Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted May 27, 2015
I feel very uncomfortable with the staff at this school. I had my doubts before, but now I am more concerned. after the recent Jeffco meeting, I do not trust them. I got that email from the principal, about that everything that was said is not true, but Jeffco said it was, at least to some level. They even said that the school has to do some training because of what they did to the family. That is not what the school leadership said. they said that they did nothing wrong, but that is not the whole story. I feel used by them.

Montessori Peaks Charter Academy 1

Posted May 27, 2015
I am sad that I supported this school. My child has been at MPA for years, and we did not really have too many problems. The schoolwork is not montessori, but that is not a big complaint. My child's teacher is ok, nothing to brag about, but nothing to get too upset about either. What I am really upset about is how we operate. The principal sent out this big campaign about a family, about how they lied. But I watched the Jeffco meeting and heard what their investigator said about MPA staff. They said staff were doing wrong things, even if it did not conform to the exact rules they looked at. They even said they are making 3 or 4 staff (is that more than teachers?) do some kind of training or something. But I got an email from MPA saying they already looked into this and said the family is lying. I never talked to the family, and all the talk around the school was not in their favor. I feel very ashamed of my lack of asking, and for how MPA staff and principal misled me. My child has a year left at this school, and I think he will stay, moving schools is hard. I will never look at this school or the staff the same again. This school is not all bad. there are some good things, and some very nice students. My son has great friends here. I am just sad that I got caught up the fever that the staff spread.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted May 27, 2015
I don't really think children need homework. they should be able to get it done in class.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted May 27, 2015
I have not seen anything about this for my child. They keep sending home those stupid math sheets, but my son said they never teach him how to do them. so, I guess they are teaching persistence with that?

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted May 27, 2015
I do not think this school is handling things well. I am very disappointed with what I have heard from the staff. They do not respect the parents, and I think this is carrying forward to our children.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted May 27, 2015
I think the kids are ok, but this is a do what I say, not a do what I do school. There is a very big problem with staff behavior and influencing parents into not paying attention.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted May 27, 2015
I feel very mislead by the staff at this school. After hearing what Jeffco had to say, I feel that MPA lied to me. There needs to be accountability for the leadership of this school. I am concerned about what the big report they talked about will say about what has been going on.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted May 26, 2015
Our child's teacher actively campaigned against PARCC in the classroom. The class started with one student opting out. Although the teacher has the right to her opinion about PARCC she should not be campaigning against it to the children. The teacher hugged kids and gave high-fives when they opted out. She wrote on the board that the "R" stands for ridiculous. When the principal overheard a student say that she said she addressed it with the teacher. Prior to this we emailed the teacher about our concerns on the way she was handling this. We don't have an opinion on the test yet but were not happy with the environment being created around the test. The teacher's behavior continued. We then met with the principal. After that meeting the teacher continued to campaign against the test until 8 out of 12 kids opted out. She told the kids that she did not prepare them properly. She told the 3rd graders that there was 5th grade math on the test. The kids who were left taking the test were left to feel ostracized, nervous, uncomfortable and ill prepared. The teacher's job is to put the students in the best position possible to do well on the test. My child was very nervous and didn't understand why she had to take the test when her classmates did not. She put the 4 kids that did take the test in the worst position possible. When we emailed the principal about the issues that continued after our meeting she did not even reply. Furthermore, the tests are done on computers. The students have very little experience using computers in that school. They certainly have not used it for testing. Technology is lacking in a major way. This falls on the administration. Both the lack of technology, the lack of preparation using computers for testing, and the lack of response and professionalism is appalling. PARCC is something the administration and teachers should have been preparing for. Our teacher had not felt it important to be prepared or prepare the students for a national standardized test. We were very excited about MPA. Unfortunately after 3 years with our teacher we pulled our student out of the school. Although there are many good teachers in this school it was clear when there is an issue the administration is unwilling or incapable of dealing with it. It's not worth taking a chance for the next 3 years.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted May 25, 2015
Depends on the teacher. There are some excellent ones and some bad ones. My daughter's teacher did her job. My daughter progressed. I've heard stories from parents who cannot say the same.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted May 25, 2015
Bullying is swept under the carpet, especially if the bullying is done by the child of an employee.

9904 West Capri Ave, Littleton, CO  80123
Last modified Montessori Peaks Charter Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Montessori Peaks Charter Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 62 reviews. Top