Public charter
Students enrolled: 1,050
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

STEM School and Academy provides an enriched academic program for highly motivated students. Almost 25% are identified gifted. We offer weekly tours to provide parents with a clear understanding of our program. Visit our website for tour dates and more information. No testing required for admission. Our lottery is conducted in January for the following year. Contact our registrar for admission information if applying after January. Our faculty, staff, students and parents have created a very special place to learn and grow. Watch our video uploaded on our website to see what students and teachers are saying about their school.
June 1, 2014

Posted October 31, 2014
My son is not one of the incredibly brilliant kids at STEM and instead only likes sports. We decided to try STEM because he likes the computer and is not very organized and the local MS looked chaotic. Since he has been at STEM it has been as though we have a different child/student. He is up and ready to go every morning. This year he has three honors classes and right now has high A's in all of the classes. There are things I could complain about at STEM like how chaotic it can be as they go through their growing pains and some of the classes have to many students. Your child will need to be somewhat motivated to not goof off because there is a lot of in class work but very little home work. Bullying is virtually non existent. Teachers are incredibly responsive and available to return your emails and calls and meet with you. At STEM, he has learned to play the guitar,learned computer skills,coding and engineering. Overall, we have found it to be a very positive experience. My son's organization skills have really improved and he now takes ownership of his work and his grades.

Posted October 30, 2014
This has been a great fit for my student. Kids actually want to learn and work together. The pace is wonderful. She is not bored. My only complaint would be that she is not encouraged to read. Everything else has been wonderful. Teachers are genuinely interested in the students and take time before or after school to give extra help if needed. Many programs available for kids to be involved. Parent involvement is encouraged and valued. Your student should be organized and motivated to make their way here. It is a fantastic place for promoting maturity, independence, and bullying as not been a problem.

STEM High and Academy 4

Posted October 29, 2014
This school is the greatest school I've ever been to. Yeah, lots of parents have complained that the content is 'inappropriate' and that 'their students test scores have dropped', but you know what? If you can't handle the heat, then get out of the kitchen. Yeah, some classes are a pain, and the school is hard, but if you can't handle it, then that's tough. This school is where I went just coming out from a bout of depression, and it saved me from getting even worse. I found friends here, and I've been in Honor Role every year. Sometimes the school is a bit of a mess, and it certainly was wild in the beginning, but now we've seemed to regain our footing, and we're doing well. - A current student.

STEM High and Academy 4

Posted October 07, 2014
My 7th grader LOVES this school!!! He comes home a lot to tell me how happy he is there. :)

Posted October 01, 2014
I love this school, because they have a different way of teaching unlike other schools. In stem there in engineering class, and i think the money is totally worth it. Our backpacks are nice and light. We mostly do it all on the computer.

Posted September 24, 2014
I have 2 kids at stem and they both love the school. Their test scores have gone up after each year. They are both in high school and they love going to school. I never have to ask them if they have homework but they work on it in the car. Then complete it at home. It is a great fit for our kids. We would never go back to high price private school that had great sports but not so great school work.

Posted September 24, 2014
We have 2 children at STEM. Its the best fit so far for our kids, and we have been to 3 different DCSD schools! My kids ask to go to school in the morning. They learn the importance of working on projects with their peers, much as one would do out in the work force. I have no issues with the teachers, staff or administration. Its a new school, and there are still growing pains, BUT its a small price to pay for having a child happy at their school. Staff & teachers are good about communicating with parents, and parents are welcome to come to the school and see it, as they do their volunteer hours. Clearly STEM is not for everyone! Too many kids start in 6th grade, and soon realize its not a good fit. The nice thing is that kids who don't fit in, leave, and in the higher grades STEM school is left with kids and their parents that want to be there. In truth, that can be said about teachers too. Those that don't fit in either leave, or find they are terminated, and replaced by teachers that fit in and understand the direction of the school and its student body. We are happy at STEM, and hope to remain thru high school.

Posted July 19, 2014
My daughter is about to start her 3rd year at STEM and we could not be happier with the curriculum, teachers, support team and staff. She has stepped up to their expectations and although she says its hard, she is engaged and gets the attention she need from teachers. The physical building isn't the greatest .I don't think they thought about how much space they were going to eventually need. There are also a lot of growing pains with administration and policies/procedures. That being said, the positives definitely out way the negatives.

STEM High and Academy 1

Posted May 31, 2014
STEM Middle School ranks 327 out of 503. Nothing to brag about and no plan presented to parents for improvement. Compared to individual middle schools in Douglas County, STEM is at the bottom of the list for performance. Tours are needed on a weekly basis to fill open spots. Retention of students in the upper grades is a problem. STEM is not academically rigorous. My student is not being challenged. Very little effort is needed to get an A. It is doubtful this school will prepare students for college. The social environment is very different. The boys out number the girls. Most classes only have a handful of girls. Students are on their computers ALL day, including lunch. There are some good teachers but overall we have been disappointed.

Posted May 30, 2014
Our family is so thankful for this school. My daughter just finished 6th grade, has great friends and for the first time, feels challenged in academics. She tested at the Algebra 2 level in the placement test and will be in pre-calc next year. There are many girls like her and for the first time, she is happy going to school. There were many field trips this year including Sea Camp in San Diego for 7th graders. We toured the school and loved that we could visit classrooms to see what it really like. The students were articulate and all said they are happy at STEM. We checked the TCAP scores and STEM scores higher than Douglas County in math, reading, writing and science. It s not for every child. The student has to willing to work hard. Our neighbor is on the wait list and hopes their child will be one of the lucky students to enroll. We love everything about this school- visit and see for yourself.

STEM High and Academy