Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

My daughter graduated from Bearcreek K through eight after attending all nine years of kindergarten through eighth grade. She did very well at the school, was challenged academically, met good friends and overall she did very well. Their Spanish program is excellent. She is now at Lakewood high school in fourth-year Spanish which I think is really amazing. Bear Creek K-8 is a very challenging school but if your child works hard they will succeed and be ready for high school.

My daughter has been attending this school since Kindergarten and she is now in third grade. She has been challenged academically and has liked all of her teachers. All of her teachers have been responsive and all of them care about teaching and the kids they teach.

My daughter has been going to this school for two years now and she's not only been challenged but good work ethic has been taught. She had Mrs Kerl for Kindergarden and not only is she a great teach but a strict one. She prepped my daughter for 1st grade and now she is in Mrs Betlers class and they are learning more than just filling the bubbles like another parent mentioned. Mrs Betler is the type of teacher that will go above and beyond to teach and if your child is at a higher learning level she will also accommodate that.

Academically kids are challenged; however at what cost? My kids do not enjoy going to school (before they started there, they did). The learning is often rote memorization and all they seem to do is teach to the test (rather than to actually learn something). My student came home from first grade last year and when asked what she'd learned her response was, "how to fill in bubbles." First grade should leave kids excited and wanting to learn more, not just how to follow the rules. Bear Creek has good test scores because that seems to be the sole focus. Sadly, they are not engaging students or creating a life-long love of learning. I am very disappointed with our experience.

Caring teachers and staff. High expectations and strong curriculum. Students receive individualized instruction and support.

STUDENT SPEAKING! Graduated from BCK8 in 2013. Who cares about the dress code! What about the education? BCK8 is the best option for your child not to be a mess up and the school prepares you very well for high school. -RECENT STUDENT

While no school is perfect, this is the best public option in the area and better than most public schools in the state. I keep reading about food complaints and that the lunches don't follow the school "no sugar" policy, which is true. What most people fail to realize is that the lunch program is not a school program, the school board sold it to a third party "for profit" years ago, so the school has no say in what is served/sold by the lunch staff. The curriculum is harder than average (public school levels), but not even close to private school (as my son found out). If your child is advanced, self motivated, loves to push themselves or be pushed to be their best then bear creek is probably a good fit. As a parent, you will need to be ready for a private school like involvement or your child will struggle. On the other hand, if your child is behind, has poor skills, wants to do the least amount of work or put out the least amount of effort or you aren't able to support them every night then this is probably not going to be a good fitting school for them. Many teachers choice enroll their kids here and teach elsewhere...that wouldn't happen if this was a bad school.

BC K8 is equivalent to...a prison. The kids are not allowed to explore their own identity here. The expectations are unreasonable and honestly, similar to brain washing. Only after my oldest went to a near by jr high (mid way through 8th grade) did I really realize what damage this school does to parents and kids. Had I known years before, when I first enrolled my then first grader of what the future would be like at this school, I would have made a completely different choice for my children's early years. I can only hope now that jr and high school can smother that damage of the K8.

I recently graduated from the 8th grade here at Bear Creek and I agree and disagree with some of these reviews. The school dress code can be a little hard to comply with but it keeps the middle school tween/ teens from wearing short-shorts and baggy pants. There is nothing nice to say about the food, I packed my lunch every day. You can find milk that has expired years ago and all their fruit is bruised. They have a no sugar policy, but they still sell sweets as little snacks after lunch. The education your child will receive WILL CHALLENGE THEM, no matter what the grade level but it is worth it. The middle school ( Grades 7 and 8) grade papers using a college level grading system and there is a lot of homework each night ( at least 2 hours) but I am so glad I went to this school, I wouldn't have it any other way. The staff is great and the Teachers really do care about your child and their education. Go Bears!

I definitely agree agree with these parents postings. I have a hard time finding my daughter clothes to wear to school. If there going to be this strict why are we not having the kids wear uniforms then? The school lunches definitely need to have better food. My son complains how awful it tastes. The education my kids get is great but they need to restructure the lunch and dress code better.

Last modified Bear Creek K-8 School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.