Lakewood, CO
Before care: Yes

Posted June 28, 2014
I have 2 kids that attend Westgate and I love it there. The PTA was fantastic last year and had a lot of afterschool activities. I loved the schools new running club. My kids always looked forward to Wednesdays. The staff was very dedicated to having my children succeed. A lot of negative parents left leaving room for the positive to shine through. I love this school and their continued growth.

Posted May 20, 2014
My son is currently finishing his second grade year at Westgate. Although I have concerns about Jefferson County's current direction as a whole, I could not be happier with this school. There has been an amazing amount of help and support for our kids over recent years and finally our test scores exemplify that! Contrary to another post, this school does also have a very healthy schedule of social activities (thanks in large part to the PTA) that include multiple family dances throughout the year, this year a family Carnival (free to students and parents), a running club and the PTA does carry a charter for our own pack of Cub Scouts. One other thing that has been beyond meaningful to me is Westgates focus on reading and improving the reading level of ALL readers...they've been able to also make this a fun process through the offering of a new software program (Lexia) and by being on board with Bandimere speedway's Race to Read. I know this school looks like its a little lacking from the outside (yes, we'd like to raise the funds to upgrade the playground!) but I have not once regretted the decision to send my son here.

Westgate Elementary School 3

Posted January 15, 2014
My children have attended Westgate for 3 years now. We love the fact that it is a "neighborhood school" and we can walk there from our house. This also allows me as a mother to be involved, volunteering, etc. We have been very fortunate to get excellent teachers for our kids, all 3 years. I was relieved, as there are some teachers at the school that are not very good. They do not seem to care about the kids. :-( My husband and I both have education degrees, so the level of academic rigor is a bit light for our liking. We wish that the staff would focus more on academics and figure out a way to minimize the drama that comes from the kids who do not want to study and do not have parental support. I know that is a tough thing to balance, but it would greatly improve the climate of the school, I think. Aside from that, we have been happy with the school and hope that it continues to improve rather than decline!!

Posted October 08, 2013
Love this school. My daughter was struggling last year at a different school and this year she is right on track. The teachers care about their students and helping them achieve their goal.

Posted May 24, 2013
My kids go to this school and it is great! I always feel welcomed there and everyone is always freindly. My kids love their teachers and their scores have improved. This was a low preforming school, but has gain so much momentum which shows they really care. The Principal has really focused the school on learning and not playing and the teachers have started to excel. This is really a great school and your kids will enjoy themselves. I do wish I saw more parents volunteering or at events, but the ones who are, are very nice and supportive.

Westgate Elementary School 3

Posted October 13, 2012
The school as a whole gets the job done but has a lot of areas for improvement. The teachers are amazing and really want to do what is needed for each individual student but they do not have the help or the time or the support to do this. My daughter is in 1st grade and loves school so she does well and is learning what she needs to but she has 2 friends with significant barriers to learning and need the extra attention but the teachers don't have the support in the classroom to be able to take the time to do this so they get left behind. The teachers have also been dealt a poor hand because the kids are only given 1 recess. No 6 yr old can be expected to focus when they have to be in a classroom for 6 hours out of the day. Kids need the opportunity to go out and release some of the built up energy so they can focus. It is also difficult to volunteer in the classroom. I have been trying for 2 months to volunteer so my daughter's teacher can have a little help but she is so overwhelmed that she has not been able to coordinate parent helpers. If your child has support at home & enjoys school Westgate is a good school because the teachers really care, if not I would not recommend it.

Posted May 04, 2012
I have worked at Westgate for over 10 years now and my son went to Westgate from 1st grade through 6th. I feel that all of the adults who work there have the best interest of the students in mind. With the previous principal necessary changes came slowly since not all teachers take kindly to change. With the new principal the necessary changes have been implemented and many of the teachers have been working hard to make sure that the students have the necessary knowledge to prepare them for their continuing education. The playground is actually a Jeffco Park and looks out over a beautiful piece of greenbelt. There are no ugly chainlink fences. Overall Westgate is a very hardworking, loving and beautiful school.

Westgate Elementary School 2

Posted April 29, 2012
I have been in Westgate since 2006, and it's so sad to see how a principal changed the charismatic of this school... I'm leaving the school because for me it's so important that my children feel like it is their second home and for the parents to feel welcome at all times.

Westgate Elementary School 2

Posted January 04, 2012
The principal has changed to many things, (no 6th grade continuation, no halloween parade, no thanksgiving luncheon with kidnergarten and parents, no 6th grade performance. Academics is great but the students need a little zest and the parents need to feel welcomed at the school. If we wanted it to be no fun just academics we would send our kids to Bear Creek K-8.

Posted January 01, 2011
My son has had a great experience in Kindergarten and the level of homework is appropriate. The teacher communicates well and even responds to my emails. I also appreciate the SAE program which is affordable, flexible and has a balance of activities and school cirriculum.

Westgate Elementary School
8550 West Vassar Dr, Lakewood, CO  80227
Last modified Westgate Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westgate Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top