Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

The principal is not approachable and has an agenda that is only tied to GT program and band/music kids. He talks about himself at almost every event for most of the event. The office has an air of indifference and most times are very curt. Quite a bit of bullying goes on at this school, I have heard it from many parents. Parents are left in the dark about what is going on, there is very little communication. They expect all communication to you to come through your child, including school events, conference info, last minute cancellations of after school activities (and needing to take an early bus), etc.. The flip side is that most teachers make up for the administration. They are excellent, caring and go out of their way to make sure students learn, even offering after school and lunchtime help. They get to know your child as best they can in this very large school and are approachable. They are the reason to love Powell. I really wish the office could learn from the teachers here and get it together.

Our child came to Powell from private schools. Unfortunately, we have to relocate at the end of this school year, or we would be thrilled to finish out middle school here. This school has been amazing and exceeded our initial expectations on every level. From the students, to the teachers, to the administration - it has been a positive experience. As a family, we all hate leaving Powell and wonder how the next school can compare. The teachers really care about student success. There are really no cliques or social drama. We don't worry at all about safety or bullying as the school actively addresses any issues quickly.

This is an amazing school. So far, I have not met one teacher I didn't like. The teachers give challenges that are the perfect level and very fun. I've only gone here for one year, and I love it. When I had a math level problem, they fixed it so that I was in the right math class for me. Out of three schools, this is my favorite one so far. If you are looking for schools, I highly suggest enrolling here.

So Powell. I whent there for 6th grade and hated it. I was Abel to escape going into 7th gread and now go to EUCLID the best school ever. But Powell was awful I had no friends and feelt very out of place. With no theater at this school I don't recommend it to people who like that. But if you are a prep and don't mind being face go ahead you will be a great fit. So Ya HATE POWELL

My child is a 6th grader at Powell and we've been so pleased with the school. The teacher have been terrific and the school is very well run.

I went to PMS for my 6th and 7th years of middle school and that was the best time of my life. Man y reviews say this school only cares for high test scores and kids here have too much self-entitlement, but I came here coming from a poor family and never saw any of this. My teachers helped me succeed and advance in my studies along with my peers. Although I do admit there was bullying issues every once in a while, it was never as dramatic as others have made it seem. As for the social scene, I was poor and never wore any name brands and I was just fine. The community may not be completely geared towards making sure everyone feels at home, but the academics are beyond compare. The teachers curriculums are far ahead of many other schools I've been to. So much as to say that I didn't learn anything in my 8th grade year because of how fast teachers at Powell advance. This school may not be for everyone, but it is perfect for kids who feel bored in classes and truely want to learn and develop their minds at a faster pace than they can now.

I am a former student of Powell. I absolutely loved it there. All the teachers were fantastic and all of the administration were great and cared lots about the students. I would definitely recommend sending your kids there. My academics increased tons through middle school due to the great squad of teachers there. Go Pumas!

I was overall satisfied with the general school performance. I felt the principals, band English, art and science teachers were very caring and passionate. I was very disappointed with the mathematics department. I felt the overall attitude was one of collecting a paycheck and waiting to retire... Very little interest or feeling for struggling students. I was a bit disappointed in the "mean girl" culture... Perhaps that is middle school? I think there should be alot more effort on the inspiration for kindness!! Mixed bag...

I am currently a 7th grader at Powell Middle School. This school has various groups and not very nice kids. I have been bulied along with some other just because of the way I dress, the car my parents drive, and where I live. Also the prinipal is unfair to all and not a big help to children who need it.

Stay very far away from this school if you want your kids to develop healthy relationships with their peers. Most of the kids have a sense of entitlement, and think the world revolves around them. There is a ton of peer pressure, which the administration does nothing about. The principal walks around campus like some kind of big-shot, with a plastered smile on his face--all the while pretending like everything is under control. I've heard great things about Euclid. Euclid has a reputation for hiring teachers who care, and they have a principal who fosters an environment of respect. There is also a leadership program that encourages students to make personal goals and give back to the community. I really don't think you'll find anything close to that at Powell.

Last modified John Wesley Powell Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.