Collegiate Academy of Colorado

Charter | K-12 | 480 students

Posted September 6, 2014

This school do a great disservice in giving children a solid educations. If you are not among the popular group your child will be ignored and suffer. They boost about how great the community is. The only community they have is the school community and all the fund raising money comes from you. You may as well investing in putting your child in a private school. They'll get a much better education. If your child has an IEP, they will do as little as necessary to follow the IEP, just to get the government money. I placed my daughter into a regular school and she excelled leaps and bounds. She even learned how to use a computer, which Collegiate doesn't even have a lab or library. What a disservice you are doing to your child by having them attend this school.

Posted June 23, 2014

My daughter was in kindergarten last year and we loved the school. It is a great place where parent involvement is strongly encouraged. I feel she gained so much knowledge and social skills with her class and teacher. We absolutely loved her teacher and other staff. They are very interested in our daughter's well-being. One of the things that brought us to this school is the small class size and the fact that they don't just teach to the State tests. There is so much more to learning than what is on those tests. While researching kindergartens we found so many of them just showed us a power point and said "this is what the state requires and this is what we teach". This school has seen some rough times prior to our joining them. The teachers are still here because they love the children. It is not just a job to them. If you want your children to be cared for in a great learning environment, please join us at Collegiate Academy.

Posted June 12, 2014

As a parent of three children at Collegiate I have to say that the rest of the education community can learn something from their K-12 model. As a school they care about the community they are building. Events are held for all students and families alike. Inside the classroom the teachers are caring and teach in a variety of different ways. I really appreciate that they do not place STATE TESTING at the center of how they judge success. My kids are so much more than test scores and Collegiate understands this. The leadership in the building is new, but I have found them to be approachable and easy to engage. They took over the school in a tough situation and have done a good job at taking steps to build for the future. They are young, and not perfect, but their commitment to my students education and the education of the community is obvious. Come to this school if you want to be apart of a true community. Go somewhere else if you just want to drop you kids off and then go about your day.

Posted June 9, 2014

Send your child here at your own risk. This school is awful. The leadership is unstable. There has been constant turn over of leadership and staff over the past several years (see the number of job openings they have posted right now on their web site). The principal and vice principal are non-responsive, unfriendly and inexperienced. The first is the brains while the second is the brawn. Neither are effective leaders in their own right and, together, they re a hot mess. There are no clear policies and procedures for families to reference for clarification of any practice. This leaves everything open to interpretation and allows for most decisions to be made arbitrarily by the two heads (which in this case is not better than one). Children cannot thrive in an environment like this. Again, send them at your own risk.

Posted February 11, 2014

Great caring teachers - awful leadership. Care more about bottom line than students well being. Last week students were wearing gloves and coats in class because the heating system was not repaired last year when they were notified of a problem. Student fell and injured herself on an uncleared sidewalk because the administration did not want to pay the company that plows the lots to shovel as well. Technology is pathetic with 15 to 20 year old computers, obscure software and no tech teacher. We willnot be returning.

Posted January 21, 2014

I am a parent of an elementary and junior high student and have been at Collegiate for 4 years now. This school has meet and or exceeded our goals for each of our students. Our students each learn differently and the small class size and amazing teachers have helped both to succeed and thrive in their education. They are getting the best possible education that our county offers and they will be so prepared for their future in higher education where ever that takes them.

Posted January 20, 2014

We have kids in 2nd and 9th grade at CAC. Administration has been very impressive in all their duties. Very "hands-on" and "in-the-know" with everything going on in the school. Small class sizes, caring and professional teachers, challenging and relevant curriculum, involved community of staff, parents, and students - isn't this what we're all looking for in a school in today's world

Posted December 2, 2013

The teaches at Collegiate are all fantastic. My son is in first grade and loves to go to school, he is learning so fast and making great friends.

Posted September 10, 2013

Collegiate Academy of Colorado has been a great school for my boys. My son went for 1/2 of his first year and begged to go back when he was starting third grade. We have been there since. He is now in 7th grade, and thanks to the fantastic teachers he has had, and the Saxon Math curriculum, he is now in 9th grade Algebra 1 math and advanced in many other subjects. He knows he wants to go to Colorado School of Mines, and I feel confident Collegiate Academy will help him achieve success for the next chapter in his schooling as well as building a solid foundation for his career. What I love about Collegiate Academy is the focus on character and whole-person development.

Posted September 10, 2013

I like this school all teacher so nice and kind and quality. Also principal of school and other all staff are really good people. I feel peace to be here and my children love this school we feel in home. And all thing work for my children success here, I am so glad for we found Collegiate Academy School. May God Bless this School with all staff and students and parents. sincerely

Posted May 16, 2013

This school is great, and yes like many schools it has its challenges. Parents have had a tough time dealing with change, when the administration was shaken up but change can also lead to many great things. Like all charter schools this school needs support with funding and volunteerism, but I have faith that in time we will get there. I moved my daughter to this school for many reasons and I am not about to give up on it just because things got off track for a bit. Or just because administration changed. It had to change! I want nothing but the best for this school and while they may not have the luxuries the traditional public schools have, I know my daughter feels at home and loves all the teachers and staff. In 7th and 8th grade in all Jeffco schools there is roughly 500 to 700 children. I am not about to send my child to that environment. She will still deal with peer pressures here but on a much smaller scale. That is important to me and should be for ALL parents. Collegiate Academy is not an alternative school for troubled youth either and parents with kids that have serious behavior issues and or use drugs and alcohol should be not bring their kids here.

