School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

STEM School and Academy provides an enriched academic program for highly motivated students. Almost 25% are identified gifted. We offer weekly tours to provide parents with a clear understanding of our program. Visit our website for tour dates and more information. No testing required for admission. Our lottery is conducted in January for the following year. Contact our registrar for admission information if applying after January. Our faculty, staff, students and parents have created a very special place to learn and grow. Watch our video uploaded on our website to see what students and teachers are saying about their school.
June 01, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)

Amount of homework: Disagree

I and many other have been through dozens of all nighters to pass all my classes with a C.

Disappointing and cares very little about their students. The only thing STEM cares that their students do is stay and give good reviews about their school. I have never been hit by such a heavy workload of busy work without educational value in my life. Their lunches are expensive, their social events are infrequent and unimpressive, and their education is one year above most schools, but with 10 times the workload but the same comprehension of the materials. Considering these facts, STEM undeservingly values themselves above all other schools only to get more students in their newest year, STEM cares very little if their students pass, they are only determined to convince their students that STEM is the best school there is. The only good thing I can give this school is that my freshman year at Arapahoe was easier, and that that 40% of my teachers at STEM cared about their students in the slightest.

Develops character: Agree

They were mean but they became nice and ever since they have been very nice.

I am currently a STEM student in 7th grade last year was my first year at stem the teachers were very helpful but not so nice first semester but it was nice to have not a lot of homework. Second semester they were very nice and helped with homework but there was a ton of it and i kind of understand that but i think it was a little too much... i was spending about 4-6 hours a day... This year so far has been outstanding and i love it here! I highly recommend this for your child.

Amount of homework: no rating

Don't know because the communication was so poor we never knew what the homework was because half the time it wasn't online where it was supposed to be.

Our child attended Stem's first year of 5th grade in 2015/2016. Bullying policies from the handbook were not enforced. The bullying went on for the entire year and never addressed by staff. Communication was a nightmare. One of the "STEM" teachers managed to delete hundreds of emails from Gmail and couldn't figure out how to retrieve them which seemed kind of ironic. The reason we stuck it out was we loved the home room teacher. He was promptly fired on the last day of school because he wasn't awful like the rest of the staff.

The school is amazing, but the homework is ridiculous. My child is in 6th grade, but he gets 2-5 hours a day! This is bad. But the education is good however. He has good grades, but he is beginning to hate school, learning, and teachers. They're good people, but he is so tired of this madness!

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

While there are some caring, perceptive and engaged teachers, most are aloof, and do not bother to learn about your child. Transparency differs greatly, depending on the individual. Even the more exciting / inventive electives seem to get watered down into uninspired experiences. The kids then tune out instead of developing an appreciation for topics such as engineering or electronic music.

The school puts its own growth agenda before your child's well being. As a parent, expect to hear lots of excuses. It is not a safe or healthy environment for young children as the kids are allowed to run wild and there is very limited space for outdoor activity. Opening the school to younger grades would be a diservice to children who need a more balanced environment. This year's Fifth Grade expansion treated the kids like an experiment as infrastructure and operations were not ready, or poorly defined. Teachers provide little instruction or structure, so much of the learning takes place at home, if at all. Poorly designed "project-based learning" assignments result in student confusion. This school looks much better on paper, but I'm afraid it gives other STEM programs a bad name. Are they just incompetent, or is their brand of STEM just a good cover for laziness? Sadly, I believe it's both. The fiasco they call drive line coordination is representative of the poor judgement and planning I have seen since my child's first month of school. While the infrastructure had improved slightly, the attitude of much of the staff has not. While the high school seems impressive, elementary is a completely different animal. You've been warned.

My child has been going for two years. We are so grateful to have an school so forward thinking! She is a middle of the road student who may not even pursue a Stem career but we are going here because I want her to experience the very best education and I believe this is the place to get it. We have a fine school much closer but we choose to drive past it because Stem is superior!

Last modified STEM School and Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.