Public charter
Littleton, CO

Posted August 04, 2014
Excellent school. Excellent teachers, administration and staff. My children have been attending this school for 5 years and we've been extremely happy. I have one child that is high achieving and 1 child with learning difficulties - they have both been given exceptional support and have received excellent educations at LA. Yes, there are high expectations regarding both academics and behavior but certainly nothing unreasonable and I'm thrilled my children will be thoroughly prepared for high school. The Principal works tirelessly and is truly dedicated to the school, the children, the staff and the parents.

Littleton Academy 3

Posted March 01, 2014
To the person who said they got "yelled at"for wearing a green bow in their hair: I don't believe that for a second. Whether anyone approves of the methods at this school, it's clear that the motives of all involved, is to give the kids the best chance at life they can. The previous principal and vice principal were excellent - they were in lived, invested, and were true to the curriculum and student handbook. No one was out to get children. But they were people of high integrity and therefore they expected the very clearly laid out rules to be followed. I want that kind of strength and integrity in a school that teaches core virtues. The new principal and vice principal seem similarly motivated - they strive to do the right thing for the kids and the school and do their best to stay true to the founding principles of LA. They may not be perfect, but they definitely care.

Littleton Academy 4

Posted November 10, 2013
I am a student at Littleton Academy. My school is a wonderful school in many ways. Some ways are: 1) NO bullies allowed 2) Excellent teachers 3) Nice students. My school can improve by being a little easy on what kind of shoes you wear. For example, if my shoes are untied, they MUST be tied right then and there. ALl in all, my school is a wonderful school

Posted September 04, 2012
we've been at LA since 2006 and my child just entered middle school there -- I was prepared to set aside hours each evening for homework but it has been totally manageable. The teachers give them plenty of direction and time at school plus there are study halls available -- in addition to teachers asking that students come see them if they need extra help. With a new principal and vice principal on board, the school is taking lots of steps to ensure that a core knowledge rigorous education through 8th grade is not only attainable it can also be FUN. Kudos to all the great staff and teachers at LA -- it is so obvious that you all really care about the kids.

Posted July 27, 2012
to all those that insist that the homework is ridiculous, i know that - i am a student! however hard all that homework is, the teachers give you tools to help manage it. they also make sure that you use the tools. as far as i know, the uniforms help keep bullying down, and the rules are mostly pretty reasonable. i might be wrong about this, but it seems to me that what matters most is how the teachers, not the administration, interact with the kids. all the teachers are super nice (i think) and to me as a student, that's what matters most.

Posted January 12, 2012
My kids have received a private school education at a public school by attending Littleton Academy. While they have really disliked some aspects of the school (uniforms and homework) they also knew it was preparing them for high school and life. For years alumni told us high school was a breeze, and then we found out it was true. My youngest no longer complains about the homework because he knows it is getting him ready for high school and beyond.

Posted July 29, 2011
We sent all of our children through Littleton Academy (from 1996 - 2008), and while each of them found a rule to hate (dress code, or discipline, or something) and each resented the homework from time to time, as they watched the neighbors playing outside, reaching high school cured that! Every single one of our children has thanked us for having the fortitude to withstand the complaints and provide the support to ensure that they received the best educational foundation we could provide. As they met new challenges in high school with less trepidation than their "regular public school" peers and achieved successes that surprised and delighted their sometimes jaded teachers, they realized that the knowledge they'd gained and, more importantly, the ability to think critically that they'd developed at LA far overshadowed any rules or minutes missed outside. My family, knowing what we know now, would make exactly the same decision again to attend this school.

Posted July 29, 2011
What Charter Schools like Littleton Academy provide is an opportunity for parents to be intimately involved in their child's education. As a very involved parent of two children at Littleton Academy, this has made all the difference in the quality of their education. Is there a lot of homework? Yes. Is the discipline strict? Yes. Does the school set these high standards because they know these kids are capable of reaching them? Yes. Do I have a voice if I feel something is not right, or my child needs something more? Absolutely. If you are a parent who wants to be very involved in your child's education - including helping with homework every single night, attending multiple parent/teacher meetings, volunteering at least 20-hours per year, supporting the discipline standards at home as well as at school - then Littleton Academy is the school for you. If you answered "no" to any of those questions, then it may not be the right fit.

Littleton Academy 1

Posted April 20, 2011
I really question the 4 star - when looking at all the reviews they have a few recent good rating (I wonder why??) but many that follow are bad. The adminstration is leaving and I am sure it will be a much more positive experience at the school. Children need to have a school enviroment that is positive, offer experiences of caring and support, not adversarial, this produces great academic learning. Thanks to the governing board it might turn around to be an outstanding school like it was years ago. This would offer a culture that the kids love, teachers can teach and the parents are proud.

Posted March 11, 2011
I graduated from Littleton Academy after attending for 8 years. I must admit that as a student I found the rules annoying and silly but when do kids ever know what's best for them? Looking back I am thankful for the uniform, the homework, and the high standards. I know so much about the English language that normal public schools never seem to mention as well as a cursory knowledge of spanish and an outstanding knowledge of mathematics. I learned how to spell and write both cursive and print legibly. I found that I was given enough homework to sufficiently learn the material without ever feeling overwhelmed. I practiced gymnastics 4 nights a week and was still able to complete my homework because my parents and teachers helped me develop good time management skills that I practiced all through high school and still use now in college. My favorite teachers are still at Littleton Academy and I wish I had met anyone as effective in high school. This is an excellent school.

Littleton Academy
1200 West Mineral Ave, Littleton, CO  80120
Last modified Littleton Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Littleton Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top