Bear Creek K-8 School

Public | K-8

Posted April 26, 2010

Currently, my child attends the 1st grade at Bear Creek. I choose to put my son in BC even though we lived out of the district because all the positives I head about it. It's been the worst decision I could have made. Not only has his tenured teacher demonstrated unprofessionalism, but her behavior towards my son has caused his self esteem and confidence to go down the tubes. During the course of the year my son suffered an emotional trauma and his teacher was directed by my sons psychologist and school administrators to provide more positive reinforcement. This also included sending home daily reports of how his day went via email. His teacher continued her negative way of discipline and pretty much refused to send the daily reports unless asked several times by myself or school administrators. My son spent 2-3 hours a night doing homework or reports (working very hard on them too!). Then would receive marginal grades for acceptable and correct work. My son no longer fits their mold and they have made it uncomfortable for him to attend. I am seeking out another school before they can cause anymore damage to my son.

Posted April 26, 2010

If your child does not fit their mold they will make it as uncomfortable as possible for your child to stay. I agree with other posts stating that the homework is excessive. Bulling is a problem. Students are chastised by teachers and other students and nothing is done about it.

Posted April 1, 2010

The teachers do not discipline the students very well and bulling seems to be a problem , no discipline seems to take action when it comes into play

Posted July 31, 2009

If you are looking for a private school education from public school, this is the place. We have gone to 2 other Elementary schools before finding Bear Creek. We left for a year but then came back, happy to be in a school that doesn't dumb down education. Bear Creek chooses their curriculum, Jeffco doesn't choose it for them. It has an amazing art and music program. I'm awed by what the kids bring home to show me or the fact they can spot a Monet from across the room in a museum.

Posted May 14, 2009

its excellent.im a student there.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 9, 2009

Great school! Teachers encourage the students and allow them to progress past their grade level if needed. Entire school is setup to push the students to achieve more. I have students in K through 5 and they are all loving the school as well.

Posted July 21, 2008

My son started at K and has been making excellent strides. The staff is awesome along with the principal and nurse. This is a school that looks at all facets of a child down to allergies to make sure that the student is well attended and cared for!

Posted March 12, 2008

I had a child attend this school after attending a nearby private preschool. I would have to tell you that this school is NOT for every child no matter how 'excellent' it's ratings are. The homework is excessive. The schools main focus is excellent CSAP scores. The children take pretests to prepare and are graded on it. My son after 2nd grade was told he could not read anymore picture books from the library. My son was not interested in their way of learning because it was all black and white with no connection to reality. He was excellent in Math but when sent with money to a snack booth was confused. They did very little art and brought nothing home but 2-3 hours of homework. This school does not adjust for the speed each individual child needs to learn at and takes the drive out of childs learning desires.

Posted March 8, 2008

I had two children who attended Bear Creek K8 , one beginning in 4th grade and the other in 6th. It is definitely a far cry from the ordinary Jefferson County School. Though one child came from a GT magnet school, she was behind when we transferred her to BC in 4th grade. After one year and a lot of encouragement and help from both teachers and parents, she was on track with the other students. After graduating from 8th last year, she had accelerated so much that she entered 9th grade in an Honors PreCalc class as well as 4th year Spanish. I give credit to all the teachers she had from grades 4th-8th. She loved BC and returns to help whenever possible. I found that the most successful students had actively involved parents. They have an awesome sports program,thanks Missy.

Posted May 14, 2007

My daughter has been attending Bear Creek K-8 since 1st grade and I could not be more pleased with the school. Each teacher has been firm and supportive of both the students and the parents over the years. This is not a school for everyone, but if your own values match the values of the school, your child will exceed yours as well as the school's expectations and excel in the future. I am excited that my son will be entering the kindergarten program this fall and am confident that he too will struggle at first, but with the constant encouragement and help from both his parents, he too will make us very proud of his academic endeavors. Thank you Bear Creek K-8 for giving my child the opportunity and advantages she would have never received from any other school!

Posted February 10, 2007

My child has been a student at this school since 1st grade. My child is in 4th grade now and it has been the worst year ever! It seems that every other year at this school is terrible. My child's current teacher is rude and unwillingly to make any changes. My child has been getting D's and F's this year and my child's confidence has dropped significantly. My child has at least 2 hours of homework a night. My child does not want to go to another school but I am looking into other schools. I would not recommend this school to anyone!

Posted January 23, 2007

I feel overwhelmingly compelled to express my views of this school. Currently, my child attends the 4th grade at Bear Creek. We re-located to Colorado from another state as the result of a new employment decision. Before I up-rooted my family, I did extensive research on the school systems here including this elementary. It's been the worst decision I could have made. Not only have they demonstrated complete unprofessionalism, but I'm having to seek counciling for my child who is suffering from depression as the result of a tenured teachers behavior towards her students. For 4 months now, I've been fighting to have her removed from this teachers class and have been literally ignored, chastised and told by the principal that if we don't like it we can take our kid somewhere else. Please check with other parents first before deciding on this school! It's destroyed our childs education.

Posted June 14, 2006

I did my student teaching a Bear Creek. I found it to be a very positive learning experience. The staff is quite positive and dedicated to the children. They were very helpful in preparing me for my future. Thanks Bear Creek!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 20, 2006

Excellent and well disciplined. Very focussed and good for elementary school. Very friendly staff too.

Posted December 19, 2005

We finally moved back to Lakewood, and got our kids back into the JeffCo schools we wanted all along. Our youngest is 9, and she attends BCES. We couldn't be happier with this school. Honestly, I couldn't come up with a criticism of this school if you forced me to. We love the curriculum/activities at the school, we haven't yet run into a 'bad' friend or classmate, and it seems like the majority of the parents are extremely involved in their children's academic and social lives. On top of that, test scores do NOT lie. Prospective parents, this is a great school.

Posted November 20, 2005

My kids are attending Bear creek, the oldest one is soon to be pulled. They started at a great private school but because of the price of Colorado Acadamy we no longer could afford 3 kids. The oldest one started in secound grade and it went great until now. As fourth grade came upon us I have noticed there is a teacher that really is VERY hard on the kids and if the student gets behind on more than one assignment she will fail your child. My son went from being an a/b student to all D's in her class. He got behind in school because of his illness, eventually got all his work in with high scores but because it wasn't on time she gave all D's. I'm a very involved parent and my child is not the only one, there are many others kids.

Posted August 10, 2005

Our son started at Bear Creek last year for first grade and we were consistently and pleasantly surprised at how much parental involvement there is. Homework is a definite must every night as the academics are quite thorough and at times intense for both student and parent. We, unfortunately didnt have an opportunity to participate in any other art or sport activities, but there are plenty of field trips and social activities throughout the year. In other words, we are very happy with this school and plan on staying local to keep our son there atleast for a few more years.

Posted September 23, 2004

My daughter has done extremely well in her first three years at Bear Creek. I think it has to do with the very well qualified and educated teachers she has had. Bear Creeks policies on education first, parent involvement and disicpline are excellent! Thank you to Mrs. Whitakker, Mrs. Reardon and Mrs. Beer! So far so good! I know my next two children at home benefit from this school when they enter and become better students! I am so glad they will be attending Bear Creek!

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

All Students91%

Students without disabilities84%
Proficient in English83%
Neither migrant nor immigrant81%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 40%N/A41%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Music teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Band
  • Choir / Chorus
  • Orchestra
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9601 West Dartmouth Place