Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My son is now in first grade. I feel like he's learning a lot! He loved his kindergarten teacher and his current one as well. I feel like he gets good individual attention; although, parents still need to advocate for their kids, but I expect that. I've always been listened to. Homework is OK. I suppose it's habit building, but I tend to agree with recent studies that homework in elementary school can actually have a negative effect on school performance in the long run. I know the point is to practice, but it's stuff my son knows so it becomes busywork. I'd rather parents have the assignment of reading with the kids every night and perhaps a larger book project each month or math/science projects. As it is my son now says he "hates" homework, which isn't how I want him to feel. This, obviously, isn't limited to Devinny though. Also, having only one 20 minute recess for 1st-6th graders really bothers me. Those kids need to run -it helps behavior and academic achievement. Other than my more global complaints, I feel that Devinny is a terrific community and we're very happy there!

Amount of homework: Agree

For our 1st grader, a few pages to review per week. Just enough to have him prepared for what is expected in the years to come. For our 4th grader, no more than 20-30 minutes per night for math and a reading review due every Friday. Writing assignments (research papers) due every month or so. This also seems just right. My kids never complain about it being excessive ... they just sit down after school and do their work. Good habits to make part of their daily routine.

We have two children in this school ... they tested in for the GT program and have been so happy with their teachers, classwork, and other students in the school. The practice of blending the students per grade across the AMP classes is a great idea. This way, the students get to know kids in the entire grade, not just their class. The Principal is the best we've experienced from four different schools. How many other Principals send an email and leave a voicemail message every Sunday evening for the entire student body, preparing them for the week ahead? The PTA is also awesome, and we love the fact that there is only a single fundraiser for the entire school year. No peddling magazines or doing door-to-door sales for a small portion of the proceeds going to the school. The Noble Knights Fun-Run is the highlight of the Fall back-to-school events and *all* of the money raised goes directly to the school. In this age of budget cuts and short-sighted voting tendencies of the surrounding county, this is the most fair way to provide all of the extra-curricular support that the students deserve. Devinny is an awesome school ... too bad we can't stay here through middle school as well!

As a new member to this community, we have been astonished at how amazing the teachers and support educators are! There is not enough good that can be said about how well they have integrated our children both of which have sensory issues, ADHD and dyslexia and provided accommodations that are working. No small task and huge testament to the hardworking teachers! This is unlike the 3 previous Jeffco and Dougco schools we tried, which were a complete fail. As for the administration, the principal tries to come off as controlling to the point of arrogant and condescending at times. That's just her way of handling it all; however, she is still very effective at getting the kids needs mets, creating an inclusive atmosphere and does so with a sense of humor. There is one front desk admin who is curt, and seems to want to let the world know she's better than her job, she will help you reluctantly, otherwise just ignore her. The other front desk admin is knowledgable, helpful, personable and exactly the person you want to greet you at the door. Any negative Admin stuff here is only background noise. When it comes to education this school has it figured out!

I'm a student at Devinny and I love it! I have had great teachers and their is nothing bad to say!

I love this school! The staff is incredible and so devoted to their students and their success. PTA is active and encourages all parents to be involved. I feel this school is very united! The principal is so great and a great community leader!

Devinny Elementary is a great school with awesome teachers who really care about their jobs and the children. Devinny is a high-performing school whose teachers are always striving to do better. The parent involvement is amazing and the PTA is very active and focused on supporting the teachers and improving the school anyway it can.

I have been at this school for 10 years and have 4 more years to go. This is the best school around - teachers, administrators, principal, office staff, and parents. What a fantastic community. I feel blessed that this is my kid's home school. It has totally prepared my older kids for middle and high school - they are both advanced now from attending Devinny. The kids coming out of Devinny are more advanced than surrounding schools and are high achievers and have strong morals - the Devinny Noble Nnight program promotes and instills good behavior in all the kids. There is little to no bullying. I can't say enough good things about this school!

We've experienced multiple years of petty problems. There is a consistent feeling that the "Devinny Community" isn't exactly all inclusive. There is an underlying power struggle at all times, as well. Parental involvement is high, but rather helicopter-like. We haven't been happy with the majority of the teachers and have experienced 3 principals in the past 4 years. Our experience has been consistently negative in most respects. Parking, drop-off/pick-up is always an issue and the latest attempt at fundraising was ridiculous. The office staff is consistently rude and unhelpful, as well. There is also a lack of male teachers at the school... I can only count the gym teacher, a part-time counselor, and a 6th grade teacher.

We made the hard decision to leave this school last year and could not be happier. I have been a memeber of the Devinny Community my whole life, and had a hard time letting go of that as well as there high test scores and raitings, But at his new school my child is happy for the first time in years. We did have 2 good teachers at Devinny, but had 3 very bad ones as well, the principle was awful, and the bullying in my childs clase was out of control. I was just told by his new teacher that she completly disagreed with the lable/peg that Devinny had given him. So many hard choices with Parenting but I'm so glad I made this one, and I would encourage other parents to look at ther otions if there gut feeling that this school is failing there child. I also now have a suspition that those high test grades are influenced by the gifted and talented program as well.

Last modified Devinny Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.