Lafayette, CO
Students enrolled: 1,017

Posted July 22, 2014
Centaurus is the best kept secret in Boulder Valley! The IB and Engineering programs really challenge those students who are motivated to do the work, and sets them up beautifully for college. the test score gaps have been closing steadily for several years, and they have done an excellent job addressing the needs of those who are not native English speakers. One of the smallest teacher/ student ratios in the district allows individual attention to students who need more assistance. This next four years will be a technology plus, with each freshman being supplied with a chromebook. I am so happy with the responsiveness of the staff and administration here; I have never waited more than two hours for a response when asking a question about something concerning my students. The marching band is a state champion, and all kids who would like to play sports are welcome to play. You can't go wrong here!!

Posted April 26, 2014
I find it interesting that a previous reviewer finds that Centaurus is not a good fit for gifted students. In our experience, the exact opposite is the case. My son's counselor has been extremely responsive and has made every effort to set him up for success. He has been given an extraordinary amount of freedom and guidance to learn and grow in the engineering program, even as a freshman, and all of his pre IB teachers appreciate him as a person and encourage him to excel. I feel that he will have many doors open for him in college due to the foundation he is getting in high school. In our experience in other schools, TAG is a program that may work with kids on a few things but does not really reach them as whole people. Additionally, quiet students and those who are more introverted are often not recognized for their abilities. At Centaurus we feel our son is thriving as never before; he is motivated to do his best and is so happy to go to school.

Posted April 26, 2014
I would like to share that I have a "twice exceptional" student who is a senior - he's been offered numerous merit based scholarships (ex: School of Mines and two scholarships from CU) and it's all due to the quality of teaching & extensive ZAP training he went through at Centaurus. He's a straight A student who chose not to go into TAG or IB programs, and got to plan his own coursework (mainly AP classes). We had many Ivy League Universities sending him recruiting mail. My other student is a Junior in IB and he's also tracking extremely well academically & we're confident of his college prospects. Centaurus is a high school that offers many choices to students where they can learn to proactively manage their education. This school prepares graduates for college level work, especially in the engineering program.

Centaurus High School 2

Posted April 25, 2014
As a parent of a straight A student, I have been very disappointed in the quality of education and lack of competency of the counseling office. I do not recommend this school for TAG students. There are excellent teachers, and the parents know who they are - so if you decide to send your child to Centaurus I would advise talking to parents who share teacher recommendations. The major focus of the administration is to raise the school retention rate. Most resources are spent with students who do not meet state proficiency goals. Although the counseling office has the state standard for counselor/student ratio, assistance with college and scholarship searches is very weak and the office is unorganized. Unfortunately, Centaurus is an underperforming school.

Posted February 03, 2014
I have a sophomore at Centaurus and have been so happy with his experience there. He used to be self-conscious and has really blossomed and feels very confident and happy at CHS. He is in the engineering program and part of the 2-time state champions marching band and orchestra. He also participates in baseball and track so is well rounded and involved which is important in the success of any student. I also volunteer in the office so see first-hand how things are ran at that school. The staff are amazing and are committed to helping the kids be successful in school at the same time helping them have a good high school experience. The kids are very supportive of each other and bullying is not tolerated. BVSD has helped to provide great improvements at CHS, including the engineering program and the IB program. The teachers are very committed to helping the students achieve their potential and are open and responsive to parents. Compared to what I hear from parents who have kids at other BVSD high schools, I think CHS is the best!

Posted January 30, 2014
My son has just completed his first semester at Centaurus and I am impressed. Teachers at Centaurus have an open-door policy and students can visit, get help, and spend time getting to know them. The teachers go out of their way to get to know the students and work to challenge them. The IB program is fantastic, the engineering program is 1st class, the teachers are incredibly engaging and inspiring, the staff is incredibly friendly. Centaurus is truly a hidden gem!

Posted April 23, 2012
This is my daughter's third high school in 3 years and she loves CHS. She even went to the "nationally ranked" school down the street but this is her favorite school by far. She says the teachers and administration at CHS are great. She gets good grades, has wonderful friends and is really happy! That's all that matters to me.

Posted September 13, 2009
To echo comments made before me, Centaurus is truly a hidden gem, and doesn t deserve the bad rap it sometimes gets. I graduated in '07 after 4 years at CHS and my experience there was phenomenal. I am now at a competitive university on the east coast and am proud to say that my Centaurus education has prepared me to hold my own against students who attended expensive prep schools. I wouldn t trade my CHS experience for anything.

Posted June 16, 2009

Posted June 08, 2009
The CSAP scores of this school are only slightly low beacause 15% of students are learning English as a 2nd language. There is a great IB program and a large selection of classes as well as the pre-engineering academy. Centaurus also offers many sports and extra curicular activities.

Centaurus High School
10300 South Boulder Rd, Lafayette, CO  80026
Last modified Centaurus High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Centaurus High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top