Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

My son just started this year in 8th grade after relocating from a top rated school district from another state. We couldn't be happier with Rocky Heights middle school. My son is on the Navigator team and made friends right away. My husband and I have been very impressed with the staff, teachers and principal Celine Wicks. I love the team teaching approach. The school is on the cutting edge of using technology and teaching technology to students. The parent portal website makes it easy to track attendance, grades and connect with the teachers. My son needed to be in an advanced French class and Lori Qui, the school guidance counselor, went above and beyond to accommodate getting him into the high school French class. The school also emphasizes accountability, kindness and anti-bullying into the culture. I give this school high marks.

Supports LD students: Agree

The team teaching approach I think works well for teachers and students. The teachers keep track of a students progress in different ways and have made it clear that they won't let kids slide through if they don't understand a skill or concept. Individual help is available and made known to the students.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

There has been some turnover in recent years but it seems that things have settled in for RHMS and Douglas county as a whole. I like Celine Wicks. She is experienced and was very welcoming to us as new Colorado residents this year. She sends emails to parents to update on important topics related to the school.

Develops character: Agree

I have seen many emails and community school events regarding integrity, compassion, respect and anti-bullying. In fact there is a school event on Nov. 15th, Rachel's Challenge about all these things. These character traits are posted on banners in the hallways and ROK respect, ownership and kindness is the RHMS mantra. There are volunteer parents who are on a committee acting as confidential ears for students to report any bullying or other negative or harmful things going on at school. My experience is that no one turns a blind eye to any disrespect at this school.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

The edmodo and google docs and the other online technology makes it easy for kids to complete their homework from anywhere. They also do a lot of group assignments which is fun for my son. Some of the subjects are taught in a flipped way meaning most of the teaching content is found online and most of the practicing of the skill is done in the classroom. They allow an appropriate amount of time for assignments and it is easy to keep track of homework complete and missing through the parent portal.

I really enjoyed my time at RHMS, but I don't think the school really encourages modesty and respect the way it should. I felt as if things like dress code were somewhat trivial, and that teachers tended to turn a blind eye more often than desired. I know too many people who weren't acting the way they should as 7th or 8th graders. I wouldn't say avoid this school, because there are lots of great teachers and staff, but let your child know what's right and what's wrong. My parents did, and I'm very happy to know that.

Amount of homework: Disagree

There is somewhat too much homework, but I have had no trouble adjusting to high school because of it.

LOVE this school! Kids are great and so are the teachers. Everyone is involved and people really feel welcomed. RHMS made school so much fun and I would defiantly go back for another round of middle school! Overall, one of the best schools you can ever enroll your child in!

Disappointed in the direction of this school. So much bullying among the girls and the dress code is not enforced. The amount of wealth from the families that feed into this school has proven to be a drawback on the culture of the school's student body.

Great school, great teachers! After first year (sixth grade) and a great long summer, my son is very excited to get back to school. He has already logged on to school website to check his new schedule, teachers and class team! Found out that he has made advanced math. Never thought my son would be so happy to get back to school.

Last modified Rocky Heights Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.