Bear Creek K-8 School

Public | K-8

Posted yesterday

I definitely agree agree with these parents postings. I have a hard time finding my daughter clothes to wear to school. If there going to be this strict why are we not having the kids wear uniforms then? The school lunches definitely need to have better food. My son complains how awful it tastes. The education my kids get is great but they need to restructure the lunch and dress code better.

Posted April 11, 2014

This school blames the kid for the fault of the parents. When the lunch account goes negative they shame the kid by branding them with a sticker. Why? They have my email address and phone number and the "Parent Communication" folder. Is it necessary to label my kid for something beyond her control? Then there are the R/S/R packets and Reading Logs. Both which need signing by the parent. Apparently there is some kind of metric or bonus tied to them because when the parent forgets to sign them the student is punished by not being allowed to go to recess. Not having them signed is completely out of the control of the student. I understand that the teaching profession is a very difficult one. But these things are just petty. With regards to actual education I'm less than impressed. The teacher stressed that my child "needs to work on memorizing math facts". Memorization is only useful for passing a test. It sounds like BCK-8 has decided to play the NCLB game and get great test scores that mean nothing. I prefer my kids get an education. Don't get me started on the "improved" traffic situation. It's not only not safer but more confusing, expensive, and time consuming.

Posted April 8, 2014

We are parents of kids that are at Bear Creek k-8. They are in 7th grade at this school. We think our school is too strict and you should serve REAL food because my kid is always saying it is bad. The traffic system is also terrible as well. every morning when I drop my children off in my limo, a dang bus almost runs into me. The vice principal is much too well uh bad wordy. and they have an extremly strict dress code. the main principal is always wearing short dresses if she doesnt follow the dress code why should my kids have to? my kids are very advanced education wise though which is a benifit.; they have great education.

Posted February 12, 2014

We moved here from out of state at the beginning of December and I was worried about my child being a little behind. Her teacher has been extremely helpful in getting her caught up with the other children. Every interaction I have had with the staff has been positive. It is a tough school with much more homework than we were used to, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

Posted November 15, 2013

Non flexible. I found the staff to be extremely arrogant. The middle school does not offer variety, the students are not set up for high school. I would not recommend this school.

Posted September 27, 2013

Excellent school. I am very grateful of the school. Principal is a great leader and very efficient. I agree that this school is not for average students. Like to see their cafeteria serves better food. Both my boys are part of this school. They love this school and most of the teachers.

Posted September 26, 2013

They challenge my kids everyday. The staff are awesome and they truly want to be there. i do feel they send a lot of homework and for a busy family it can be difficult. Overall Bear Creek K-8 is a great school!

Posted February 11, 2013

Go to their website and read their Student Handbook. OMG! Sounds like a prison. We live close to this school and were looking at our options. I would not send my child here based on their handbook-- it is ridiculous!

Posted November 28, 2012

I have five kids at Bear Creek who have attended since kindergarten. We have been very happy with the education they have received.

Posted October 15, 2012

My son is currently in 3rd grade at Bear Creek. His teacher's standards are impossibly high to meet and my son has lost so much of his self confidence and love of learning in these first short months with her. If your child is not 'perfect' they will not fit in here. I am battling with my son nightly to un-do the damage that my son's teacher does to him during the day. Telling him to do his best suddenly means nothing to him. He has told me he doesn't want to try anymore because nothing he does is good enough. I am a teacher myself and it breaks my heart to see my child be so beaten up by a person who is supposed to lift him up. I have reached out to his teacher and come to the conclusion that we fundamentally disagree on how children should be treated. If you think that your child is awesome, capable, and deserving to be heard, DO NOT SEND THEM TO BEAR CREEK!

Posted August 12, 2012

I truely enjoy this school. It is a harder school and I think that my kids benefit from this. I have a daughter that graduated this year from Bear Creek High and was in the top 10% of her class. It's a little harder for my son but I push him and the teachers have been there to help him. They are willing to be in early and stay after school to help their students. The principle seems to know everyone by name and the staff too.

Posted April 19, 2012

I like this school. Teachers are wonderful.Kids have homework everyday. That is true. I stay with my kids during home work it takes 2 hours

Posted December 12, 2011

This school is not for the C's are ok lazy kids! I love the fact that this school is hard on the kids, the last thing i want my kids to be taught is that you can go to school and just "Get By". If you are a parent that hates to sit with your child and help him thru 2 hours of homework every night then you can send them to a less involved school, as this is why you might not like Bear Creek( WEEK is for WORK, WEEKENDS are for FUN!) I love the fact that not only is Bear Creek K-8 involved with the community but they are very involved with after school activities. I am glad both of my kids are enrolled in Bear Creek K-8 as i can see that they are preparing my kids for future outstanding scores and grades. Kids will be Kids.... Bullies are at every school and if you teach you kids how to deal with bullies the right way then your chid will never have a problem. With the education Bear Creek K-8 provides please pull your kids out, if you are not happy with the 2 hours of homework or being involved with the community and want to be LAZY..... "move out the way" plenty of parents that want to give their kids the best "public education" possible will gladly take your place!

Posted November 9, 2011

I was the parent that rated 1 star and it won't allow me to edit my review. But I am changing my review. because even though the teacher didn't fallow the protocol. the Principle did take the matter Seriously and the matter appears to be resolved for now. and the kids and my kid called it truce. And I am Very Happy With that out come.

Posted October 11, 2011

We researched and visited LOTS of schools, in and out of District before we chose Bear Creek K-8. Our children have been open-enrolled at Bear Creek K-8 collectively, for the past 11 years. The older children who have moved on to high school and doing SO WELL confirms that we made the right choice in choosing BCK8. Have there been any problems along the way? Of course there has been a problem here and there, but we do not choose to focus our attention on problems. We are mature enough to understand that no school is "perfect" and no matter which school you choose, it won't be "perfect" either; Welcome to life! If we had it to do all over again, we wouldn't waste our time looking anywhere else, because, BEAR CREEK K-8 IS AWESOME and have a nice day!

Posted May 1, 2011

My daughter has attended Bear Creek K-8 for three years. She is reading 3 grade levels above hers and is half way through mastering simple multiplication. All this is second grade! Yes, the work load is higher than the surrounding schools, but I feel this will prepare my child for a brighter future and what awaits her there.

Posted January 30, 2011

I also have kids at this school 3 of them. The homework is very excessive. Most evenings can't do nothing becuase of the homework. We too have problems with bullies and they also take the bus and have alot of problems before, during, and after the bus ride. The language out of these kids mouth we do not use in our home very disrespectful. We came from differnt school and wish we had never moved to have this school there home school is has been horrible!!!!

Posted September 30, 2010

I have two children who are in the 4th and 3rd grades and have been at Bear Creek since Kindergarten. In so many important ways this school is excellent. Students are pushed to work above their grade but not unreasonably. Math, English and reading are highlighted but the school also excels at music, art and PE. Homework is reasonable and reinforces what is learned in class. The schools expects good behavior from all its students and enforces discipline to keep kids focused and on task. For parents who want their children to get an excellent education, who expect high standards and are prepared to support the school's efforts, I would very highly recommend Bear Creek.

Posted April 26, 2010

Currently, my child attends the 1st grade at Bear Creek. I choose to put my son in BC even though we lived out of the district because all the positives I head about it. It's been the worst decision I could have made. Not only has his tenured teacher demonstrated unprofessionalism, but her behavior towards my son has caused his self esteem and confidence to go down the tubes. During the course of the year my son suffered an emotional trauma and his teacher was directed by my sons psychologist and school administrators to provide more positive reinforcement. This also included sending home daily reports of how his day went via email. His teacher continued her negative way of discipline and pretty much refused to send the daily reports unless asked several times by myself or school administrators. My son spent 2-3 hours a night doing homework or reports (working very hard on them too!). Then would receive marginal grades for acceptable and correct work. My son no longer fits their mold and they have made it uncomfortable for him to attend. I am seeking out another school before they can cause anymore damage to my son.

Posted April 26, 2010

If your child does not fit their mold they will make it as uncomfortable as possible for your child to stay. I agree with other posts stating that the homework is excessive. Bulling is a problem. Students are chastised by teachers and other students and nothing is done about it.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

All Students91%

Students without disabilities84%
Proficient in English83%
Neither migrant nor immigrant81%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 40%N/A41%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Music teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Band
  • Choir / Chorus
  • Orchestra
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9601 West Dartmouth Place