Shaffer Elementary School 4

Posted October 01, 2013
I believe Shaffer is a great neighborhood school. My kids have had great teachers and many opportunities for extra-curricular activities. The parental involvement is high. The PTA and financial resources provided by parents is great. Like all schools we could work on some areas. All in all a great school!

Posted September 20, 2013
We've been a Shaffer family for years. I am always amazed at what an involved group of parents there are. There's a lottery to be able to chaperone on field trips, so many parents are willing to help. The teachers are, for the most part, great. There have been a few bad apples over the years, but they are addressed appropriately. Another thing we like about the school is that it pulls from several nearby neighborhoods, which lends to diversity. It's not all one type of family that attends, there are lots of different family situations. We considered puling our kids and sending them through the gifted program, but after talking with many parents and the principal, we decided to stay put. The teachers are so willing to challenge your kiddos within the classroom. Learning to work with all different types of people is what the 'real world' is like, anyway.

Posted March 11, 2013
I moved my child to a different school down the street. In kindergarten(a private k we paid for) my daughter was the role model student. She was very smart, well-behaved, and would help wherever you needed her to. At this school my daughter all of a sudden started having behavior issues. Literally out of the blue. She tested for the gifted and talented program and tested out of the regular school work. She was WAY ahead of where she needed to be. She was suppose to be put on an advanced learning plan and the teacher did nothing. My daughter lost most of what she had as far as academics and behavior. I'm so sad I let her finish the entire school year at this school instead of moving her. The principle was atrocious to work with she is not there for the children what-so-ever. My daughter is at a new school just a few miles away and the difference is mind blowing. To be fair my daughter only completed 1st grade at this school so my review is based only on 1 year. I have seen more than one family from last year at our new school. I can only imagine why.

Shaffer Elementary School 2

Posted October 03, 2012
The school is clean and although I do not feel my child is being bullied or physically abused, the curriculum or lack there of is atrocious! This is our first year in any Jefferson County school and we are extrememely disappointed. My son is in the 2nd grade and doing work he did in Kindergarten in our last school. The teacher is nice and tries, but she is a victim of the school district as we are. I looked into moving him to another district, but he didn't want to because staying at Shaffer has allowed him to do before school programs like Karate and Foriegn Language. But, those are offered by outside companies that come in and teach, not the school. I have had to adpopt a home school curriculum at hope to pick up the slack from the school. I look at Shaffer as nothing more than public daycare. Atleast he gets to socialize, that's about all he is getting out this school along with the extracurriculars. If you have exprememly low expectations for your child's education, send them here. We will probably be leaving after this year...sadly!

Posted September 25, 2012
Our kids had attended shaffer for two years when we decided to withdraw them and choose a safer learning environment. Friends of ours withdrew their children after just one month. Overcrowded and very low expectations for academic achievement and social behavior. Administration and faculty we experienced need much improvement in leadership and social skills. We agree with slander among faculty of student's personal information being an issue here. We also agree with bullying comments; both among students and unfortunately, some faculty directed towards the students daily. The administration seems to have lost control over the years from what we have gathered.

Posted August 28, 2012
Accusing teachers of bullying students is crazy? Your comment is crazy. Why would anyone choose to express their grief about a school they place their trust in for the care of their own child and fabricate? Please, spend your time investigating how to change the hostile environment rather then defend a broken system. There are specific teachers in this school that spread malicious rumors about children's parents and about the children to other parents and their children creating almost a war environment. Despicable.

Posted April 15, 2012
My son has been attending Shaffer for 4 years. He has had an exceptional teacher every year and we are very pleased with the instruction he is getting. The community of kids and parents are over-whelmingly supportive and friendly.

Posted February 29, 2012
Shaffer Elementary is an excellent school to consider if you are new to Littleton, Colorado or new to the Jefferson County School District. We found the school s curriculum challenging for all different ranges of learning. The staff at Shaffer is dedicated to the students and community. Shaffer s teachers are constantly working on improving their skills to be able to educate the students with state of the art technology. Shaffer also offers extracurricular activities such as a language, science, and music programs. There is also a running club, junior great books reading group, math group, writing group and choir. Shaffer also helped establish a sister school in Kenya, Africa. Some of the teachers go to Kenya and assists teaching at the sister school over summer break. The community supports Shaffer through volunteering hours, supporting PTA efforts, Watch Dog Dad program, and fund raising events. Shaffer has given our daughter the skills necessary to move forward on her progress towards higher levels of learning. All families experiences are different just like our perceptions. I encourage anyone interested in Shaffer Elementary to visit the school. We send our daughter

Posted February 28, 2012
My child has been at this school for 4 years now and has never experienced bullying nor has he witnessed any. I don't understand the previous reviewer's comments on bullying. Also, I think that accusing teachers of being involved in the bullying is crazy. This is a great school!!

Posted February 12, 2012
My daughter attended Shaffer for just 3 months before we decided to move her to a different school. Although she liked her teacher and the kids, the work was not challenging. When I communicated this to the teacher, absolutely nothing was done. In fact, when I told the teacher the books she was sending home for reading were too easy, she actually told me to have her read it backwards......unbelievable! When we decided to leave the school nobody even asked why. You would think that when a bright, well behaved child leaves a school that the teacher and/or principal would want to know why. I believe they simply don't care.

Shaffer Elementary School
7961 South Sangre De Cristo Rd, Littleton, CO  80127
Last modified Shaffer Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shaffer Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews.