Public charter
Highlands Ranch, CO
Students enrolled: 1,050

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

STEM School and Academy provides an enriched academic program for highly motivated students. Almost 25% are identified gifted. We offer weekly tours to provide parents with a clear understanding of our program. Visit our website for tour dates and more information. No testing required for admission. Our lottery is conducted in January for the following year. Contact our registrar for admission information if applying after January. Our faculty, staff, students and parents have created a very special place to learn and grow. Watch our video uploaded on our website to see what students and teachers are saying about their school.
June 01, 2014

STEM High and Academy 1

Posted August 26, 2015
As a former teacher, this school doesn't allow teachers to teach children in a positive way. It's all projects or nothing. I wanted to branch out and create a fun and exciting learning experience only to be told that I didn't understand the STEM's policies. However, not once while I worked there was I told what those were. I even had a mentor that only gave negative feedback. Not once did she offer guidance about teaching STEM's way. I constantly felt like I was letting the children down because I wasn't allowed to teach true subject matter. My recommendation is that this school be shut down. It's worthless and decreases the students readiness for college.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted May 31, 2015
Yes this school is so so hard and has so so many very smart kids that you have to give 110% to make it. So hard work you will make it.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted May 31, 2015
yes the student do respect the other students bc they have to work on project together in every class and they don't pick there partners the teacher mix up the bunch. You know just like real life you cant pick who you work with!

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted May 31, 2015
In this school you have lots of kids that did not fit into the other schools bc they were smart or have glasses or socially did not fit in. So all the kids at this school are friends and don't judge by looks.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 31, 2015
Yes they work hard to teach the kids to think! Not just memory info. If they do poorly on a test they have to redo to to lean the info not just take the grade. No the retake will not change there bad grade but it shows them you have to learn the stuff b4 test or after. This school will not pass them to next level of math unless they receive a A or B! Finally a place that want to teach not just push the kids thru and get the money.

STEM High and Academy 5

Posted May 31, 2015
We just love to see our 2 high school kids come home everyday talking about they learned and what they will do next!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted May 31, 2015
They have some very very effective teaches but it is a new school if they get a bad teach then they fire them right then in the middle of year or what ever!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted May 31, 2015
What is too much homework or too little? You do the amount you need to pass the class.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted May 24, 2015
I stay up wayyyy too late some nights just trying to finish an assignment that is due the next day, given that day.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted May 24, 2015
The teachers sure want honesty, integrity, and fairness but it is not seen in the students eyes. I can tell you, in a students eyes what I see. I see people graffiti the bathrooms. I see people play truth or dare and do some crazy stuff. I see students flip teachers off behind their backs. The thing you hear a lot is "I wont get caught. No teacher is looking."

8773 South Ridgeline Blvd., Highlands Ranch, CO  80129
Last modified STEM High and Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
STEM High and Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 68 reviews. Top