School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Trailblazer Elementary School is a welcoming and engaging environment for students and their families. Our goal is to make learning rigorous and relevant by allowing students to build important skills (like reading, writing, and math) and applying those skills to real world problems and themes. If you are looking for a student-centered environment for your child, please visit our school. We are always happy to give you a tour and answer any questions you may have.
January 26, 2016

Bad
Good

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted January 26, 2016

This is our fourth year at TBE and we now have two children enrolled. TBE has definitely faced change and challenge during the last few years and we've had moments when we've wondered if it's the best option for our family. Change is never easy but sometimes it is for the best. The current Principal and PTO leadership are doing an excellent job and we are more excited than ever about all of the great things happening at our school.

The principal, teachers and PTO have been doing a great job this year! So glad to be a part of this great school.

I have been very impressed with the teachers my sons have had and I think the principal is doing a great job.

This school is failing with the new supervision of the principal. I attended the 6th grade back to school night this evening and I was appalled by the lack of experience from the new teaching staff. I am seriously comtemplating removing my child from this school. The superintendent needs to get involved. Very sad to see how this school is failing now.

I don't know where the negative comments are coming from as we have had huge success at Trailblazer and feel incredibly fortunate to have such a fabulous neighborhood school. The staff is amazing- they work individually with each student to assess where they are and then works with them individually to make each child better. Maybe things were bad years ago, but as of right now it is a wonderful place to be! Fantastic, loving, professional staff that makes the school a great place to be!

We have been at Trailblazer now for 5 years. And to be honest we have liked a few of the teachers, but have had more bad than good. I give it an average rating because I feel they are average. The problem is I expect more from a school in Highlands Ranch. We have one delayed child, and one advance child, so we have seen both sides. Our delayed son has been the most challenging and after they strongly encouraged us to not hold him back last year we took their "professional" opinion. After two weeks of the start of the year, we knew it was the wrong move, but too. Late. My biggest disappointment is that they really are. Not interested in going the extra step for the kids, or what is truly in the child's best interest. In my opinion, it must be that it makes them look bad in some way. I know budget's are tight, but I do not feel they have the best, especially this Rating given by this website. In leadership, you have to make hard decisions, and it feels like the principle is not able to make the hard calls. We have also had some bullying issues that have been not handled well in my opinion. We will be leaving this year. Just glad we have options.

My child spent 7 years at this school from K-6th grade and had an outstanding experience. The teachers are caring and catered to his needs, which were above average. They were very good with communication and with community events. Not only were the academics great, but this school taught virtues like compassion (there's a good amount of special needs students here) and responsibility. I can't say enough about this school.

I had one daughter graduate from this school and one that I had to pull from it. The teachers are handing out the same lessons year after year and don't change anything up and don't challenge the students to think differently or creatively. Every time I tried to modify to the lesson plan to help my daughter go deeper or think more critically, I was asked not to because it made the other students want to do something similar and the teacher wasn't ready to modify to that degree. The principal is on that supports lots of assemblies and field trips thatdont honor learning (a field trip to a movie or to watch other classmates play at a sporting event? No thank you). When told my eldest child did not meet grade level expectations I asked what they were doing to help catch her up and what could I do at home. They told me she would probably just catch on with time...there was no homework for my eldest who struggled the most and I found that unacceptable. With all the great elementary schools in this district that are so close by, don't just choose one based on location...visit and learn about the school. This school has really gone down hill in the last four years.

We moved here three years ago from MI and decided to live in Highlands Ranch based on the schools ratings. Our daughter started in Kindergarten and will be in third grade this August. We love Trailblazer and the excellent education she receives. They offer special bookclubs and advanced math exercises for those who are a little ahead. Our daughter is reading at a fifth grade level in second grade and is advanced in her math program but we never feel she is bored. If anything she is excited about school and loves attending. They also have programs for those who need to catch up a little bit in reading or math. The office is always nice to me and I feel comfortable asking questions if needed.

Last modified Trailblazer Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.