Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

My child just finished up kindergarten at KLAKES. To my knowledge, and based on our experiences thus far, the school is a great elementary school as schools go. However, our kindergarten teacher was pregnant this year and missed an abnormal amount of days (we're talking 15+ easily). This without a doubt effected our child's learning experience. We feel alternative accommodations should've been made early on in the year, and that the responsibility of 20 young minds during such a crucial time in their development should not have been intrusted to someone so focused on other things. We will not be moving schools, but are hoping for a better year in first grade. All in all, if you plan on paying for full day kindergarten here, it may leave much to be desired.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

All of the teachers that we have dealt with have our children's best interest at heart. They are willing to go the extra mile to make sure that our children are not only having fun learning, but also understand the content of what they are learning. They strive to make their year the best it can be both socially and academically. These teachers are wonderful and create a learning atmosphere in which the children feel safe but also valued!

What a breath of fresh air! We transferred from a nearby high pressure, high scoring school after my children began to hate school. Now they love school! Our new principal as of January 2013 focused first on creating good relationships with the staff and parents and it's made a big difference in the feel of our school. We made a big effort to help the lower achieving students with math last year and they are doing great! Our gifted and talented programs is project based and the kids enjoy working in an environment like the real world. Our general ed teachers are stable and caring. This school has a diverse community of families and we celebrated it with an International Fair last fall. A huge success! Join us - our kinder teachers are fabulous!

My children have been attending this school since 2006. We chose this school because it was our neighborhood school, and had good enough test scores. Since 2006, they have had 3 different principles, and I have never had a conversation with any of them, ever. However, the teachers at this school are amazing!!! Every single one of them! They are all very experienced, dedicated, and good at their jobs. When we moved out of the area, we stayed at KLES because we were so impressed by the teachers. They are what make this school so great. My kids have learned so much from them, including how to be a wonderful person (which is not something they test for). We love this school!

We've been very happy with the choice we made to send our child to this school. It's friendly, comfortable, and welcoming right up front. The GT program is challenging and the after school activities are numerous. We highly recommend.

We have, in general, been pleased with KLakes. I'm sorry to see that others are not. We have a little different situation in that we are in the G and T program and maybe things are different there. What I will say is that there seems to be a strong community of parents -- which can be good and "bad." When you get very strong parent opinions, sometimes those may will out over what is best for the school. I have noticed that the "bullying" that goes on in my kid's classroom is handled in a very "let's try to all get along" approach and I would like to kids held more accountable for their actions. We love the teacher we had last year and hope to have a similar positive experience this year. Although at times, the home work was -- wow -- a lot -- we think our kid has really accomplished a lot and enjoys the challenge. We personally wish there was more structured play time during recess instead of kids just roaming around gossiping -- there doesn't seem to be much incentive for the kids to be active outside and if it slightly cold or raining they come in and watch movies. We figure if that is the worst issue then things can't be too bad. :)

My husband and I were skeptical of this school given the rating and state grade; however, decided to test it for a year. We were extremely disappointed with the handling of a bullying situation that surfaced shortly after the school year began. Our child who loved preK became closed off about school and no longer enjoyed it. We approached the Kindergarten teacher who confirmed the bullying was happening. We asked her to keep us abreast of the situation and received no follow up. We attempted working with the parents of the child but they would not spare any time to help the children work out difficulties. The principal made it clear he wanted no part in mediating with us and the other parents and even said he did not believe a child in Kindergarten could be a bully, though the teacher along with a substitute had confirmed the behavior. Lastly, the very child who bullied our child along with other classmates was given a 'citizenship' award at the graduation ceremony. We are extremely disappointed and surprised at the negligent mishandling of this situation, especially in light of the problems with bullying escalating in CO as well as around the country. Would not recommend.

This school is on the right track!! It has been a year now since the new principal has been in place and I have to say that I m EXTREMELY pleased with his leadership. Any time that I have had a question or concern, he has been prompt to respond and I feel his decisions are fair. I have also noticed improvements in the way that my child s teacher manages her classroom and is working to engage students. I HIGHLY recommend Kendrick Lakes to others. This school has a fair amount of diversity and strives to challenge students to be life-long learners. For those who are displeased, it s important to remember that EVERY school has challenges, and the experience you have is directly related to what you put into it.

Teachers are all about making sure they teach to the "test". My child is only evaluate based on his ability to "score". The principal is new and no doubt wants to stay there so the pressure to have test scores high is incredible. They removed their PYP programming which was a devastating blow...not enough "teacher buy-in". Well of course not. Not when the pressure to teach to the "test" is all this school is about. If all you care about are state test scores for your elementary child's education than this is the school for you.

This school is awful. Their student to teacher ratio is so low that they have to merge grades in order to accommodate their students. Their special needs program is severely lacking to the point where we have to home school our child. The teachers are uncaring and stand by while other students get bullied, beaten, and while gangs of students attack one child, yet the one child gets in trouble just because he is labeled "special needs". We are withdrawing our child immediately. I would never send any of my other children to this schoool. Horrible.

Last modified Kendrick Lakes Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.