want your kid to enroll in Kent 2.0? If so, go to Stem School and Academy! Firstly, this school focuses on what lots of kids need: science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Even better, the technological aspect of this school (most assignments are on an 'virtual school network' named Canvas) lets kids work at their own pace, ensuring a sound education. However, there is one pitfall. The school is located in an office building. I hope this will not deter you from the schools obvious benefits.

Posted February 14, 2015
My son has attended STEM School and Academy for three years starting in 6th grade. He's now in 8th grade and, truthfully, he loves his school and plans to attend high school at STEM. He is a gifted student and loves that he is challenged at STEM. He's in a school where a lot of the other students learn like him and he is comfortable there because of that. He's a visual spatial learner so the hand-on that he gets at STEM is fantastic! He's not one that can just sit in lectures day in and day out. That's just not how he learns. I've been in the classes with my daughter at another area high school and the quality of learning going from one class to another where the teachers just put up slides and the students copy what's on the slides is not engaging or conducive to long-term learning. It's set up for short term memorization to get through a test. My son takes advantage of the STEM Academy after school and is learning robotics. They use a CAD program that US engineering firms use and they have hands-on experience building a robot that they'll take to competition. Now that's learning AND it's for the real world!

Posted October 31, 2014
My son is not one of the incredibly brilliant kids at STEM and instead only likes sports. We decided to try STEM because he likes the computer and is not very organized and the local MS looked chaotic. Since he has been at STEM it has been as though we have a different child/student. He is up and ready to go every morning. This year he has three honors classes and right now has high A's in all of the classes. There are things I could complain about at STEM like how chaotic it can be as they go through their growing pains and some of the classes have to many students. Your child will need to be somewhat motivated to not goof off because there is a lot of in class work but very little home work. Bullying is virtually non existent. Teachers are incredibly responsive and available to return your emails and calls and meet with you. At STEM, he has learned to play the guitar,learned computer skills,coding and engineering. Overall, we have found it to be a very positive experience. My son's organization skills have really improved and he now takes ownership of his work and his grades.

Posted October 30, 2014
This has been a great fit for my student. Kids actually want to learn and work together. The pace is wonderful. She is not bored. My only complaint would be that she is not encouraged to read. Everything else has been wonderful. Teachers are genuinely interested in the students and take time before or after school to give extra help if needed. Many programs available for kids to be involved. Parent involvement is encouraged and valued. Your student should be organized and motivated to make their way here. It is a fantastic place for promoting maturity, independence, and bullying as not been a problem.

STEM High and Academy 4

Posted October 29, 2014
This school is the greatest school I've ever been to. Yeah, lots of parents have complained that the content is 'inappropriate' and that 'their students test scores have dropped', but you know what? If you can't handle the heat, then get out of the kitchen. Yeah, some classes are a pain, and the school is hard, but if you can't handle it, then that's tough. This school is where I went just coming out from a bout of depression, and it saved me from getting even worse. I found friends here, and I've been in Honor Role every year. Sometimes the school is a bit of a mess, and it certainly was wild in the beginning, but now we've seemed to regain our footing, and we're doing well. - A current student.

8773 South Ridgeline Blvd., Highlands Ranch, CO  80129
Last modified STEM High and Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
STEM High and Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top