Posted February 15, 2013

In one respect this tool is very useful but in another there is no control for incorrect posts by mean & vindictive people. The previous board members were removed and replaced by teachers & parents with nothing but the best interests of the students in mind. Both my children attend and love this school. The class sizes are small and students are group by ability not arbitrarily by age. This community is very tight knit and it is thriving.

Posted October 30, 2012

I was a student here for my high school career and after attending a large high school for a almost a year (thunder ridge) I felt CAC was a little slice of heaven. Yes not every aspect of it is perfect but what school is? The teachers here treated me with respect and integrity and allowed me to flourish in subjects I had struggled in for years. The technology was the only area that needed improvement but they have an incredible new president of the Board who is actually thinking about the community coming together. The biggest point that I want to hit home is that there will always be kids who hate this school or that school or what not but for the first time in my life I made friends who I still keep in touch with (even after graduation) as well as some teachers who are aiding me in my pursuits of happiness now that I am in the real world. I felt part of a family there we fought, we cried, we laughed, we grew together, and most importantly we stuck together. CAC an incredible school with a passionate staff (mr. P knudson conradt,) all of those teachers not only love there job but they LIVE their passion and get paid very little to do it. That there is what dedication looks like.

Posted September 27, 2012

I am a high school student at Collegiate Academy and I really like how far the school has come. A couple years ago the staff was unfriendly and did not treat the students as well as they should. I used to never see the principals during the day because they would always hide in their offices. This year the administration has changed and everyone is really friendly. Throughout the day they will always say hi to me and sometimes we'll have a friendly chat. I will never look up to and respect any other teachers as much as the teachers at Collegiate. The teachers are always focused on how they can help the students and be great examples. I will miss all of the teachers and everything they did for me when I graduate.

Posted September 26, 2012

I have a couple of kids at Collegiate - one is extremely gifted and the other has a learning challenge. What impresses me is how the teachers and staff have been able to meet the needs of kids at both ends of the spectrum. My kids know that the teachers truly care about them, give them the attention they need and always keep them challenged. My kids love the small class sizes and have a lot of great friends here. They would not want to attend any other school!

Posted September 26, 2012

I have had children at Collegiate Academy for the last 12 years and currently still have 2 enrolled. I am a very involved parent who has been in the classroom on a regular basis each year. The reason my kids attend this school are the excellent teachers and the small class sizes. You will not find better teachers anywhere. The high school offers a variety of AP classes where the teachers are able to offer their students individual attention. The only downside is the size of the school makes it difficult to offer many sports programs, but students are able to participate in sports at the school of their choice. My kids are thriving in this school, academically and socially.

Posted September 8, 2012

Clueless Academy of Colorado is what this place should be renamed. Last year we received an email that the school board had decided on a new focus for the school to become a college prep school. Considering the name of the school, one would have thought that to be a given. The fact that they felt they had to actually point it out is telling evidence of how clueless, unorganized and untrained the people in charge are. Bullying is so unchecked that the administration actually relied on it last year to try to keep students in line and the teachers joined in. I would go into detail but I have limited space. Suffice it to say many wonderful students have fled due to rampant bullying. Each time my son had any problem, we were always told something about having to keep up the image of the school. Come to find out that Jefferson County had programs and funding available to help him but the teachers and administration preferred to threaten holding him back rather than follow Jefferson County policies. This school can barely keep the lights on because so many people are leaving. The PTO is fundraising just to pay teachers. It should be allowed to die if they can't turn it around.

Posted August 27, 2012

This school is awful! The new administration was supposed to be so great. They made the new Dean sound like the second coming. It seems impossible but the school is actually worse now. My daughters new third grade teacher was extremely rude. The kindergarten teacher is very unenthusiastic. We took our girls out after the first day of school. They are now happy and at a school that is actually teaching at grade level.

Posted August 24, 2012

I wanted to like Collegiate: small classes, consistent teachers for 7th and 8th graders, ability level classes and teachers who really did seem to care about the students who learn a little differently. But administration is so poor that the good gets overshadowed. One of my son's middle school teachers abruptly quit two weeks before Christmas. No information was given to the school community. My son's bully was never addressed adequately and he endured two years of harassment from the same kid. My son dis-enrolled properly at the end of the year to transfer to a new school. And his transcripts were still not received at his new school by the beginning of the next school year. In fact the staffer said she was drowning in 75 students with the same need the first week of school. Sounds like a mass exodus has occurred. Sadly, I'm not surprised.

Posted September 14, 2011

This school was a unsatisfactory toward my child's learning. There was poor communication with the teachers. Had to put my child in Powderhorn just to get her caught up to her grade level.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 55% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 51% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 49% in 2013.

All Students72%

Students without disabilities73%
Proficient in English63%
Neither migrant nor immigrant64%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

3 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Colorado high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 2%N/A41%
Male 55%N/A51%
Female 45%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
College counselor(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • High Overall Academic Performance in the Elem. School (2008)
  • High Overall Academic Performance in the MIddle School (2008)
  • High Overall Academic Performance in the High School (2008)

Special education / special needs

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Special education
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 7:40 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Attend parent nights
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • We require 40 hours of volunteer time per family per school year.