Highlands Ranch, CO

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted August 18, 2015
The teachers at Northridge are fantastic. Their scores on tests show that they are some of the best in the state at teaching. They also adjust their lessons so that they challenge kids who are ahead, and go back to fill in the gaps for children who are behind. The students who have been at Northridge stand out in middle school because they are so well prepared. They land up in the top classes. The teachers are friendly and kind, and my kids have loved every teacher they have had here.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted August 18, 2015
The children are held accountable for their own actions so they develop respect for themselves, the teachers, and the other children, because they understand how their behavior affects others. The children appear well behaved in the classrooms and in the hallways, and I have seen teachers talking to children about a better way to do something, rather than yelling at them.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 18, 2015
The classes have meetings where all of the kids talk about issues that come up and discuss how they could be managed. The children all listen to both sides of the story, and have to include how their own actions affect the others in the class. My children have begun to use this format at home, and have begun to own up to their mistake and offer suggestions to make it right.

Posted August 01, 2015
We have been thrilled with the academic and social development of our children since they have been at Northridge. The teachers were quick to see the children's strengths and weaknesses, and adjusted what they were doing so that each of our kids was challenged. Our kids loved the before and after school activities and the specials. The principal was very involved and supportive.

Northridge Elementary School 1

Posted June 16, 2015
The principal here is rude to parents. The teachers are allowed to do whatever they like regardless of strong parental negative feedback. Parents who stand up for their kids will be treated badly. My son was bullied for 4 months there, as were other children, while the principal tried to say it was all in his head! I've never hated a school like this one, I cringe just hearing her voice. The sixth grade teachers are horrible. They don't teach - for math, you get huge packets of worksheets. English and math are also completely on computers except for these huge packets. ReadingPlus is a horrible program that causes headaches and doesn't align with the mental model of reading (skip back to improve comprehension) - as a usability engineer with an MS in this field, I voiced these expert opinions - the principal could care less. I am desperately trying to find another place for my son - my daughter just barely survived sixth grade there, and he would have the same "teachers". My daughter is a cute, athletic, fun-loving, comedic gal who makes friends everywhere, except Northridge, where the girls will ask you whether you're a Republican and who your parents voted for. She eventually found some good male friends, and the kids loved the Chinese teacher, but for the rest, unless they get rid of the horrible principal and 6th grade teachers, I would beware.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted June 16, 2015
My sixth grader knew more, was more confident and fun-loving before entering this horrible place. She has bounced around as we've moved, but always integrated. Not here - here, if you didn't start in K-2 here, then you shouldn't bother coming. It should have stayed a track school and left the language to another school. Sad that it's the only one w/language :(

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted June 16, 2015
My second grader got nothing. My sixth grader got huge worksheets for math, basically doing the same thing over and over again, trying to boost test scores. The kids do 1 solid month of testing, plus various other tests that have nothing to do with schoolwork!

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted June 16, 2015
Beware coming into this school as a sixth-grade girl. The girls here are just mean, and bullied my daughter's best guy friend for being friends with her!! Just because she wouldn't allow them to control her own friendships. Horrible place, horrible girls, horrible principal, horrible teachers.

Posted January 15, 2015
We have moved around a lot for work and this is by far the friendliest and most academically rigorous school our kids have ever been in. You can feel the love that the teachers and administration have for kids when you walk in the door, and you can tell that they have high expectations for children by listening to the type of conversation that the kids have with one another and their teachers. Thank you Northridge.

Posted November 03, 2014
I didn't realize how exceptional this school was until we left (moved out of state). The teachers meet students at whatever level they are at and work with them to excel from whatever the starting point is. Academically this school is top-notch. It gets the outstanding scores for a reason.

555 South Park Rd, Highlands Ranch, CO  80126
Last modified Northridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Northridge Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 48 reviews. Top