Bad
Good

Develops character: Strongly agree

I have 2 children at LA. One is in the gifted and talented program which pushes kids to reach their highest potential. My other child is not as much into school but is learning how to manage time and study. This school teaches kids to be responsible for themselves. I love it!

Excellent school. Excellent teachers, administration and staff. My children have been attending this school for 5 years and we've been extremely happy. I have one child that is high achieving and 1 child with learning difficulties - they have both been given exceptional support and have received excellent educations at LA. Yes, there are high expectations regarding both academics and behavior but certainly nothing unreasonable and I'm thrilled my children will be thoroughly prepared for high school. The Principal works tirelessly and is truly dedicated to the school, the children, the staff and the parents.

To the person who said they got "yelled at"for wearing a green bow in their hair: I don't believe that for a second. Whether anyone approves of the methods at this school, it's clear that the motives of all involved, is to give the kids the best chance at life they can. The previous principal and vice principal were excellent - they were in lived, invested, and were true to the curriculum and student handbook. No one was out to get children. But they were people of high integrity and therefore they expected the very clearly laid out rules to be followed. I want that kind of strength and integrity in a school that teaches core virtues. The new principal and vice principal seem similarly motivated - they strive to do the right thing for the kids and the school and do their best to stay true to the founding principles of LA. They may not be perfect, but they definitely care.

I am a student at Littleton Academy. My school is a wonderful school in many ways. Some ways are: 1) NO bullies allowed 2) Excellent teachers 3) Nice students. My school can improve by being a little easy on what kind of shoes you wear. For example, if my shoes are untied, they MUST be tied right then and there. ALl in all, my school is a wonderful school

we've been at LA since 2006 and my child just entered middle school there -- I was prepared to set aside hours each evening for homework but it has been totally manageable. The teachers give them plenty of direction and time at school plus there are study halls available -- in addition to teachers asking that students come see them if they need extra help. With a new principal and vice principal on board, the school is taking lots of steps to ensure that a core knowledge rigorous education through 8th grade is not only attainable it can also be FUN. Kudos to all the great staff and teachers at LA -- it is so obvious that you all really care about the kids.

to all those that insist that the homework is ridiculous, i know that - i am a student! however hard all that homework is, the teachers give you tools to help manage it. they also make sure that you use the tools. as far as i know, the uniforms help keep bullying down, and the rules are mostly pretty reasonable. i might be wrong about this, but it seems to me that what matters most is how the teachers, not the administration, interact with the kids. all the teachers are super nice (i think) and to me as a student, that's what matters most.

My kids have received a private school education at a public school by attending Littleton Academy. While they have really disliked some aspects of the school (uniforms and homework) they also knew it was preparing them for high school and life. For years alumni told us high school was a breeze, and then we found out it was true. My youngest no longer complains about the homework because he knows it is getting him ready for high school and beyond.

We sent all of our children through Littleton Academy (from 1996 - 2008), and while each of them found a rule to hate (dress code, or discipline, or something) and each resented the homework from time to time, as they watched the neighbors playing outside, reaching high school cured that! Every single one of our children has thanked us for having the fortitude to withstand the complaints and provide the support to ensure that they received the best educational foundation we could provide. As they met new challenges in high school with less trepidation than their "regular public school" peers and achieved successes that surprised and delighted their sometimes jaded teachers, they realized that the knowledge they'd gained and, more importantly, the ability to think critically that they'd developed at LA far overshadowed any rules or minutes missed outside. My family, knowing what we know now, would make exactly the same decision again to attend this school.

What Charter Schools like Littleton Academy provide is an opportunity for parents to be intimately involved in their child's education. As a very involved parent of two children at Littleton Academy, this has made all the difference in the quality of their education. Is there a lot of homework? Yes. Is the discipline strict? Yes. Does the school set these high standards because they know these kids are capable of reaching them? Yes. Do I have a voice if I feel something is not right, or my child needs something more? Absolutely. If you are a parent who wants to be very involved in your child's education - including helping with homework every single night, attending multiple parent/teacher meetings, volunteering at least 20-hours per year, supporting the discipline standards at home as well as at school - then Littleton Academy is the school for you. If you answered "no" to any of those questions, then it may not be the right fit.

I really question the 4 star - when looking at all the reviews they have a few recent good rating (I wonder why??) but many that follow are bad. The adminstration is leaving and I am sure it will be a much more positive experience at the school. Children need to have a school enviroment that is positive, offer experiences of caring and support, not adversarial, this produces great academic learning. Thanks to the governing board it might turn around to be an outstanding school like it was years ago. This would offer a culture that the kids love, teachers can teach and the parents are proud.

Last modified Littleton Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.