Lakewood, CO
Students enrolled: 2,052

Posted May 20, 2015
The teachers don't seem to be very motivated to help struggling kids. From the inflexibility in the curriculum and assignments for those that are having a hard time, to the lack of care from the counselor office.You may try to reach out and try to get some help from the teacher or the office, but it is a lost cause. You are on your own and your child is shuffled along or made an example of. 13 years of struggling to try to help my child with learning disabilities... all down the drain. 13 years of schooling and trying to help my child work through the problems he deals with on a daily basis.. all down the drain. 13 years all culminating to one big F. My child didn't graduate because of ONE class. 13 years waiting for this day to come, and it is not going to happen. No graduation day. Cancel the party, cancel the grandparents traveling out to see this big day, cancel all celebration plans. LHS, feel free to hang my child's Cap and Gown in your office. If he doesn't get to walk, then we don't need it. The way I see it tho, you had one job. ONE JOB, and YOU are the one that failed. You didn't give my kid an F, you gave yourself an F. The anger I feel is all encompassing.

Lakewood High School 2

Posted April 26, 2015
Pre-IB Lakewood teachers do not encourage high quality work, but they do encourage cheating, if unintentionally. Teachers generally do a cursory job grading assignments, if they grade them at all. This is likely because the volume of busy work given each day is huge (3 hrs + per night) & would be difficult to grade (unless teachers spend 3 hrs + per night grading). Instead, they just glance at the student's work to make sure the quantity is there. As a result of the volume and lack of accountability, cheating on assignments is rampant. When students don't cheat, they often do a very cursory job just to get it turned in. I see no interest on the part of administration in acknowledging the issue, much less addressing the student behavior or the teaching policies (e.g., lots of busy work rarely graded) that lead to the need to cheat and do low quality work. I am sure many parents are not aware of this situation, and are very pleased with the school. But, for a school with such a good reputation & so full of smart kids, I find the low ethical and academic standards very disappointing.

Posted February 18, 2015
Best school in Colorado! This school is amazing. They have great classes, they help your children learn clearly. The sports are great. The tutors are amazing. The school has great support and school spirit. I would definitely reccomend this school!

Posted April 09, 2014
I loved my LHS experience!! I am a recent Lakewood graduate and I can honestly say that I had the best experience here. I entered in the IB program but decided to just take AP classes my junior and senior years. I felt incredibly prepared for college and like I received the best public education I could have. Not only does Lakewood have great academic programs but they also have an incredible arts department, including music and theater, and a great sense of community. Principal Castagna was a fantastic principal and he has run Lakewood with extreme success for years. I am still so proud to be a Lakewood Tiger!!!

Lakewood High School 3

Posted April 02, 2014
My student transferred to LHS their sophmore year.. I have never meet the Principal in the two years he has been there. This principal is very removed from the parents and student body except for his class interuptions over the loud speaker for annoucements or e-mails to parents asking for donations for the school. Supposedly he has earned some award for a being a top principal. The school administrative staff is very aloof. Teachers are a mixed bag. Some are good , some do not want to be bothered and feel because the student is in HS a parent should have no involvement. Special Education , IEP and 504 services are sketchy and hard to enforce as is the case in most Jeffco schools. The school has a large student population and has it share of clicks

Posted March 08, 2014
This school is a unique one as it services students of all abilities from the special needs, to ESL, to AP, and has the top IB program in the state. While the test scores may not be the highest possible, you must consider the vast population of socioeconomically low students it services. This school should be a model for the nation equal access to a great education. The school is robust and has offerings in art, music, theater, sports, clubs, and a dedicated teaching staff.

Posted December 03, 2013
Beware of Lakewood Hogh School! They are busing kids from other ares and my student ended up being bullied and assulted, the school stated its not there problem even tho they were fully aware of the problem. If I could do over again we would of nerver put our children in this. This is school is going down fast with the violence and drug problems. The principal and asst principal are the worst both yelled at me when speaking with about the problem, they have no need to be involed with trivial matters. DO NOT SEND YOUR KIDS THERE

Posted March 03, 2013
I have a Sophmore at LHS. She got in under IB and will go for the IB Diploma. Many have commented on the IB program. It is outstanding with an amzing 95+ track record. But, what is important here is the amount of options a student has when attending LHS. My daughter spent a better part of two weeks, talking with counslers, and administrators about her options if she did not stay with IB. The administration embraced her inquiries and presented both sides fairly. They encouraged her to speak to other students and to weight the pros and cons. She received a tremendous amount of support as she struggled with one of many decisions that will impact her future. This school is about, support, and challenge and most importantly growth. My 15 year old daughter has grown and matured tremendously since she entered the West doors of LHS. As a parent we looked long and hard before making a decision about the school she should attend. We love being a part of this community and all that it has to offer.

Lakewood High School 4

Posted October 02, 2012
I am personally very dissappointed with the assistant Principle Anna Allen. Her lack of knowledge or even caring about what is going on out side of the school is appauling. Her lack of concern or concideration is appauling. She should be in another organization, not working with kids that may not have the ideal situation at home. She needs reeducated as well as a taste of her own mediciine. Her nose may not be so high up in the air if she took some time to concider others. Maybe she can use a lesson or two in humility, humanity or how about just empathy. How does a person get to be in a role that she is in with a lack of heart. How does she look at her self in the mirror every morning? Or does she?

Posted November 09, 2011
Very disappointed with the quality of staffs, the lack of help for my struggling child and the lack of support as we transferred to the Denver area from out-of-state. I am an educator, with 8 years of experience and believe this school is solely for the well-healed kid who is intrinsically motivated. Submitted by a parent

Lakewood High School
9700 West 8th Ave, Lakewood, CO  80215
Last modified Lakewood High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lakewood High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 57 reviews. Top