Montessori Peaks Charter Academy

Charter | PK-8

Posted November 5, 2013

This is our 5th year at Montessori Peaks, & we keep growing to love it more. Our oldest started there in PreK, now in 3rd. Our second child is now in PreK, with the same teacher our first had. She has loved him since he was a little baby in my arms, and it makes us feel so great that both kids are in a place where they are loved and appreciated for who they are. We are very pleased with the academic instruction. In Montessori, it's basically like each child has an individual learning plan, so there is no limit to how far they can progress. They don't have to stay with the class or be kept back "at grade level." Our older child has tested "gifted" in multiple areas (we haven't tested the 4yo yet), but our kids are already getting a gifted & individualized education, so there is no need to move them for giftedness. We love that each classroom has two full time teachers: a lead teacher and a co-teacher. That support for the faculty helps enable them to have the patience & attention to get through each day being the best teachers they can be. We also appreciate the excellent "specials" instruction: music, art & PE. We are looking forward to our 3rd child being old enough to attend!

Posted October 11, 2013

This school is absolutely amazing! We sadly were only able to attend for a year (2012-2013) because we moved out of state BUT we had an amazing experience! I had read a few reviews about bullying, and not being challenged and wonder if these people tried working with administration? We had a bullying incident that was wonderfully handled immediately very well and professionally when I took it to the super amazing principal. We also dealt with teachers that weren't best fit for one of our kids and again administration was outstanding. Obviously every teacher isn't going to be right for every kid but if you have good administration (which this school does) you can get the right fit. The community is caring, welcoming and the staff all the way from the top down genuinely care - I highly recommend this school - five stars for sure!!

Posted September 29, 2013

This school does not make sure to provide challenging work. If your student is above average, they will not be challenged here. However, some teachers break the stereotype. Also, our child has had bullying problems here. The art program is enjoyable, though.

Posted September 26, 2013

MPA is a school that allows a community of students to individualize their education experience based on their own readiness to learn and styles of accumulating knowledge.

Posted July 9, 2013

After being in this school for a year, my daughter is now more respectful and increased their self-confidence.

Posted October 29, 2012

I have my third child going to MPA now and couldn't be happier. Jeffco keeps asking for more and more $ to fund the regular system which clearly isn't working and is full of waste, while MPA and other schools do a fantstic job with every penny they have. When you have as much administration as you do teaching staff (as in most other schools), it's no wonder you've blown your budget.

Posted May 29, 2012

I cannot say enough wonderful things about this school. We've been here 9 years. The Montessori philosophy emphasizes self direction and personal responsibility in the classroom, so it does take a little extra support from parents. Kids are taught to work out their differences peacefully. There is MUCH less bullying here than in a traditional neighborhood school; as when my kids go to various summer camps they come across much "tougher" kids than in school. All of my kids love reading, love going to school every day, and are at least one grade ahead in math. My sixth grader tested into algebra for middle school - Montessori math uses manipulatives to teach complex concepts. I wish I could have had that advantage! The teachers at this school are amazing. They are dedicated to teaching the whole child - its not just about academics here. They also really care about helping kids develop as responsible citizens. Kindness, compassion, and community are core principles of every classroom. The principle greets the kids at the door every day - she's always available and open to meeting with parents. My kids have developed a passion and hunger for learning here...priceless!

Posted September 28, 2011

I have 2 childrens at MPA. This is our 5th year at the school. I am an educator and have 2 other children who did not attend MPA. I have been in many elementary schools and feel the the amount of bullying at MPA is very low. When I have seen it, it was dealt with immediately and effectively. In my experience the multi-age grouping of students is what helps with bullying. Also, the montessori method of teaching math is exceptional. As a teacher, I am very happy with the math curriculum that my children have been exposed to at MPA. I love the Principal - the best I have seen. This school a great fit for my kids.

Posted September 8, 2011

Agree with last poster. MPA is VERY behind esp. in math. Whomever posted that hit it dead on. It is disheartening to know that so many people are blinded by the deception, lies, and unrealistic hopes MPA pretends exist. Hey, we fell for them too-initially ... although we were skeptical the entire time we were there. Bullying does occur. It mainly surfaces and is tolerated from the children of those who volunteer the most hours. If you have a problem with the bullying, clearly you do not volunteer enough time or money!

Posted September 8, 2011

This was not a good experience for us either. What hurts the most is that we tried to make it work. Do check out all of your options. Good schools do exist in Jeffco. There are many great schools out there. We are happier this fall. Worst decision we ever made was sending our child here.

Posted September 8, 2011

So glad that we have decided to move on. Should have done so many years ago. Leaving was the best decision we made.

Posted June 26, 2011

Here are the results for my 3 children. All three started in Primary and two completed sixth grade there. MPA prepared them well to be responsible self-motivated learners who love to learn. After MPA one excelled in her art magnet Denver school with 5.0 + gpa leaving there after 9th grade and excelled at her international high school graduating this year with honors & awards and 4.0 + gpa and was accepted at selective universities & was offered 4 scholarships including a full ride. The second excelled at her Jefferson County gifted program middle school and is now excelling at her international high school. The third who left MPA after 4th grade due to our move continues to score in 98th and 99th percentile (compared to US students) in reading and science. When she began her 5th grade year she scored at 99 percentile for math having only had Montessori math before that. These details are so you can see how successful the Montessori program as delivered by MPA can be for a student who comes ready to learn and starts the program in Primary & continues the program. There are other ways to measure quality but by this you can see how the transition to more traditional schools went.

Posted May 13, 2011

I am sure that all people have different experiences due to their own personal issues, but I have NEVER witnessed bullying at MPA, and I have had my daughter there for three years now (PK, K and now 1st grade). Montessori is not for every child, but if you have a child who can be taught to be self-reliant and be responsible for their own actions, you will be pleased. The principal is the best I have ever dealt with. I did have a problem with my daughter's glasses being broken (by accident) in PK, and it was taken care of within hours to my satisfaction. She will take as much time with you as you need. My daughter's teacher is a very high-expectations teacher, and I have full confidence that she will be well-prepared for the Upper Elementary level. I am grateful every day that my daughter was accepted into this school--especially after spending some time in regular public schools in the area.

Posted May 3, 2011

The best decision we ever made was leaving. The gt program they try and promote is not a recognized gt program... And yes, there is bullying here. Agree with all of the dissatisfied posts.

Posted April 26, 2011

AsMPA parents, we were thrilled to hear that MPA won the Governor's Distinguished Improvement Award, an honor awarded to only a few schools in the state. Let's use real benchmarks and not slander to rate this school. We are incredibly satisfied with the quality of the teachers and staff.

Posted February 11, 2011

MPA is a haven for rampant bullying and cronyism among the staff and administration. Our children were terrified in tthis hostile and unsafe environment. They have thrived academically and socially in their new school.

Posted January 21, 2011

Montessori Peaks Academy does not understand how to handle 504's and IEP's. The staff is interested in protected themselves and in covering up their inadequacies. Staff members who do not communicate with parents are supported by administration. We have withdrawn our children and would advise prospective student families to have MPA document any of their claims. These fact are unfortunate for the few teachers who place students above their own interests.

Posted December 9, 2010

Biggest mistake I made was sending my children to this school. Be aware that if your child needs any form of additional support in the classroom they will not get it here.

Posted October 24, 2010

We are in our first year at MPA and are extremely impressed. The school teachers, staff, and parents are highly involved and dedicated to creating an enriching and educational environment for the children.

Posted July 5, 2009

Both of my girls went to this school and loved it. The principal is the best ever (I wish I could take her with us to my childrens furture schools

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Female77%

White (not Hispanic)73%
Proficient in English74%
Neither migrant nor immigrant72%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 9%N/A41%
Male 53%N/A51%
Female 47%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Join PTO/PTA
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9904 West Capri Ave