Littleton, CO

John Wesley Powell Middle School 4

Posted January 09, 2014
My child is a 6th grader at Powell and we've been so pleased with the school. The teacher have been terrific and the school is very well run.

Posted December 04, 2013
I went to PMS for my 6th and 7th years of middle school and that was the best time of my life. Man y reviews say this school only cares for high test scores and kids here have too much self-entitlement, but I came here coming from a poor family and never saw any of this. My teachers helped me succeed and advance in my studies along with my peers. Although I do admit there was bullying issues every once in a while, it was never as dramatic as others have made it seem. As for the social scene, I was poor and never wore any name brands and I was just fine. The community may not be completely geared towards making sure everyone feels at home, but the academics are beyond compare. The teachers curriculums are far ahead of many other schools I've been to. So much as to say that I didn't learn anything in my 8th grade year because of how fast teachers at Powell advance. This school may not be for everyone, but it is perfect for kids who feel bored in classes and truely want to learn and develop their minds at a faster pace than they can now.

Posted November 11, 2013
I am a former student of Powell. I absolutely loved it there. All the teachers were fantastic and all of the administration were great and cared lots about the students. I would definitely recommend sending your kids there. My academics increased tons through middle school due to the great squad of teachers there. Go Pumas!

John Wesley Powell Middle School 3

Posted August 22, 2013
I was overall satisfied with the general school performance. I felt the principals, band English, art and science teachers were very caring and passionate. I was very disappointed with the mathematics department. I felt the overall attitude was one of collecting a paycheck and waiting to retire... Very little interest or feeling for struggling students. I was a bit disappointed in the "mean girl" culture... Perhaps that is middle school? I think there should be alot more effort on the inspiration for kindness!! Mixed bag...

Posted July 17, 2013
I am currently a 7th grader at Powell Middle School. This school has various groups and not very nice kids. I have been bulied along with some other just because of the way I dress, the car my parents drive, and where I live. Also the prinipal is unfair to all and not a big help to children who need it.

Posted November 29, 2012
Stay very far away from this school if you want your kids to develop healthy relationships with their peers. Most of the kids have a sense of entitlement, and think the world revolves around them. There is a ton of peer pressure, which the administration does nothing about. The principal walks around campus like some kind of big-shot, with a plastered smile on his face--all the while pretending like everything is under control. I've heard great things about Euclid. Euclid has a reputation for hiring teachers who care, and they have a principal who fosters an environment of respect. There is also a leadership program that encourages students to make personal goals and give back to the community. I really don't think you'll find anything close to that at Powell.

John Wesley Powell Middle School 2

Posted September 24, 2012
My daughter is in her 2nd year at Powell. I am very impressed with one of the counselors and how he handled a situation that could have turned into bullying. There are some good teachers at Powell as well. The administration is terrible. The Principal seems to only be focused on good PR for the school. He seems to lack the character and depth needed for this key leadership position. The same seems to be true for the VP as well. I would change my daughter to another middle school but because of friends at such a hard age, we will likely stick it out there. Euclid seems to be a much better school. I understand the principal and teachers there are outstanding. I'm not sure about Goddard. Denver Public Schools are also showing very strong middle schools. My 4th grader will not attend Powell.

Posted August 07, 2012
I am a former student and was severely disappointed, even traumatized during my time at Powell. I have always been particularly bright and had little trouble academically. I throughly enjoyed the wide variety of classes available, however socially Powell is brutal. The girls are all highly competitive, and cruel. I remeber feeling completely isolated socially because I didn't hang out with the "right people", nor did I buy my attire from American Eagle, Hollister, Abercrombie, etc. when I had the option of shopping at high end boutiques instead. Most students have lots of money, and are harsh on those who do not. I remember a girl giving me a hard time because my nanny drove a car that was more than 10 years old. I have become close friends with lots of people who attended Powell as well, most whom I know until after graduation, and they all felt similarly isolated . The one benefit of being a pariah at Powell is that it gives you tough skin and helps you to become more socially ept later in life. Most of the people I know who were on the outs at Powell, myself included, become very popular in high school as they have fared social Sibera and have vowed to never let it happen again.

Posted February 12, 2012
If you want your child to experience cliques, girls wearing make-up at age 11, extreme competitiveness, sink-or-swim attitudes with teachers, and a phony principal--then this is the school for you! I highly recommend checking out other middle schools before subjecting your child to this place. Middle school is hard enough without the pressures and other garbage that are prevalent at Powell.

Posted August 18, 2011
Powell is an excellent school. Both of my daughters are currently attending. The teachers are great and parents are empowered and included. Each year I opt my children out of the CSAP tests, now named TCAP. The administrators and teachers are supportive of parental rights when it comes to protecting the interests of our children. The administrator even commented, "Parents have the final authority in regards to their child's education."

John Wesley Powell Middle School
8000 South Corona Way, Littleton, CO  80122
Last modified John Wesley Powell Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Wesley Powell Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top