Shaffer Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 542 students

Posted February 21, 2009

We did a lot of research and chose our neighborhood based upon the school ratings. We really appreciate the loving care our children have gotten since we moved here. The school feels safe, the teachers are wonderful. The con is that I think they let too many kids in from outside the district. The means more classes per grade, needing to use the outbuildings, shorter lunches (which is a HUGE issue with me -- I hate the idea of my kids gulping down lunch and not even finishing it) and less one-on-one. I also wish the school would be more green (recycling better and serving organic healthy lunches)

Posted February 20, 2009

Having come from a substandard school system in another state, where I had to resort to home schooling, I cannot say how happy we are with Shaffer Elementary. The principal, Mrs. Sterrett, knows each of my children and has even commented to me about her interaction with them and their teachers. She has also given me valuable counsel for their integration into middle school. I feel that the school is safe, provides a positive learning environment and each wonderful teacher has been attentive to the individual needs of each of my children. I had my doubts when we first entered the school, but was soon given reassurance by the performance of the teachers. My presence and involvement is known and appreciated by all the staff.

Posted February 19, 2009

I am a teacher at Shaffer Elementary. I have worked in several other schools in the metro area and I feel Shaffer has the best caring school culture, parent involvement, devoted and talented teachers, teamwork, leadership and administration. All of these factors contribute to high student achievement and character development among students, in my opinion. I think Shaffer is a fulfilling and rewarding place to work.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 16, 2009

It is a good school with great results where it counts. Caring teachers, staff and principal. Undermining the principal's authority because you dislike her personality or management style seems hurtful to the school & our children.

Posted February 6, 2009

Shaffer is a great school! The teachers are great! My daughter started shaffer in 1st grade and is now in 3rd. The only thing is the principle. Does she even know the parent volunteers and how much they do? At my daughters old school the principle had come up to me on several occasions and thanked me for volunteering at the school. Ms. Sterit does not even seem to care or realize how much the parents at Shaffer do.

Posted January 29, 2009

I have experienced Shaffer through four different children. I MUST compliment the teachers and staff. We have had great experiences here; minus the interaction with the principal. I find her inappropriate, and very overbearing to a point that I feel it is just a power struggle with her. She is more concerned about her amount of authority than the well being of the school staff and the children. I understand the school is rated with excellence awards and high test scores but I do not believe it has to be under her jurisdiction to continue this. We have lost many amazing and remarkable teachers due to her and I think it needs to be addressed.

Posted January 28, 2009

Shaffer has great teachers, staff and amazing parents. I feel the administration lacks in it's ability to be supportive and appreciative of it's teachers, while at the same time being hot and cold to the parents depending on the issues up for discussion.

Posted January 26, 2009

Shaffer has been a tremendous experience for my children. I credit that to the teachers, PTA, and parent involvement. The assistant principal, Mr. Christy, has been a fantastic addition this year, he is thought highly of in our household.

Posted January 26, 2009

I have 2 children that have attended since Kindergarten and they are now in 2nd & 4th grade. We have been fairly happy with the school for the past several years. The office staff is awsome and always remembers who you are when you call or come in. There are a couple of teachers that have left Shaffer due to pressure from Mrs. Sterret, one I know left unhappy and she was an awsome teacher, not sure what that was about? Also I have some concerns about the continual turn over of teachers these past couple of years and the continual adding of so many classes per grade. Why do we need 6 Kindergarten classes? In addition I don't like having my older daughter in the temps as it has isolated her from the rest of the school! The special teachers are great and for the most part we are happy!

Posted January 26, 2009

We have two children in Shaffer Elementary and have loved the experiences we have had. The focus on education as well as growing well balanced, responsible children has been impressive. We have enjoyed the teachers and the office ladies. While the principal doesn't have the best reputation, her job is complex and she manages to run the school well. PTA does a great job making Shaffer a welcoming community.

Posted January 18, 2009

My daughter has gone to this school for 2.5 years and is very happy. I have been fairly impressed with the teachers. She has loved them all. Some reviewers state the principal (Mrs Stearett) is not to their liking for one reason or another. The facts are this is one of Jeffco's top 3 elem. schools. It was not this way before she joined this school. She is not afraid of the teachers. Underperforming teachers seem to understand this and move on. She is not the touchy feely kind of principal. If you want that, you may find yourself at an underperforming school. I personally want whats best for my children educationally. This principal is working the best way she knows for the kids, not the teachers.

Posted August 28, 2008

Caring teachers, skilled principal leadership, and a fabulous PTA make this a great school!

Posted May 26, 2008

My children have enjoyed school this year. It is apparent the teachers and staff care very much about the children. Overall, this is a great school even if the principal is all about herself. There are times she is flamboyant and other times she is unapproachable and scary. I wonder what the teachers think of her leadership.

Posted August 30, 2007

Shaffer is a wonderful school. My son attended Kindergarten through second grade. He had great teachers and learned a lot in a fun environment. The Art/Music/P.E. programs are excellent! The teachers and staff really care for each child. We recently moved away and we miss the school.

Posted August 6, 2007

My child is about to start 1st grade and attended Shaffer for Kindergarten. We thought the K program was wonderful and were amazed at how much our child learned. Our child also loved going to school and we hope that attitude continues this year. But I will say, if your child is going to miss much school because of vacation or sickness, they will contact you about the absences. They are very concerned with their rating and don't want you taking your child out of school. I have been very happy with this school and feel fortunate that I get such quality from a public school

Posted April 30, 2007

We just moved from Bear Creek elementary, we did some homework before selecting a new home (and the school district it fell into). So far we have not been disappointed, starting with the office staff and their helpfulness at move of our 2nd grade daughter over Spring Break. Grenay and the rest of the team were fantastic and they are always so welcoming. We were told at Bear Creek that our daughter would be ahead of the Shaffer kids, for math and reading she was in the top 2 or 3 kids in her class at Bear Creek, she's now above average (but not top 2 or 3) for her new class at Shaffer, but is a much happier child. So far Shaffer seems to be giving my daughter a good education while still allowing her to enjoy being a child, a very important but difficult mix to achieve.

Posted February 5, 2007

Kindergarten was exceptional. 1st grade has been disturbing. The 'specials' teachers are wonderful, especially Mrs. Chaves(PE). The Principal is the worst I've seen in 20 years in education. I'm disappointed in my neighborhood school. The test scores are great but students are not in a caring environment. The principal needs to focus on the school and not her own aspirations!

Posted September 19, 2006

Great School! Teachers are wonderful and so is the Principal.

Posted August 10, 2006

School is great, clean, modern. My daughter had a wonderful teacher. Very bad experience with the principal however. My impresson was of an arrogant person who felt she should not be bothered by mere parents.

Posted July 6, 2005

We have both positive and not so positive experience with this school. We enjoy the various activities provided by the PTA such as the Monster Mash Bash and International Night and several teachers have been ideal. On the other hand, we regret that they do not participate in any Science Fairs and don't have any kind of school carnival (Spring or Fall). I felt like my 6th grader was ill-equiped to deal with middle school due to an easy but 'popular' teacher. The parent involment is pretty good. The kindergarten program we found to be exceptional. We also liked the way they divide the kids for 'specials' like art, music, and P.E. Overall, we have had a very positive experience there.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

All Students94%

Students without disabilities83%
Proficient in English78%
Neither migrant nor immigrant79%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 7%N/A41%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom